Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,823 times

Advertisements

I've heard:

Loss ANN-gliss
Loss AN-juh-leez
Loh-s ANG-uh-leez
Loss AN-Jell-us Probably most common
And of course:

ELL-AY

I tend to say all of those depending on my mood. Some I do just to be funny, or just because.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:46 PM

110 posts, read 300,275 times
Native Atlantans pronounce it without the second "T" at the end. So it's like "Atlanna"

DeKalb county shouldn't be pronounced with the "L." So it should be "dekab"

Ponce De Leon Avenue in Atlanta has been completely translated into southern speak. So it's more like "ponts du leeon"

Older locals pronounce Marietta like "Mayretta"

There are so many Native American place names around here. You're not a true native until you can pronounce "Chattahoochee" by just glancing at it.

South Georgia is more fun to examine.

Vienna, GA is pronounced "Viyenna"
Monticello, GA is "montisellow"
Vidalia, GA is "Vidaya"

Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cope1989 View Post
Native Atlantans pronounce it without the second "T" at the end. So it's like "Atlanna"

Vidalia, GA is "Vidaya"
Like Tronno, Ontario. Or even, by some people, Tronna. By the way, Montreal, by local English speakers, is munt-re-awl.

I heard a local radio announcer say vah-day-OAL-ya when I was driving through Vidalia. I admired southern stations that weren't afraid to sound southern.

Another Georgia town is al-BINNY, for Albany.

I've heard people in the area say both core-deal and core-delly. How do you say Cordele? Ive noticed that a lot of southern cities are pronounced differently by whites and blacks.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,065 times
Topsail Island in North Carolina is pronounced Tops'll, with a neutral vowel instead of the ai sound.

The island was named as such because Pirates used to hide in the waterway behind it, and approaching ships were warned to look for the topsails of the pirate ships on the other side of the island.

Also, Beaufort SC and Beaufort NC.

Beaufort NC is closer to the French pronunciation of "Bow-Fort"

Beaufort SC is pronounced "Boo-f't" with a neutral vowel instead of the 'or'

Old 05-11-2012, 03:17 PM

167 posts, read 856,777 times
Some more fun stuff on Canada:

Toronto has several pronunciations:

Tow-RON-t'oh (most people who are not from Toronto will say it like this, like people in other parts of Canada or tourists, immigrants, etc)

Native Torontonians and most people who are from southern Ontario will say either:

Tor-onno, Traw'na or Tron-no and usually get mocked for pronouncing it like that by people in other parts of Canada, especially in Western Canada. I intentionally pronounce it "Tow-ron-t'oh" and it really irritates my mother. She tells me to say it as "Toronno!" Tsk, whateva!

Using the same logic, for Ottawa it sounds kind of pretentious to say "Aw-tah-wah" with equal emphasis on each syllable (some older people might say it like that) but most Canadians will say "Odd-ah-wah" with more stress on the first syllable.

And for Vancouver, BC I've noticed people who are born and raised there usually pronounce it as "Van-Q-ver" whereas most people say "Van-koo-ver"

The province of Saskatchewan is often pronounced "Sas-cat-chew-ON" by many Canadians, especially in Ontario. But I believe most Saskatchewan residents will say it as "Sas-cat-chew-win" kind of like the deal with Oregon pronounced with "in" at the end of the name, or even "organ"

I lived in the province of Québec for nearly a decade and have heard Canadians, whether from Quebec or other parts of Canada pronounce it as "Q-beck", "Kwuh-beck" and "Kay-bec"

Incidentally, when speaking English, Montréal is "Mun-tree-all" but if you were speaking French, it's "Moh-rhay-ahl"

Newfoundland is pronounced "New-fund-land" and NOT "New-found-land"

I'm not from there, but I believe most Calgarians will pronounce Calgary as "Kal-guh-ree" NOT "Kal-Gary"

I've actually heard an American say "Montana" for "Manitoba" Yeah, they're kinda sorta geographically close to each other, but...

As for the US city and state names, I did quite well! I actually pronounced many of them they way they are commonly pronounced by locals! (like Des Moines, Illinois, Puget Sound, La Jolla, etc) but there were some that got me. Don't ask me to say Fayetteville - now I'm totally confused!

Old 05-11-2012, 04:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
A couple of other Canadian ones:
New Glasgow with a Z (zed), as new GLAZZ-go. It's right next to Pictou as in TOE.
Antigonish and Mirimichi accented on first and last syllable.
Dalhousie as in HOW.
Unlike the same name in the US, Ottawa in Canada always a fully pronounced (but not accented) final WAH syllable, and not just sluffed off.

I've mentioned this before, but is is critical and worth mentioning again:
St. Johns (Newfoundland) is always abbreviated St, and always accented on John's
Saint John (New Brunswick) is never abbreviated St, and always accented on the SAINT.
St. Johns Quebec can be St.-Jean in French where it always has a hyphen. Spell it and say it in French sa(n)-ZHAW(N) to avoid confusion.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:39 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,930,705 times
Norfolk, Virginia

Pronounced by locals as "nor-***," "nor-fik", or "naw-fik." Not "nor-folk," or even worse "nor-fork."

Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM

167 posts, read 856,777 times
Haha, yeah I definitely wouldn't say "nor-fork" - I don't know why people add extra letters sometimes.

Kind of like "New Westminster" in BC. You have no idea how many people say "New West-min-is-ter" (note "minister" like a priest), it's "New West-MIN-ster" and NOT "New West-MIN-IS-ter" (take out the extra "i" and the extra "s". It's 4 syllables, not 5. Sometimes I would correct people and say "it's New Westminster" and they would say "yeah, that's what I said, New Westmininster." D'oh! Sometimes I even got mail addressed to me in "New Westminister"

Just thought of another one... in Canada we do not have states, we have provinces. However, it's so close to the word "Providence" (like the city in Rhode Island), and sometimes Americans will talk about a certain "Providence" in Canada. It's a "province" (praw-vince) NOT Praw-vi-dence. 2 syllables, not 3.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:27 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,560,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A couple of other Canadian ones:
New Glasgow with a Z (zed), as new GLAZZ-go. It's right next to Pictou as in TOE.
Antigonish and Mirimichi accented on first and last syllable.
Dalhousie as in HOW.
Unlike the same name in the US, Ottawa in Canada always a fully pronounced (but not accented) final WAH syllable, and not just sluffed off.

I've mentioned this before, but is is critical and worth mentioning again:
St. Johns (Newfoundland) is always abbreviated St, and always accented on John's
Saint John (New Brunswick) is never abbreviated St, and always accented on the SAINT.
St. Johns Quebec can be St.-Jean in French where it always has a hyphen. Spell it and say it in French sa(n)-ZHAW(N) to avoid confusion.
And Regina is sometimes mispronounced re-JEE-na, but it's re-JY-na.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:56 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy73 View Post
Some more fun stuff on Canada:

Toronto has several pronunciations:

Tow-RON-t'oh (most people who are not from Toronto will say it like this, like people in other parts of Canada or tourists, immigrants, etc)

Native Torontonians and most people who are from southern Ontario will say either:

Tor-onno, Traw'na or Tron-no and usually get mocked for pronouncing it like that by people in other parts of Canada, especially in Western Canada. I intentionally pronounce it "Tow-ron-t'oh" and it really irritates my mother. She tells me to say it as "Toronno!" Tsk, whateva!

Using the same logic, for Ottawa it sounds kind of pretentious to say "Aw-tah-wah" with equal emphasis on each syllable (some older people might say it like that) but most Canadians will say "Odd-ah-wah" with more stress on the first syllable.

And for Vancouver, BC I've noticed people who are born and raised there usually pronounce it as "Van-Q-ver" whereas most people say "Van-koo-ver"

The province of Saskatchewan is often pronounced "Sas-cat-chew-ON" by many Canadians, especially in Ontario. But I believe most Saskatchewan residents will say it as "Sas-cat-chew-win" kind of like the deal with Oregon pronounced with "in" at the end of the name, or even "organ"

I lived in the province of Québec for nearly a decade and have heard Canadians, whether from Quebec or other parts of Canada pronounce it as "Q-beck", "Kwuh-beck" and "Kay-bec"

Incidentally, when speaking English, Montréal is "Mun-tree-all" but if you were speaking French, it's "Moh-rhay-ahl"

Newfoundland is pronounced "New-fund-land" and NOT "New-found-land"

I'm not from there, but I believe most Calgarians will pronounce Calgary as "Kal-guh-ree" NOT "Kal-Gary"

I've actually heard an American say "Montana" for "Manitoba" Yeah, they're kinda sorta geographically close to each other, but...

As for the US city and state names, I did quite well! I actually pronounced many of them they way they are commonly pronounced by locals! (like Des Moines, Illinois, Puget Sound, La Jolla, etc) but there were some that got me. Don't ask me to say Fayetteville - now I'm totally confused!
In New Jersey, we pronounce Canada's Newfoundland as "New-fund-lund" but our own town of the same name as "New-FOUND-land".

I had no idea until I read your post that anyone ever pronounced Calgary as Kal-Gary. People are all over the place with "Quebec", though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.