Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 PM

332 posts, read 435,869 times

Advertisements

You should have a look in another thread: how far away can you see your skyline.

From Big Yellow Mountain, you can see Charlotte from 91 miles away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Ohio has over 2,500 lakes. However, only 20 of those lakes are natural.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,678 times
According to Google Maps, those residents of Lawrenceville, PA, whose homes are located on the north side of Mill and State Streets actually live in New York.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
US paper money is not always printed in Washington anymore. Starting in 1991, some of it is printed in Fort Worth, Texas.
Those Fort Worth bills can be identified by the letters FW before the tiny control number on the right side of the front of the bill.

The second letter of the serial number identifies which of the 12 district Federal Reserve banks put the bill into circulation. That letter corresponds (A-L) to the city by a code that can be determined by looking at one-dollar bills, which name the city and the letter in the seal on the left side of the front of the bill, instead of using it as a part of the serial number. Depending on where you live, most of the bills in your pocket will reflect a district bank near you.

(I hope this qualifies as an Oddity of Geography.)

Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,463,064 times
The Commonwealth Ave bridge is the only bridge in the US (maybe even world) where a boat can pass under a train passing under a car passing under a plane at the same exact time.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 PM

A personal oddity: In grades K-5, my family lived in County F, and I walked to the elementary school across the county line in County D. Then we moved about 5 blocks to County D, and in grades 7-12, I walked across the county line to go to middle and high school in County F.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A personal oddity: In grades K-5, my family lived in County F, and I walked to the elementary school across the county line in County D. Then we moved about 5 blocks to County D, and in grades 7-12, I walked across the county line to go to middle and high school in County F.
Was this an ISD in Texas? They seem to have no respect for city limits or county boundaries.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Was this an ISD in Texas? They seem to have no respect for city limits or county boundaries.
No, Wisconsin. The town was only big enough for one school and the county line ran right down Main Street. I doubt if there are very many states (if any) where school districts are constrained from crossing county lines. School districts enjoy their own taxing authority and electoral processes, so it doesn't matter about any other jurisdictional bodies that exist incidentally.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-17-2013 at 11:56 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, Wisconsin. The town was only big enough for one school and the county line ran right down Main Street. I doubt if there are very many states (if any) where school districts are constrained from crossing county lines. School districts enjoy their own taxing authority and electoral processes, so it doesn't matter about any other jurisdictional bodies that exist incidentally.
Sounds like Wisconsin has districts much like the ISDs in Texas. Very different from my home state of Georgia where school districts are run almost exclusively by the county. New city systems were banned in the 70s, the only city systems that remain are those that existed prior and were grandfathered in.

It was very confusing when I came to Texas and would see, in my city, a real estate ad that would say "McKinney city limits, Frisco ISD."

Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Sounds like Wisconsin has districts much like the ISDs in Texas. Very different from my home state of Georgia where school districts are run almost exclusively by the county. New city systems were banned in the 70s, the only city systems that remain are those that existed prior and were grandfathered in.

It was very confusing when I came to Texas and would see, in my city, a real estate ad that would say "McKinney city limits, Frisco ISD."
Keep in mind that the Atlanta area and Georgia in general has smaller counties and less incorporated towns/cities. It isn't the right way of doing things, but it's just a different way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.