Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Soul-less Cities???
Dallas 38 31.40%
Orlando 59 48.76%
Atlanta 17 14.05%
Houston 39 32.23%
Denver 19 15.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 09:43 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The fact that you chose only those particularly cities to include in your poll proves you have a bias agaisnt them. Otherwise you'd have made this an open-ended question.
Nope. Those are just the ones that I've known to be considered bland. Did you even read my initial post? I asked you to include any city you thought deserved it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Hmm...but you were being defensive about a POSITIVE statement I made about me enjoying and liking Houston.
It's not a "positive" statement if it goes on to mention disputable negatives about that city.

Quote:
You(annoyingly so) took issue with me saying I didnt like how christian it is...which it is. There is also a large gay christian population in Houston, just like Atlanta. Therefore your anectdote about Annise Parker STILL doesn't discount the large christian community that exists there.
I never said a large Christian community doesn't exist here, and my referencing the election of Parker was not an anecdote. Please look that word up.

Quote:
Secondly, I in fact NEVER stated that Houston is more religious than New Orleans. Don't even know where that came from.
No, you didn't state that directly. Rather, it could easily be construed that you meant to say "the heavy concentration of close-minded christianity" you left behind is absent from where you currently live. If that isn't what you meant, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I stand behind my statement that your suggestion of Christian fanaticism being rampant here is misguided.

Quote:
I was warned via DM about you Texas posters, I just had no idea how overly defensive you all are. Geez...
Unfortunately, I was never warned about the reckless posting habits that exist here.

Quote:
AGAIN, I like Houston
I'm glad to hear it.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Nope. Those are just the ones that I've known to be considered bland. Did you even read my initial post? I asked you to include any city you thought deserved it...
I think giving your poll an "Other" option might have made that more clear. As it is, your thread/poll has the appearance of being designed for the sole purpose of bashing the selected cities. It doesn't help matters that this thread comes off the heels of several other "vs." topics you've participated in that involved some of the same cities.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyReverie View Post
what does this have to with the subject of this forum? Lots of pointless bantering going on...
I agree it doesn't other than the fact that when someone is challenged in a slightly insulting manner they usually feel the need to defend themselves. In all fairness, you should have quoted both posts; mine and the not so nice one to which I was responding regarding my not understanding quotations as the result of my allegedly not reading a whole lot.

This thread has raised a lot of criticism which doesn't surprise me because it is pointless and has been discussed several times before. I didn't intend to waste any more time on the subject matter so that's it for me.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I think giving your poll an "Other" option might have made that more clear. As it is, your thread/poll has the appearance of being designed for the sole purpose of bashing the selected cities. It doesn't help matters that this thread comes off the heels of several other "vs." topics you've participated in that involved some of the same cities.
The only vs topics I've been involved in were about Atlanta, New Orleans, or Sacramento. And very few of my comments have been intentionally derogatory.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:32 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It's not a "positive" statement if it goes on to mention disputable negatives about that city.

I never said a large Christian community doesn't exist here, and my referencing the election of Parker was not an anecdote. Please look that word up.

No, you didn't state that directly. Rather, it could easily be construed that you meant to say "the heavy concentration of close-minded christianity" you left behind is absent from where you currently live. If that isn't what you meant, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I stand behind my statement that your suggestion of Christian fanaticism being rampant here is misguided.

Unfortunately, I was never warned about the reckless posting habits that exist here.

I'm glad to hear it.
Nairboi relax the over whelming conseus is this guy is ignorant....He is sputing off at the mouth.. but I am willing to bet no matter what city he is in he is boring.. he is like a child needing something flashing in his face to keep him amused..

I am willing to bet he is not the type to kayak down the bayou , because the water looks dirty. he would never out of the blue just sign up for this..http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...fr=yfp-t-900-s

He would never decided to get out and meet people by joining in on somethingl ike mass critcal.. riding with stranges thu the city at night..http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...fr=yfp-t-900-s..

are take in a show at a place like the jazz cat cafe( which showcase.. some of the best jazz act of our time)..or the beerfest..http://houston.culturemap.com/news/f...h-riotous-fun/..

Free press summer press with it 100,000 people( I have a feeling he would spend more time crying about the heat, )http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...fr=yfp-t-900-s

Last edited by Truth713; 09-05-2013 at 10:44 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 10:35 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
...another Houstonian
If your city was bashed repeatedly by everyone and looked at as not having any redeeming qualities, wouldn't you be defensive yourself?

Old 09-05-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Nairboi relax the over whelming conseus is this guy is ignorant....He is sputing off at the mouth.. but I am willing to bet no matter what city he is in he is boring.. he is like a child needing something flashing in his face to keep him amused..

I am willing to bet he is not the type to kayak down the bayou , because the water looks dirty. he would never out of the blue just sign up for this..Texas’ largest canoe and kayak race, The Buffalo Bayou Regatta will ...
Lol...another Houstonian. Get the hell off it already

Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If your city was bashed repeatedly by everyone and looked at as not having any redeeming qualities, wouldn't you be defensive yourself?
I would and I do defend when speaking about New Orleans. So I know how it feels. My whole issue is that I never bashed Houston. I really like Houston and have said that several times.

Thats why I'm not understanding being called "ignorant", "moronic", etc by all these Houstonians when I never knocked Houston...quite the opposite

Old 09-05-2013, 10:49 PM

219 posts, read 285,471 times
Quote:
Lol...another Houstonian. Get the hell off it already
Well, I am not from Houston and you are just trying to push peoples buttons.....any other city's residents would act the same way guaranteed if you went after their cities like you did Houston

Sounds like Houstonians have a lot of pride in their great city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.