Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
They really don't look the same.... And neither does the Tacoma Dome.

I think you're not taking in what this stadium has been. It's hosted All-Star Games, "The Battle of the Sexes" tennis match, Selena's last concert, a Wrestlemania, it was a major shelter for refugees during Katrina, and it was THE FIRST DOMED BASEBALL PARK. Even though it may not seem like it here, I'm sure a lot of people can look at that and say, that's the HOUSTON Astrodome.
History, you got it! It has name recogniition for sure. I even remember knowing about it when I was a kid in Boston back in the 1980's. Aesthetics, it's just a large dome stadium. The only one I've seen that has a trademark look is the one in Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
I've lived within 2 hours of Baltimore my entire life and never heard of it. When I think of Baltimore, I think Inner Harbor.

The Metrodome is probably the most infamous. The Astrodome is the most famous inflatable.
.... it's a fixed roof.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:05 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
I've lived within 2 hours of Baltimore my entire life and never heard of it. When I think of Baltimore, I think Inner Harbor.

Ever hear of the "Star Spangled Banner"?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
Quote:

The Metrodome is probably the most infamous. The Astrodome is the most famous inflatable.
As already pointed out... The astrodome isn't inflatable. The Metrodome is the only major league stadium In the U.S. with an inflated roof. It's also the largest inflated stadium in the U.S.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Are we seriously suggesting a dome that looks like it could be anywhere is on the same level as The Gateway Arch or Statue of Liberty?

OMG!!!! LOAD UP THE CAR MAW!!! WE ARE GOING TO THE ASTRODOME!!!!!! It hosted an all star game!!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Are we seriously suggesting a dome that looks like it could be anywhere is on the same level as The Gateway Arch or Statue of Liberty?

OMG!!!! LOAD UP THE CAR MAW!!! WE ARE GOING TO THE ASTRODOME!!!!!! It hosted an all star game!!
Did anyone ever say that?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
As already pointed out... The astrodome isn't inflatable. The Metrodome is the only major league stadium In the U.S. with an inflated roof. It's also the largest inflated stadium in the U.S.
And like the other inflated domed stadiums with it, it will soon be gone.... and replaced.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Ever hear of the "Star Spangled Banner"?
I have but failed to make the mental connection at the time of my post. Regardless, I wouldn't know Fort McHenry from Fort Blunder if I saw a picture of it.
Quote:
Sorry about that, I misread earlier in the thread.
Quote:

Hey, The Spectrum was pretty magnificent!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 PM
JJG

Quote:

The question of this thread was to point out an identifiable landmark.

The Astrodome in Houston is a very identifiable landmark for Houston, for Texas, and for the Sports and Entertainment world.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Did anyone ever say that?
The premise of this thread is instantly recognizable landmarks.

Quote:
Houston = the Astrodome (first indoor baseball park ever).

Can't say much about Phoenix...
Quote:
Ahem... The ASTRODOME?

I just mentioned it a few pages back. Did everyone just completely forget about this place?
Quote:
They really don't look the same.... And neither does the Tacoma Dome.

I think you're not taking in what this stadium has been. It's hosted All-Star Games, "The Battle of the Sexes" tennis match, Selena's last concert, a Wrestlemania, it was a major shelter for refugees during Katrina, and it was THE FIRST DOMED BASEBALL PARK. Even though it may not seem like it here, I'm sure a lot of people can look at that and say, that's the HOUSTON Astrodome.
Really? The Astrodome? Top 5 US Landmarks:

Golden Gate Bridge
Empire State Building
Gateway Arch
Astrodome
Astrodome!!!!

(it is there twice on purpose, it hosted an All-Star game for crying out loud!!!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.