Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Soul-less Cities???
Dallas 38 31.40%
Orlando 59 48.76%
Atlanta 17 14.05%
Houston 39 32.23%
Denver 19 15.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I visited Dallas once and found it incredibly bland, hot and slow-paced. No soul at all. Nobody out on the street. No edge. No nothing but shiny skyscrapers, split-levels, and endless freeways. But this was several years ago. Maybe its changed.

And speaking of Tennessee Williams, the other great writerly quote about soulless cities was Gertrude Stein's memorable put-down of Oakland, California : "There is no there, there." Doubt she could say that about Oakland now!
Dallas has changed a lot just within the last decade. Its not the same city it was back then.

Is it the most interesting & soulful city in Texas? Far from it.

Its little brother 30 miles to the West (Fort Worth) has more soul than Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 03:25 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
The overall forum is one of the worst because people are expressing their personal disdain for your hometown? Don't get so emotional there buddy. I personally like Houston and what it has to offer while most people hate it for many reasons...and I can understand that too
Uh, no. It's one of the worst because of the hit-and-run comments (one or two negative words with no reasons given to back it up), almost always from people out of state and who for all we know, have never set foot in Houston or just drove through on the freeways once. This happens a lot. By contrast, notice the people discussing Atlanta and Dallas in this thread are actually writing more than a just few words and expressing why, specifically, they felt that way.

But yes. There is an obvious anti-Texas bias on this particular forum, particularly in Houston's case, and has been for years... I've been on here long enough to see it. And by the way, it's not actually my hometown.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:25 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,286 times
For anyone that says Atlanta has no soul has apparently only been to the airport, and not to the great historic neighborhoods.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
There are no soulless cities only soulless people ...

Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
None

Old 09-05-2013, 03:42 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Uh, no. It's one of the worst because of the hit-and-run comments (one or two negative words with no reasons given to back it up), almost always from people out of state and who for all we know, have never set foot in Houston or just drove through on the freeways once. This happens a lot. By contrast, notice the people discussing Atlanta and Dallas in this thread are actually writing more than a just few words and expressing why, specifically, they felt that way.

But yes. There is an obvious anti-Texas bias on this particular forum, particularly in Houston's case, and has been for years... I've been on here long enough to see it. And by the way, it's not actually my hometown.
I can feel that. I grew up in Texas and while I'm no fan of Dallas, I like Houston for its ethnic diversity, sports, great food, and its underrated contributions to music. Some of the things I dont like are the sprawl, heat, its not the prettiest city, and the heavy concentration of close-minded christianity...its better than Dallas but still

Old 09-05-2013, 04:01 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
For anyone that says Atlanta has no soul has apparently only been to the airport, and not to the great historic neighborhoods.

I guess living in the city for 20 years doesn't qualify me to speak on it.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:43 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Tennessee Williams said that in the early 20th century. It is worth noting that when he said that cities like Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, Minneapolis, Kansas City, etc. were as newly minted in their existence as cities as places like Orlando and Phoenix are now. In most cases it takes time and the accumulation of culture and history for cities to develop souls. A city should have existed as a city in multiple eras. It should have experienced both booms and busts, and maybe even have the odd ruin or two. It should have layers. The places Tennessee Williams was talking about back then are no longer generic places, and eventually the places we are talking about in this thread won't be either. Atlanta and Houston are already not generic, Atlanta hasn't been for a long time.
Same for Houston.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Tennessee Williams said that in the early 20th century. It is worth noting that when he said that cities like Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, Minneapolis, Kansas City, etc. were as newly minted in their existence as cities as places like Orlando and Phoenix are now. In most cases it takes time and the accumulation of culture and history for cities to develop souls. A city should have existed as a city in multiple eras. It should have experienced both booms and busts, and maybe even have the odd ruin or two. It should have layers. The places Tennessee Williams was talking about back then are no longer generic places, and eventually the places we are talking about in this thread won't be either. Atlanta and Houston are already not generic, Atlanta hasn't been for a long time.
Thank you. I am a fan of Tennessee Williams and have seen all of his plays. I did not know that he made that statement but the fact that he said that in the early part of the 20th century I don't think is a very valid quote for today. I could see it applying at the time but certainly not now.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I can feel that. I grew up in Texas and while I'm no fan of Dallas, I like Houston for its ethnic diversity, sports, great food, and its underrated contributions to music. Some of the things I dont like are the sprawl, heat, its not the prettiest city, and the heavy concentration of close-minded christianity...its better than Dallas but still
Please. You live in New Orleans. Most of Houston's problems are yours as well.

And the only people ever claim that Houston is a city filled with closed-minded Christians are those who live in the suburbs. No one living in the loop says that.

In reference to your status, keep in mind that "honest" is not synonymous with "accurate".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.