Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 14,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
You can't be serious can you...you don't think that Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Virginia are Southern? They are called the Upper South. THere is much more to the South than just the Deep South.
Virginia not in the South HAHAHA!http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/philmydoyle/confederate_states_map1.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 04:28 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,957,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
I live in Florida now and the northern influences are greater than you think. The first town I lived in was Palm Coast. It was planned out by a group from New York City and most of its residents are from NYC/NJ. Where I live now, Sarasota, is a mecca for midwesterners and midwestern retirees. I'm not kidding here, I think I've never heard a southern accent while living in Palm Coast or Sarasota. Cape Coral was the brain child of midwestern transplants. Also alot of Florida cities mayors and council members are transplants too.

Clearly Florida is a southern state, but the whole state was basically built from the resources of northern transplants, which makes it different from the other southern states. I am looking at Florida today, not during the Civil War.

I refer to Sarasota and SW FL as Michigan South!
i used to live in florida and east of sarasota in a town called sebring, fl, is VERY southern to me. and ive heard southern accents in palm beach county around belle glade and pahokee.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
First off, Missouri was not a Confederate state. Culturally it is not Southern, nor is it economically. The state convention was pro-Union, the state did not economically depend on slavery, and twice as many people supported the Union as the confederacy. The same applies with Kentucky, although I think Kentucky was more divided than Missouri as evidenced by the Russellville Convention, plus Confederates took control of the state after the Civil War. and The real South begins below the Ohio River east of the Mississippi to the Kentucky West Virginia border, and is roughly below U.S. 60 in West Virginia. Virginia is a Southern state, but it becomes more Northern the further north you go of Highway 60. By the time you are at D.C., you are no longer in the South. That's is a boundary that I know to be true simply because I have skirted this line numerous times and get the same experience every time.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:17 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
First off, Missouri was not a Confederate state. Culturally it is not Southern, nor is it economically. The state convention was pro-Union, the state did not economically depend on slavery, and twice as many people supported the Union as the confederacy. The same applies with Kentucky, although I think Kentucky was more divided than Missouri as evidenced by the Russellville Convention, plus Confederates took control of the state after the Civil War. and The real South begins below the Ohio River east of the Mississippi to the Kentucky West Virginia border, and is roughly below U.S. 60 in West Virginia. Virginia is a Southern state, but it becomes more Northern the further north you go of Highway 60. By the time you are at D.C., you are no longer in the South. That's is a boundary that I know to be true simply because I have skirted this line numerous times and get the same experience every time.
AJ? You and I never give up, do we? You are as adament that Missouri is NOT Southern as I am that Texas IS! LOL

But seriously, I am sure this map was intended humorously, as many of the states were never a part of the CSA and, further, some of them not even states at the time. I imagine the whole thing represents a map of what MIGHT have been had "we" won.

Actually, I always thought THIS map was just about as good as any so far as "shading" in the state/portions of them which are either purely Southern or MUCH more Southern than not. It is the one which shows the extent of what is broadly known as "Southern American English".

One thing though, I would include more of Florida...

Image:Southern American English.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-01-2008, 08:31 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
AJ? You and I never give up, do we? You are as adament that Missouri is NOT Southern as I am that Texas IS! LOL

But seriously, I am sure this map was intended humorously, as many of the states were never a part of the CSA and, further, some of them not even states at the time. I imagine the whole thing represents a map of what MIGHT have been had "we" won.

Actually, I always thought THIS map was just about as good as any so far as "shading" in the state/portions of them which are either purely Southern or MUCH more Southern than not. It is the one which shows the extent of what is broadly known as "Southern American English".

One thing though, I would include more of Florida...

Image:Southern American English.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have seen that map myself and agree with it too for the most part, although again, I consider Virginia as being Southern except for Northern Virginia, although it once was Southern too. I never said anywhere, like this Phil guy accused me of, that Virginia wasn't a Southern state. Furthermore, I don't have a problem with the idea of Texas being Southern either. It's not lacking much.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:33 AM

311 posts, read 1,058,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
This has been discussed a lot.

The Mason-Dixon line is really the most accurate and the oldest established way to determine the where the South begins.

Anything below that line is the South or close to it. Anything about the line is yankee.

This is a very good map of the cultural South:

Why wouldn't Florida be "the south"?

Old 02-02-2008, 07:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire372~ View Post
Because Florida is a part of New Jersey that someone broke off and planted closer to the equator for the express purpose of providing a warm-weather haven for retirees from Northern states.

That's why.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:45 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
Quote:
Personally, I never cared for nor put much stock in "maps" published primarily as "tour guide" sorts. Like this one is. I have seen them which put Texas in the Deep South and Virginia in the Northeast. And Arkansas and Kentucky in the Midwest. LOL

Most of these things are put out by Big City concerns from which stem no clue as to what an historical/cultural region really is.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:44 PM

311 posts, read 1,058,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Because Florida is a part of New Jersey that someone broke off and planted closer to the equator for the express purpose of providing a warm-weather haven for retirees from Northern states.

That's why.
Ahh... it all makes sense now.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Ahh... it all makes sense now.
Glad to be of assistance. And I am a genuine Southerner, so you can totally trust my explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.