Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Soul-less Cities???
Dallas 38 31.40%
Orlando 59 48.76%
Atlanta 17 14.05%
Houston 39 32.23%
Denver 19 15.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,083,893 times

Advertisements

Its been said that "America has only 3 cities; New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans...everywhere else is Cleveland." There are certain cities, like the 3 mentioned, that are known for their personality, charm, flair, and uniqueness. This, to me, equals SOUL.

With that, what cities would you consider to be lacking in this area What cities are completely overrated, style-over-substance, and have no real character to claim as quintessentially their own?

Feel free to mention any cities not included in this poll. Let me know your thoughts. Ciao

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 09-04-2013 at 11:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 02:19 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
"It has been said" by whom? I think that is really bogus. I happen to like Cleveland. I think it has a lot of good quality. And I think there are plenty more cities with charm, flair and soul each in their own way. To say there are only three cities in the entire USA that fall in with your definition of "soul" tells me you don't get around much.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Tennessee Williams said that in the early 20th century. It is worth noting that when he said that cities like Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, Minneapolis, Kansas City, etc. were as newly minted in their existence as cities as places like Orlando and Phoenix are now. In most cases it takes time and the accumulation of culture and history for cities to develop souls. A city should have existed as a city in multiple eras. It should have experienced both booms and busts, and maybe even have the odd ruin or two. It should have layers. The places Tennessee Williams was talking about back then are no longer generic places, and eventually the places we are talking about in this thread won't be either. Atlanta and Houston are already not generic, Atlanta hasn't been for a long time.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:27 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I live in Denver, and I feel much of the suburbs, and much of the city lack soul.

IMO Denver doesn't have much soul beyond the Broncos, and now weed. There is a small ski element, but I don't think it overwhelms the city at all.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Atlanta.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:47 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Tennessee Williams said that in the early 20th century. It is worth noting that when he said that cities like Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, Minneapolis, Kansas City, etc. were as newly minted in their existence as cities as places like Orlando and Phoenix are now. In most cases it takes time and the accumulation of culture and history for cities to develop souls. A city should have existed as a city in multiple eras. It should have experienced both booms and busts, and maybe even have the odd ruin or two. It should have layers. The places Tennessee Williams was talking about back then are no longer generic places, and eventually the places we are talking about in this thread won't be either. Atlanta and Houston are already not generic, Atlanta hasn't been for a long time.
Very well stated.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:36 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Yep

Old 09-05-2013, 06:42 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
None of the above are soulless.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:44 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly gentilly View Post
its been said that "america has only 3 cities; new york, san francisco, and new orleans...everywhere else is cleveland." there are certain cities, like the 3 mentioned, that are known for their personality, charm, flair, and uniqueness. This, to me, equals soul.

With that, what cities would you consider to be lacking in this area What cities are completely overrated, style-over-substance, and have no real character to claim as quintessentially their own?

Feel free to mention any cities not included in this poll. Let me know your thoughts. Ciao

charlotte, raleigh.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Its been said that "America has only 3 cities; New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans...everywhere else is Cleveland." There are certain cities, like the 3 mentioned, that are known for their personality, charm, flair, and uniqueness. This, to me, equals SOUL.

What halfwit said that? And what halfwit believes that?

To me, there are only two soulless cities in America: Orlando and Las Vegas. All the rest have an animating spirit, a vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.