Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro area is truly the NYC of the South?
Dallas-Fort Worth, TX 9 8.49%
Houston, TX 17 16.04%
Miami, FL 32 30.19%
Atlanta, GA 72 67.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 01:25 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Nope, other than the Americas Houston is more Diverse.
Anyway, I think we should take this to a demographics thread.

Don't want to spend too much time on just one topic,
But I quoted more than just Asian.
Houston has a more varied African, Middle Eastern, Asian and I think European population. Houston even has more native Americans.

Miami beats Houston in the America's, except for El Salvador and Honduras where I think Houston has the largest population from those countries in the US.

I see you are taking this as an opportunity to slide Austin in, and take down Houston at the same time (your two favorite things to do) so do you think Austin is the New York of the South?
You "think" European? Or you hope European? So, does Houston have a more varied European population?

Slide Austin in? No, I'm saying Austin gets dinged for being "white and not diverse." I don't think Austin is anything like NYC, not even sure if they have 1 true similarity that NYC wouldn't have compared with other ciites. But when was the last time you've seen an Austin person compare their city to NYC or a more high profile city here. But for Houston and Dallas folks, it's "well not sure it qualifies as southern, but if it were, it's the closest to NYC."

To me the closest comparison to NYC is Philly or Chicago. No southern city is like NYC. All sprawl. It's like asking which tennis player is the most similar to Phil Mickelson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2021, 07:09 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,096,281 times
Geographic type that's similar to NYC would be Charleston , SC.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:03 PM

8,331 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You "think" European? Or you hope European? So, does Houston have a more varied European population?

Slide Austin in? No, I'm saying Austin gets dinged for being "white and not diverse." I don't think Austin is anything like NYC, not even sure if they have 1 true similarity that NYC wouldn't have compared with other ciites. But when was the last time you've seen an Austin person compare their city to NYC or a more high profile city here. But for Houston and Dallas folks, it's "well not sure it qualifies as southern, but if it were, it's the closest to NYC."

To me the closest comparison to NYC is Philly or Chicago. No southern city is like NYC. All sprawl. It's like asking which tennis player is the most similar to Phil Mickelson.
Yes, Houston has a more varied population than Miami.

Miami is a more international city, but it is less diverse. Less white wouldn't be what is looked at because that would be Miami. Miami has a larger population from the Americas. The European population in Miami is less significant than the Nigerian population in Houston alone. Between 2010-2019, Miami got 13K new European immigrants which was the 2nd highest in the US. Houston got 33K Nigerian immigrants by itself.

Yes, Houston is more diverse as a whole. Miami is more diverse when the Americas are isolated by themselves.

BTW, very few people think Houston or DFW is like NYC in any way. This whole "what is the NYC of the South" question is an exercise in stupidity. There is NYC of the South. There is no NYC of the West. There is only one NYC.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:33 PM

9,867 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Miami is a more international city, but it is less diverse. Less white wouldn't be what is looked at because that would be Miami. Miami has a larger population from the Americas. The European population in Miami is less significant than the Nigerian population in Houston alone. Between 2010-2019, Miami got 13K new European immigrants which was the 2nd highest in the US. Houston got 33K Nigerian immigrants by itself.

Yes, Houston is more diverse as a whole. Miami is more diverse when the Americas are isolated by themselves.

BTW, very few people think Houston or DFW is like NYC in any way. This whole "what is the NYC of the South" question is an exercise in stupidity. There is NYC of the South. There is no NYC of the West. There is only one NYC.
I have to say I agree. I know you don’t like to make those kinds of comparisons. Sometimes I think it’s valid. I think Nashville qualifies as the Sountheast’s Austin for example. But in this case, there is absolutely no NYC of the south whatsoever. You would have to take all of the best aspects of all 4 of these metros and you still won’t get anything close to NYC.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:37 PM

Holy cringe! Miami or Houston being more ethnically diverse is actually being discussed? This is no discussion. And these are my two favorite cities in USA. Houston’s diversity is a particular thing I favor over Miami. It’s a shame this is even being discussed.

Old 08-29-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
But nobody considers them the NYC of the south. There really isn't one. Just because you consider yourself the NYC of the south doesn't make it so. And actually, Dallas is in the south.
+1.

I thought the rumors of Dallas trying to be NYC were just rumors. Apparently this actually exists. I’m surprised. It’s ironic how Dallas is dead last and there’s actually a niche of people here that support ridiculousness. Don’t get me wrong. Miami, Houston and Atlanta aren’t NYC either but I haven’t seen this ridiculousness yet.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:09 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:

Yep, I agree with that, but how is their European population more diverse?

Old 08-30-2021, 07:42 AM

8,331 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Yep, I agree with that, but how is their European population more diverse?
Most of Houston's European population is from the UK. A big reason for that is the connection to oil and gas. Miami has a good number of Russians, Italians, Portuguese, and Spanish. That said those numbers are still very small. None of those groups make up more than 0.2% of the population. Looking at diversity as a whole, Europeans really only make a difference in the diversity levels of NYC and Chicago. Boston and Detroit to a much lesser degree.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:17 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Also has a share of French (metro, overall, also popular with Canadians) and Turks. I even run into people from Norway (shipping industry, ties into the cruise and port) and Eastern Europe on a frequent basis just in my little slice of Miami—not to mention it is a popular vacation destination for Europeans. Not NYC Euro presence, but a definite presence—including Euro based business such as Sabadell and Santander international, Cirpriani (restaurant and hotel—only other US presence is LA and NY) and South of France’s Baoli. Ashame Positano’s Le Sirenuse could not financially weather the Covid slowdown. Outside of Europe also have a decent number of Israelis (behind NYC and LA).

That aside and overall, Houston is more diverse (just as Miami is not just the Americas or just as it attracts Europeans not just from Spain).

Quote:
Most of Houston's European population is from the UK. A big reason for that is the connection to oil and gas. Miami has a good number of Russians, Italians, Portuguese, and Spanish. That said those numbers are still very small. None of those groups make up more than 0.2% of the population. Looking at diversity as a whole, Europeans really only make a difference in the diversity levels of NYC and Chicago. Boston and Detroit to a much lesser degree.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-30-2021 at 08:39 AM..

Old 08-30-2021, 08:37 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
110% agree. If anything the cities that DFW and Houston are like is each other.

You can nitpick certain aspects for any city and come up with some criteria that makes it more similar to a bigger city than somewhere else so this is a never ending exercise.

If you had to twist my arm I would say DFW and Atlanta function more like Chicago than New York. They are both inland metros like Chicago that grew because of their centralized population. They, like Chicago are massive railway and Airline Hubs. All three have sizeable financial sectors.

Houston would probably lean closer to LA than NY.
It has more of a western built form more similar to LA than NY. Houston has a more international population than DFW and Atlanta but is more along the lines of LA than NY. LA and Houston has two of the biggest US Mexican populations. Shipping is more important to its economy like LA.

NY just got way too massive in the late 1800s for anywhere else to be comparable. I guess if you mix aspects of Philadelphia, Boston, DC and Chicago you can approximate something like Chicago but the south was all way too small back then to be comparable.

Houston and DFW are comparable.
Atlanta and Charlotte are comparable.
Miami... you would probably have to compare it to cities in South America or the Caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.