Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Soul-less Cities???
Dallas 38 31.40%
Orlando 59 48.76%
Atlanta 17 14.05%
Houston 39 32.23%
Denver 19 15.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 09:38 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Nothing besides the 96 Olympics in Atlanta is a unique attribute for any of those cities...just sayin'
A place doesn't have to have a whole bunch of unique attributes to have soul though. That's the major point of contention I have with the narrowness of the definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Nothing besides the 96 Olympics in Atlanta is a unique attribute for any of those cities...just sayin'

I've never been to Denver, but I read mixed reviews about it. In pictures, Denver is gorgeous, but it seems like a city that residents either love or absolutely hate.
You're kidding, right? All those things I listed may not be your idea of unique, but those are some of the things that define those cities. It's their "soul." Being unique and having soul are 2 very different things. Just because the culture of these places isn't in your face (like NYC, SF, or NOLA) doesn't mean it's not there. Sadly, I don't think people will ever learn this.

There are mixed reviews on EVERY city, just like Denver. Have you actually spent any time in either of these places though?

Last edited by Mezter; 09-07-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 10:36 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
You're kidding, right? All those thing I listed may not be your idea of unique, but those are some of the things that define those cities. It's their "soul."

There are mixed reviews on EVERY city. Have you actually spent any time in either of these places though?
Nope, not kidding. We're not talking about some broad example of a city's description. For example, we all know that Dallas has "cowboy culture", and according to you, so does Denver. I can name several other cities that have the exact same sort of "cowboy culture" as Dallas and Denver. This only helps reiterate the point that there is nothing special or that is quintessentially Dallas. No uniqueness, no identity, no character..as many here have agreed. You can't say these things define those cities as soulful if these same mundane attributes are also apart of sooo many other towns and cities...

And yes, I've spent time in every one of these cities except Denver, like I said before. For the record, I look forward to visiting soon!

Old 09-07-2013, 11:53 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Nope, not kidding. We're not talking about some broad example of a city's description. For example, we all know that Dallas has "cowboy culture", and according to you, so does Denver. I can name several other cities that have the exact same sort of "cowboy culture" as Dallas and Denver. This only helps reiterate the point that there is nothing special or that is quintessentially Dallas. No uniqueness, no identity, no character..as many here have agreed. You can't say these things define those cities as soulful if these same mundane attributes are also apart of sooo many other towns and cities...

And yes, I've spent time in every one of these cities except Denver, like I said before. For the record, I look forward to visiting soon!
But that`s like saying (for example) that the pizza in Chicago isn't part of what's considered to be the cities soul because many other places have pizza. Lame example, I know, but you get the gist.

All I'm saying is that there's more to cities and their soul than just being unique.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:03 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
And speaking of Tennessee Williams, the other great writerly quote about soulless cities was Gertrude Stein's memorable put-down of Oakland, California : "There is no there, there." Doubt she could say that about Oakland now!
Gertrude Stein's quote "There is no there, there" was taken out of context. She was referring to her return to Oakland - 45 years later - to find that her childhood home was no longer there - torn down - lost within a developed and burgeoning Oakland.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:42 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
But that`s like saying (for example) that the pizza in Chicago isn't part of what's considered to be the cities soul because many other places have pizza. Lame example, I know, but you get the gist.

All I'm saying is that there's more to cities and their soul than just being unique.
Precisely. Even if a city has attributes that are found in other cities, you have to consider how all of a cities' attributes interact with each other and how that dynamic contributes to the whole of a city's character and identity.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:

To say Dallas has no soul is an embarrassingly wrong statement. Dallas has soul, you can hear it in the accents of south Dallasites and in their rap. I thought Houston would have no kind of soul but I was wrong, there is a sense of place when you see Cadillacs with elbows jammin DJ Screw, happen to turn the radio to 97.9 on Screw day (RIP) to hear nothing but DJ Screw all day, etc. If Houston has this, I know Dallas does too.
Now compared to New Orleans, no many cities have soul or culture but New Orleans is truly one of a kind.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:58 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
If a radio station hundreds of miles away plays a dead, obscure, regional DJ's music, Dallas must have soul.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 AM

39 posts, read 53,766 times
Orlando has my vote. It is a city which has nothing unique. It's a manufactured environment which exists to plug the most banal forms of commercial tourism such as corporate theme parks or bland cookie cutter HUD-like suburbs. The city has a distinct lack of taste and culture. Young people dress in gaudy faux hip hop styles and talk in strange white suburban ebonics knock off language. The schools are horrible. The sports teams all suck too. The older folk are completely uncultured unwashed Floridian types who can't comprehend anything beyond the Floridian bubble. If they are transplants they are soon absorbed into the soulless culture-less quagmire that is Orlando.

God help you if you run into the wealthy "elite" in Orlando. Their lack of taste is only surpassed by the gaudiness of their gilded plywood walled McEstates.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:24 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
To say Dallas has no soul is an embarrassingly wrong statement. Dallas has soul, you can hear it in the accents of south Dallasites and in their rap. I thought Houston would have no kind of soul but I was wrong, there is a sense of place when you see Cadillacs with elbows jammin DJ Screw, happen to turn the radio to 97.9 on Screw day (RIP) to hear nothing but DJ Screw all day, etc. If Houston has this, I know Dallas does too.
Now compared to New Orleans, no many cities have soul or culture but New Orleans is truly one of a kind.
Have you been to Dallas lately??? I can assure you that all the culture there is to love about Houston, Dallas shares none of. I can't say that I know of any Dallas rappers, but a country accent surely doesn't equate to soul. I mean hell, Shreveport has the same annoying accent...

Its game time homeboy...

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 09-08-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.