Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Oh and if this thread is about North America in general (I assume US and Canada and not including Mexico, Central America, or the Caribbean) I'd say most Canadian cities do not have landmarks. The only cities in Canada I think have noticable landamrks are TOronto and Quebec City. Vancouver looks like Seattle without the Space Needle.

Montreal have some noticeable landmarks

The Biosphère
Olympic stadium
Habitat 67
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Ahem... The ASTRODOME?
I just mentioned it a few pages back. Did everyone just completely forget about this place?
It looks like it could be anywhere. It's just a concrete dome, even Tacoma, WA has one of those. It doesn't scream Houston! It really isn't that remarkable.

Montreal has a dome stadium, and though I don't care for any of them it has more of a trademark look to it where it can be identified as "That's Montreal"!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canuckistan/4571995869/

Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Houston has a few buildings downtown that scream Houston. BOA is one. Pennzoil used to be one. Continental another, and enron. That group of buildings viewed from the west is a landmark by itself. Easily identifiable as Houston.

Houston also has the San Jacinto monument, Williams tower, astrodome, NASA...

Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston has a few buildings downtown that scream Houston. BOA is one. Pennzoil used to be one. Continental another, and enron. That group of buildings viewed from the west is a landmark by itself. Easily identifiable as Houston.

Houston also has the San Jacinto monument, Williams tower, astrodome, NASA...
Yes Houston has some very distinctive buildings in its skyline, especially that bronze colored terraced and angled dimensional one (BofA tower?). The astrodome has no distinctive identity to it that says only in Houston.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
I'll give Houston the Astrodome and the Space Center, but skyscrapers, as awesome as they are, are really only recognizable by those who are interested in them. I would recognize them, but most people wouldn't. The Empire State building and others are exceptions, but still, a lot of people don't know and unfortunately don't care.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
It looks like it could be anywhere. It's just a concrete dome, even Tacoma, WA has one of those. It doesn't scream Houston! It really isn't that remarkable.

Montreal has a dome stadium, and though I don't care for any of them it has more of a trademark look to it where it can be identified as "That's Montreal"!
Montreal Olympic Stadium | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
They really don't look the same.... And neither does the Tacoma Dome.

I think you're not taking in what this stadium has been. It's hosted All-Star Games, "The Battle of the Sexes" tennis match, Selena's last concert, a Wrestlemania, it was a major shelter for refugees during Katrina, and it was THE FIRST DOMED BASEBALL PARK. Even though it may not seem like it here, I'm sure a lot of people can look at that and say, that's the HOUSTON Astrodome.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave209 View Post
Baltimore has no notable big landmarks.

Fort McHenry?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post

Montreal Olympic Stadium | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'm sure that Tacoma and even other cities have stadiums similar to Houston's, but I would bet you a decent sum of money that if you showed a picture of the Tacoma dome to a group of people most of them would say Houston. Same with our own Metrodome. There's plenty of inflated stadiums throughout the continent, but the Metrodome is the famous one, even though there are others.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Fort McHenry?
I've lived within 2 hours of Baltimore my entire life and never heard of it. When I think of Baltimore, I think Inner Harbor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
I'm sure that Tacoma and even other cities have stadiums similar to Houston's, but I would bet you a decent sum of money that if you showed a picture of the Tacoma dome to a group of people most of them would say Houston. Same with our own Metrodome. There's plenty of inflated stadiums throughout the continent, but the Metrodome is the famous one, even though there are others.
The Metrodome is probably the most infamous. The Astrodome is the most famous inflatable.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times
Phoenix is the biggest American city with absolutely no recognizable landmark. Or skyline, for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.