Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Soul-less Cities???
Dallas 38 31.40%
Orlando 59 48.76%
Atlanta 17 14.05%
Houston 39 32.23%
Denver 19 15.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 05:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
The fact that you don't see the quotation marks (clearly indicative of me referencing someone else's statement) tells me you don't read much...
The fact that you used quotation marks without referencing the person who made the statement is indicative of the fact that you were remiss in the illustration of your point. Using a quote made in the early 20th century when asking for comparisons of the present standings of today's cities does not make a very valid example of those cities.

I was not directing my "bogus" comment to the quote itself, but rather to your use of it. Sorry I did not make that clear. This tells me you do not write much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 06:04 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Please. You live in New Orleans. Most of Houston's problems are yours as well.

And the only people ever claim that Houston is a city filled with closed-minded Christians are those who live in the suburbs. No one living in the loop says that.

In reference to your status, keep in mind that "honest" is not synonymous with "accurate".
...this has become my frustration with many posters here. No matter what you say or how you say it, some bored soul will find something in your statement(no matter how trivial) to argue with you about.

What does my status have to do with this?? Nairobi, its my "honest" observation that you don't know what you're talking about. I honestly used to live in Houston and I honestly lived in Katy as well. Therefore i have honestly seen Houston living within the loop and outside of it and can honestly tell you that if you contend that people within the city dont see it as awfully churchy and fanatically christian, you should just stop

...really. Cut it out kid

Old 09-05-2013, 06:15 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
We already had this discussion about a month or two ago (including the extremely defensive posts from the superiority complex Texas posters).

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...less-soul.html

Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 PM

186 posts, read 362,435 times
People are the same everywhere, man. There may be a few locals who know you and might give a small hoot about your welfare, but basically, you're on your own, everywhere you go, with the possible exception of close family. I've known a lot of people who had relatives stab them in the back even faster/harder than a stranger would have done. Family 'thinks' that you will let them get away with it.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 PM

75 posts, read 117,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The fact that you used quotation marks without referencing the person who made the statement is indicative of the fact that you were remiss in the illustration of your point. Using a quote made in the early 20th century when asking for comparisons of the present standings of today's cities does not make a very valid example of those cities.

I was not directing my "bogus" comment to the quote itself, but rather to your use of it. Sorry I did not make that clear. This tells me you do not write much.
what does this have to with the subject of this forum? Lots of pointless bantering going on...

Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,047 times
Still trying to figure out how can a CITY possess soul. . .

Asking about history and culture is totally different but a city can't have soul. The people that inhabit it can and they can make that city lively and energetic but the city itself CAN NOT have soul.

And to the person that said New York is generic and soulless . . .LOL.

Naming the things New York contributed to/for America (to become one of the top cities in the world) and to say that's the reason it's "soulless" and/or generic is silly. That's called history my friend. New York City has a rich history (and culture,) to say otherwise or call it soulless because it's a prominent city is pretty sad.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:47 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Still trying to figure out how can a CITY possess soul. . .

Asking about history and culture is totally different but a city can't have soul. The people that inhabit it can and they can make that city lively and energetic but the city itself CAN NOT have soul.

And to the person that said New York is generic and soulless . . .LOL.

Naming the things New York contributed to/for America (to become one of the top cities in the world) and to say that's the reason it's "soulless" and/or generic is silly. That's called history my friend. New York City has a rich history (and culture,) to say otherwise or call it soulless because it's a prominent city is pretty sad.
So when you go to your favorite restaurant, do you say that the restaurant has good food and atmosphere(which make up your overall experience there) or do the workers have good food and atmosphere?

My point is no matter who and/or what contributes to the identity and soul of a city, it is still committed to and is apart of that city. The same way you responded to the other poster about the history and culture of NYC, these things are apart of the soul that makes it what it is

Old 09-05-2013, 07:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
There are worse cities ... Jax, Phoenix, Tampa, Raleigh ... Cities like houston and orlando are surprisingly diverse if people actually explored them.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:19 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,228 times
Some unsurprisingly ignorant generalizations being made in this thread.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Its been said that "America has only 3 cities; New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans...everywhere else is Cleveland." There are certain cities, like the 3 mentioned, that are known for their personality, charm, flair, and uniqueness. This, to me, equals SOUL.

With that, what cities would you consider to be lacking in this area What cities are completely overrated, style-over-substance, and have no real character to claim as quintessentially their own?

Feel free to mention any cities not included in this poll. Let me know your thoughts. Ciao
Not entirely true. Both Chicago and Philadelphia belong on that list as well.

The most soulless city I have ever visited: Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.