Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro area is truly the NYC of the South?
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX 9 8.49%
Houston, TX 17 16.04%
Miami, FL 32 30.19%
Atlanta, GA 72 67.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2021, 08:39 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times

Advertisements

On Houston being closer to LA we agree.

As an American who grew up in NY, Miami is much closer to and shares some commonalities with NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
110% agree. If anything the cities that DFW and Houston are like is each other.

You can nitpick certain aspects for any city and come up with some criteria that makes it more similar to a bigger city than somewhere else so this is a never ending exercise.

If you had to twist my arm I would say DFW and Atlanta function more like Chicago than New York. They are both inland metros like Chicago that grew because of their centralized population. They, like Chicago are massive railway and Airline Hubs. All three have sizeable financial sectors.

Houston would probably lean closer to LA than NY.
It has more of a western built form more similar to LA than NY. Houston has a more international population than DFW and Atlanta but is more along the lines of LA than NY. LA and Houston has two of the biggest US Mexican populations. Shipping is more important to its economy like LA.

NY just got way too massive in the late 1800s for anywhere else to be comparable. I guess if you mix aspects of Philadelphia, Boston, DC and Chicago you can approximate something like Chicago but the south was all way too small back then to be comparable.

Houston and DFW are comparable.
Atlanta and Charlotte are comparable.
Miami... you would probably have to compare it to cities in South America or the Caribbean.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 08:53 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
I will say tho, when it comes to visitors. Without a doubt Miami is one of the top destinations for Europeans. I spent a summer backpacking in Europe and from interactions almost all had Miami high on their list for places they would like to visit.

I was also surprised by the reason. I would think they would be going for the sunshine, beaches and bikinis, but it seems like many wanted to go shopping there.

Of course, they all mentioned NY. I don't remember any of them thinking of Atlanta, DFW or Houston. Not even in London. I don't think Miami has the more diverse international population but there is no question in my mind that internationally it is on more people's minds.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:05 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

I don't think Miami has the more diverse international population but there is no question in my mind that internationally it is on more people's minds.
This.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:31 AM

12,823 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Most of Houston's European population is from the UK. A big reason for that is the connection to oil and gas. Miami has a good number of Russians, Italians, Portuguese, and Spanish. That said those numbers are still very small. None of those groups make up more than 0.2% of the population. Looking at diversity as a whole, Europeans really only make a difference in the diversity levels of NYC and Chicago. Boston and Detroit to a much lesser degree.
Again, my link above says that Miami has more Europeans than Houston, and it's a much smaller overall population than Houston. So, again, how is Houston's European population more diverse than Miami's?

Old 08-30-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
On Houston being closer to LA we agree.

As an American who grew up in NY, Miami is much closer to and shares some commonalities with NYC
I think I voted for Miami. Of the southern cities, it's the most similar to NYC, but that's not saying much.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:48 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Yeah, as an ex NY’er I’m reminded on nearly a daily basis of some similarities to NYC—particularly when I am walking amongst my compact and dense high rise neighborhood or driving across a body of water to the beach as I’m sitting in traffic with horns honking while a drawbridge is raised to meet my private equity or hedge fund buddies at one of a couple of dozen top NYC restaurant outposts where inevitably our discussion turns to the Yankees or NY football Giants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think I voted for Miami. Of the southern cities, it's the most similar to NYC, but that's not saying much.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:50 AM

961 posts, read 722,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
+1.

I thought the rumors of Dallas trying to be NYC were just rumors. Apparently this actually exists. I’m surprised. It’s ironic how Dallas is dead last and there’s actually a niche of people here that support ridiculousness. Don’t get me wrong. Miami, Houston and Atlanta aren’t NYC either but I haven’t seen this ridiculousness yet.
I lived & worked in Dallas (city of, not suburbs) for 10 years before moving to NYC. There's a lot to like about it, but I honestly can't think of two cities more different. They are, quite literally, polar opposites in nearly every single category that one may compare cities in. Yes, there are vain people in both (when I lived there we called them "Johnny Dallas", the guy making $50K but driving a leased BMW, wearing a tight Affliction t-shirt and taking a swim in the cologne pool before hitting up the lounge at Zaza). But even that is much different than the NYC vanity, which tends to be more global socialite, or a transplant working in fashion or media.

Houston (to me) feels like a less pretentious and more humid Dallas, so that's out. Atlanta is one of the least dense metro areas on earth, so that's out. And Miami is a tropical city where rich South Americans park their money and live in high-rises on the beach. At least Miami & NYC are both cities that happily take in foreign money earned by dubious means. But outside of that can't think of any similarities (Miami is also where many NY'ers who dislike NY go, so that should tell you something).

Old 08-30-2021, 09:58 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Again, my link above says that Miami has more Europeans than Houston, and it's a much smaller overall population than Houston. So, again, how is Houston's European population more diverse than Miami's?
It isnt. But both are so small that they dont contribute much to the overall diversity of either city.

Also, Miami/Fort Lauderdale has more Europeans than Houston. Miami/Fort Lauderdale has 135,000 foreign born Europeans. Houston has 65,000. Houston has more people from the UK than Miami which means, by default, Miami's European community will be more diverse.

But again, they are both so small that their impact on diversity isnt really worth discussing. Miami's largest foreign born European group are Italians at 16,501. That's about .25% of the total population. Houston's largest is UK at 16,508. That's .23% of the total population.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I lived & worked in Dallas (city of, not suburbs) for 10 years before moving to NYC. There's a lot to like about it, but I honestly can't think of two cities more different. They are, quite literally, polar opposites in nearly every single category that one may compare cities in. Yes, there are vain people in both (when I lived there we called them "Johnny Dallas", the guy making $50K but driving a leased BMW, wearing a tight Affliction t-shirt and taking a swim in the cologne pool before hitting up the lounge at Zaza). But even that is much different than the NYC vanity, which tends to be more global socialite, or a transplant working in fashion or media.

Houston (to me) feels like a less pretentious and more humid Dallas, so that's out. Atlanta is one of the least dense metro areas on earth, so that's out. And Miami is a tropical city where rich South Americans park their money and live in high-rises on the beach. At least Miami & NYC are both cities that happily take in foreign money earned by dubious means. But outside of that can't think of any similarities (Miami is also where many NY'ers who dislike NY go, so that should tell you something).
I'm older. It used to be 30k btw. The 30k millionaire originated from Dallas.

Old 08-31-2021, 05:42 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Yeah, as an ex NY’er I’m reminded on nearly a daily basis of some similarities to NYC—particularly when I am walking amongst my compact and dense high rise neighborhood or driving across a body of water to the beach as I’m sitting in traffic with horns honking while a drawbridge is raised to meet my private equity or hedge fund buddies at one of a couple of dozen top NYC restaurant outposts where inevitably our discussion turns to the Yankees or NY football Giants.
It's funny that you should mention that because I can remember the Dolphins/ Jets rivalry and the NFL commentators would always remark how when these two teams would play each other in Miami how many would Boo the Dolphins at a home game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.