Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
What's that?
Ughhh!!! with all the beautiful architecture in Boston he had to point out that ugly Soviet cold war style monstrosity and one of the ugliest city halls in the country. Dallas has one of those too. I hate that building, and so does the mayor of Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:52 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Oh and if this thread is about North America in general (I assume US and Canada and not including Mexico, Central America, or the Caribbean) I'd say most Canadian cities do not have landmarks. The only cities in Canada I think have noticable landamrks are TOronto and Quebec City. Vancouver looks like Seattle without the Space Needle.

Also Portland, Oregon is devoid of landmarks too. If we are to include the rest of what is technically North America, Cancun and Acapulco have very recognizable skylines and cityscapes, Cancun also has the Tulum ruins in its vicinity. There is the Atlantis Resort in Nassau and the Panana Canal in Panana City plus Aztec ruins outside Mexico City. I guess the Mexico welcome sign in Tijuana counts as a landmark.
Tulum isn't in Cancun, it's over an hour south outside the town of Tulum. That's like Portland claiming Multnomah Falls or Mount Hood as a landmark. Mexico City has a ton of famous landmarks in the city, but I'm not sure how much the average American would recognize them--though the giant cathedral oand buildings surrounding the Zocalo in the Centro are pretty well known.

Vancouver has one of the most recognizable skylines in North America with the backdrop of mountains and glass condo towers in the foreground--I'd say though that most Canadians would recognize the ScienceWorld building or the Vancouver Tower as well.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Ughhh!!! with all the beautiful architecture in Boston he had to point out that ugly Soviet cold war style monstrosity and one of the ugliest city halls in the country. Dallas has one of those too. I hate that building, and so does the mayor of Boston.
I always imagined that building as a Orwellian Ministry of Truth or something. Boston has a bunch of brutalist/modernist government buildings along that section of town--they removed a bunch of old 19th Century architecture to build it as well.

Aren't Faneuil Hall or the Old State House considered recognizable for Boston?

Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 AM

932 posts, read 1,944,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Aren't Faneuil Hall or the Old State House considered recognizable for Boston?
I find Faneuil Hall instantly recognizable. I can't pronounce the name, but I know the building and what city it's in.

I'm curious, does the rest of the country find Independence Hall or Philadelphia City Hall recognizable?

Old 12-30-2012, 11:58 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
I find Faneuil Hall instantly recognizable. I can't pronounce the name, but I know the building and what city it's in.

I'm curious, does the rest of the country find Independence Hall or Philadelphia City Hall recognizable?
I find them identifiable. Independence Hall would probably be on my list of secondary landmarks.

I think the most identifiable Philly landmark is the Liberty Bell.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,669 times
I'm not sure that Brutalist (technical term, really) City Hall epitomizes Boston, but nobody said a city's prime landmark had to be pretty. I think Boston's iconic landmark might be an open space--Boston Common.

Here's a photo of the San Jose skyline which captures its scattered quality Downtown San Jose, California | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-30-2012, 12:29 PM

432 posts, read 609,709 times
The liberty bell isn't a landmark. You can move it. You can't move a landmark however it is a national treasure.
Independence Hall is a landmark however.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:

I've always recognized Independence Hall and would hope that most people that have opened up a US history textbook would be able to do so. It's probably the most recognizable colonial-era building in the US and it's easy to show just Independence Hall as an intro to Philadelphia in film or TV.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:48 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I've always recognized Independence Hall and would hope that most people that have opened up a US history textbook would be able to do so. It's probably the most recognizable colonial-era building in the US and it's easy to show just Independence Hall as an intro to Philadelphia in film or TV.
That's a big part of the problem, as I see it. There seems to be less of an emphasis on US history than ever before.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:05 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
So is Houston the biggest city without a landmark or do we consider the space center one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.