Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Soul-less Cities???
Dallas 38 31.40%
Orlando 59 48.76%
Atlanta 17 14.05%
Houston 39 32.23%
Denver 19 15.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:19 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
...this has become my frustration with many posters here. No matter what you say or how you say it, some bored soul will find something in your statement(no matter how trivial) to argue with you about.
This is an open forum. I have every right to dispute a statement you make. If you have a problem with people disagreeing with you, then I suggest you don't post here.

As you can tell by my reputation above, I've made plenty of posts that people have had no problem with. Maybe that's because I didn't say anything ridiculous.

Quote:
What does my status have to do with this?? Nairobi, its my "honest" observation that you don't know what you're talking about. I honestly used to live in Houston and I honestly lived in Katy as well. Therefore i have honestly seen Houston living within the loop and outside of it and can honestly tell you that if you contend that people within the city dont see it as awfully churchy and fanatically christian, you should just stop

...really. Cut it out kid
Sure, you used to live in the loop (), so be specific. Where in this area are these heavily concentrated fanatical Christians that you speak of? Because most Houstonians aren't aware of their existence. Do they live in Montrose, next to the transgenders and white Rastafarians? Are these the same people that consistently vote Democrat? Are they the same people who twice elected a lesbian as their mayor?

It's clear as day to anyone that truly knows Houston that YOU are the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. Like I said, honesty isn't synonymous with accuracy.

I'd say that your time spent in Katy likely comprised the majority of your experience with "Houston".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 08:51 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
This is an open forum. I have every right to dispute a statement you make. If you have a problem with people disagreeing with you, then I suggest you don't post here.

As you can tell by my reputation above, I've made plenty of posts that people have had no problem with. Maybe that's because I didn't say anything ridiculous.

Sure, you used to live in the loop (), so be specific. Where in this area are these heavily concentrated fanatical Christians that you speak of? Because most Houstonians aren't aware of their existence. Do they live in Montrose, next to the transgenders and white Rastafarians? Are these the same people that consistently vote Democrat? Are they the same people who twice elected a lesbian as their mayor?

It's clear as day to anyone that truly knows Houston that YOU are the one who doesn't know what he's talking about. Like I said, honesty isn't synonymous with accuracy.

I'd say that your time spent in Katy likely comprised the majority of your experience with "Houston".
One more thing, then I'll be done with this obviously pointless back and forth with you...

Why do I care about your "reputation above" in reference to how annoying you've been in THIS thread?

Did you just tout your standings in an online forum as if that means anything in reality or as if we're supposed to grovel at your asanine assertions?

Why would I be more specific regarding where I used to live in Texas as if i know you or owe you anything? If you don't believe me, fine, be man enough to leave it at that and stop grasping for straws. "oh yea? well prove it"...No Thanks...

How do liberal voters and "white Rastafarians" prove the non-existence of religious fanatics in the same city??? You really got lost with that one...

Just because you're a repetitive nuisance doesn't make you accurate either, just a child...

Oh and about your Katy comment: Nope. Wrong again. It would be my time spent in Houston, The Woodlands, Katy, Conroe, Galveston, and Baytown. Feel better?

DONE WITH THAT, on with the discussion at hand

Old 09-05-2013, 09:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Another thread created just as an excuse to bash cities. The OP probably passed through Dallas and Orlando, ate at an Applebee's off the freeway and called that experiencing the city.

My God, if you couldn't find one thing unique about each of the cities you're trying to bash, you're a moron or you didn't try. End of story.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Another thread created just as an excuse to bash cities. The OP probably passed through Dallas and Orlando, ate at an Applebee's off the freeway and called that experiencing the city.

My God, if you couldn't find one thing unique about each of the cities you're trying to bash, you're a moron or you didn't try. End of story.
Why do you keep coming back to a thread that you apparantly don't care for
And how could you follow up with such a DUMB assumption about my experience in those cities? Get out of your feelings texas boy...

Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
And how could you follow up with such a DUMB assumption about my experience in those cities? Get out of your feelings texas boy...
You're either a moron or a liar if you couldn't find anything unique about each of those cities.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
One more thing, then I'll be done with this obviously pointless back and forth with you...

Why do I care about your "reputation above" in reference to how annoying you've been in THIS thread?
You're quick to make me the bad guy, but consider how annoyed I get with people constantly saying false things about the city I live in. Why shouldn't I have the right to defend it against comments like yours?

Quote:
Did you just tout your standings in an online forum as if that means anything in reality or as if we're supposed to grovel at your asanine assertions?
Well, technically, this is reality. We are actual human beings communicating our actual thoughts. If you're asking me whether or not I think any of this matters in day-to-day life, then my answer would be no. However, my statements are relevant to these forums.

Quote:
Why would I be more specific regarding where I used to live in Texas as if i know you or owe you anything? If you don't believe me, fine, be man enough to leave it at that and stop grasping for straws. "oh yea? well prove it"...No Thanks...
I wasn't looking for you to prove anything. I was only hoping you could provide some anecdotal evidence of what you were claiming. Don't do me any favors, though. It would only help your own argument by expanding on your experience with Houston, but if you have no desire to be taken seriously, then I can't force you.

Quote:
How do liberal voters and "white Rastafarians" prove the non-existence of religious fanatics in the same city??? You really got lost with that one...
For example: Annise Parker won by popular vote, meaning that the popular opinion of the city (that could be measured) could care less about someone's sexuality. Since when is that characteristic of a culture heavily concentrated with conservative/Christian fanatics? Exactly. It's not.

Of course religious fanatics exist here, just as they do in every city, including New Orleans. Your suggestion that they exist here at a greater rate is unsupported. Clearly, you're fine with that. Most intelligent people aren't.

Quote:
Just because you're a repetitive nuisance doesn't make you accurate either, just a child...

Oh and about your Katy comment: Nope. Wrong again. It would be my time spent in Houston, The Woodlands, Katy, Conroe, Galveston, and Baytown. Feel better?

DONE WITH THAT, on with the discussion at hand
Most people here who make baseless statements tend to get frustrated when someone calls them out on it, so your defensive attitude was expected. I'll proudly continue to be a "nuisance" and a "child" to the uninformed and witless members of this website.

Furthermore, the fact you were able to name suburbs before you referenced any actual neighborhoods within the city only reconfirms my suspicions. I proved my point, and you embarrassed yourself. I'm done with the conversation if you are.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You're either a moron or a liar if you couldn't find anything unique about each of those cities.
As opposed to being all pissy, why dont you stretch your intellectual bounds and elucidate what makes Dallas so unique??

Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
The fact that you chose only those particularly cities to include in your poll proves you have a bias agaisnt them. Otherwise you'd have made this an open-ended question.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The fact that you chose only those particularly cities to include in your poll proves you have a bias agaisnt them. Otherwise you'd have made this an open-ended question.
That goes without saying.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You're quick to make me the bad guy, but consider how annoyed I get with people constantly saying false things about the city I live in. Why shouldn't I have the right to defend it against comments like yours?

Well, technically, this is reality. We are actual human beings communicating our actual thoughts. If you're asking me whether or not I think any of this matters in day-to-day life, then my answer would be no. However, my statements are relevant to these forums.

I wasn't looking for you to prove anything. I was only hoping you could provide some anecdotal evidence of what you were claiming. Don't do me any favors, though. It would only help your own argument by expanding on your experience with Houston, but if you have no desire to be taken seriously, then I can't force you.

For example: Annise Parker won by popular vote, meaning that the popular opinion of the city (that could be measured) could care less about someone's sexuality. Since when is that characteristic of a culture heavily concentrated with conservative/Christian fanatics? Exactly. It's not.

Of course religious fanatics exist here, just as they do in every city, including New Orleans. Your suggestion that they exist at a greater here is unsupported. Clearly, you're fine with that. Most intelligent people aren't.
Hmm...but you were being defensive about a POSITIVE statement I made about me enjoying and liking Houston. You(annoyingly so) took issue with me saying I didnt like how christian it is...which it is. There is also a large gay christian population in Houston, just like Atlanta. Therefore your anectdote about Annise Parker STILL doesn't discount the large christian community that exists there.

Secondly, I in fact NEVER stated that Houston is more religious than New Orleans. Don't even know where that came from.

I was warned via DM about you Texas posters, I just had no idea how overly defensive you all are. Geez...AGAIN, I like Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.