Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 06:23 AM

3,290 posts, read 9,187,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Im sure they were refering to the Southern Appalachians.....
They typically are but a vast majority of people do not realize that the Appalachian range actually goes up so far into Canada. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
According to the Southern Focus Poll results, the states in which the majority of people both claim they live in the South, and also consider themselves Southerners (with gaps in each case) are the 11 Old Confederate States plus Kentucky and Oklahoma.

There is another survey done (which I am trying to locate and post) where residents were given choices as to regional affliliation. That is to say, rather than just simply ask the respondent if they lived in the South, they were given a choice of naming the region themselves. For example, many from Oklahoma chose "Midwest" over "South" when given the option.

I remember that Texans went 71% for South. However, as indicated by certain displayed maps, the noteable exception was in the trans-pecos area which was heavily in favor of "West."

Anyway, I will try and find that study and map....

Old 09-09-2007, 11:57 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
They typically are but a vast majority of people do not realize that the Appalachian range actually goes up so far into Canada. Liz
The Appalachian chain shares a lot of things , north to south. Mainly the typographic,- rocks , plant life, animals , and often the weather. I lived many years in the Blue Ridge ( NC ), and was often heard to say, " The attitude , was tempered by the latitude, northern in nature by altitude " . There is a lot of thought that can be gleaned from those words........

Old 09-09-2007, 12:08 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raliwa View Post
Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina..
You can't be serious can you...you don't think that Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Virginia are Southern? They are called the Upper South. THere is much more to the South than just the Deep South.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:03 PM

217 posts, read 879,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Well, you probably know better what are you talking about than me, but I've been to Florida at least 50 times, and have covered pretty much all of the state. From my experience however, I'll be damned if Florida feels Northern anywhere you go. It's Southern culture may be limited to the Northern parts, but its cities still look Southern in terms of architecture and appearance. Excluding Florida from the South is like excluding Maine from the Northeast. 60 years this was not the case for Florida. Florida was once an entirely Dixie state. Then Northerners migrated here and caused Southern dominance to be less in magnitude. I would still include all of Florida in the South, regardless of what anybody says or tries to prove. Too much contradictory historical evidence, and again, i've been to the statement more times than I've been to Ohio, which is what I like to call my second home state. Why dont' we just go ahead and include Southern Florida in the northeast while we're at it? Given the fact it has a tropical climate, palm trees, undeniable ties to the Confederacy because it seceded, and that I have heard more than enough Southern accents throughout florida, I guess I'll have to conclude Florida is a half in the North. The only reason Florida has any Northern elements to it at all is because Northerners migrated there. Take them away, and you've got nothing but Southerness everywhere you look.
I live in Florida now and the northern influences are greater than you think. The first town I lived in was Palm Coast. It was planned out by a group from New York City and most of its residents are from NYC/NJ. Where I live now, Sarasota, is a mecca for midwesterners and midwestern retirees. I'm not kidding here, I think I've never heard a southern accent while living in Palm Coast or Sarasota. Cape Coral was the brain child of midwestern transplants. Also alot of Florida cities mayors and council members are transplants too.

Clearly Florida is a southern state, but the whole state was basically built from the resources of northern transplants, which makes it different from the other southern states. I am looking at Florida today, not during the Civil War.

I refer to Sarasota and SW FL as Michigan South!

Old 09-09-2007, 03:21 PM

217 posts, read 879,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
True.

I grew up just on the fringes of Appalachia in upstate NY (yes, a few counties do extend into southern NY), but the official definition set by the ARC does not include New England. I could understand that because New England does not share anything common with the coal mining communities of Appalchia (speech patterns, culture, etc.), but there are some isolated pockets of Applachian-like poverty in parts of the region though.

Most people think of Appalachia as the states of KY, TN, WV, VA, sometimes PA.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
True.

I grew up just on the fringes of Appalachia in upstate NY (yes, a few counties do extend into southern NY), but the official definition set by the ARC does not include New England. I could understand that because New England does not share anything common with the coal mining communities of Appalchia (speech patterns, culture, etc.), but there are some isolated pockets of Applachian-like poverty in parts of the region though.

Most people think of Appalachia as the states of KY, TN, WV, VA, sometimes PA.
The Blue Ridge Parkway, when it was built in the 30s, displaced a lot of people. It also gave them jobs , so , it was a double edged sword. Jobs , were the intended, and the displacement of people north and south affected the demographics. Most of the early settlers , were , of Scottish decent. They were very independent. Their involvement in the Revolutionary war , and the Civil war , was substantial. These people , then , and as well today ( those that are left), are quite different , than the typical Southerner.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
I live in Florida now and the northern influences are greater than you think. The first town I lived in was Palm Coast. It was planned out by a group from New York City and most of its residents are from NYC/NJ. Where I live now, Sarasota, is a mecca for midwesterners and midwestern retirees. I'm not kidding here, I think I've never heard a southern accent while living in Palm Coast or Sarasota. Cape Coral was the brain child of midwestern transplants. Also alot of Florida cities mayors and council members are transplants too.

Clearly Florida is a southern state, but the whole state was basically built from the resources of northern transplants, which makes it different from the other southern states. I am looking at Florida today, not during the Civil War.

I refer to Sarasota and SW FL as Michigan South!
Just outside Sarasota is a place called Florida. Give it a look sometime !
Some of the largest cattle ranches in the country !.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 14,804 times
I really hope no one acctually thinks that Old Virginia is no a southern state do your home work and know your history im from the Shenandoah Valley we still have confederate parades to commemorate the south; Furthermore, more Virginias died for the south than in any other state not to mention is was the capital! So I must protest brothers Virginia has and always will be apart of the south!

Last edited by philmydoyle; 02-01-2008 at 09:58 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 14,804 times
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/philmydoyle/confederate_states_map1.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.