Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 AM

103 posts, read 358,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
everything there seems new/fresh ...not alot of old run down bulildings
Something tells me you've never actually been to CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,973 times
We're the number 1 place in America technology fashion films cars entertainment food
All the.big companies like google.YouTube twitter Facebook instagram all came from California.brands like McDonalds and in n out burger taco bell so yeah i agree California is pretty much dominate compared to the rest of the u.s

Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,025 times
You never want to put any type of thread on this site that's about California. People will just bash it. The OP was just voicing how he felt. And for a good part, it's true. Everybody outside of CA just dismiss anything positive about it and rant on about how much they hate Hollywood. Well, check this out: I hate narrowminded stereotyping people who rant angrily about things they don't know too much about. This whole "lets gang up on California and smugly condescend to Californians because they are cool and trendy because it's cool and trendy for us to do so despite us being too dense to realize the irony" thing is annoying and IMO kinda what's wrong with this country

California HAS in fact brought a lot of innovation and many MANY technological, areospace and medical improvements to the US and the World that it does deserve some credit. If some guy from a middle of nowhere state that is basically useless wants to rant and throw around the Imigration/overcrowded/bankrupt card go right ahead. It's okay, California helped invent the Internet for ALL OF US You're welcome World.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:45 AM

4 posts, read 6,810 times
Default California vs USA

The United States Bureau of Reclamation applied to the California State Water Resources Control Board for a permit for much water that would be impounded by the New Melons Dam, a unit of the California Central Valley Project.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
When you consider that the USA as a whole is in retrograde motion, it is not a positive endorsement to say one state is "10 years ahead" of the rest, although it may very well be true.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
The rest of the nation had better hope and pray that in 10 years that they will not be just like California. There have been dozens of threads, with thousands of posts and millions of words, on CD on the topic of California's ills and about how dysfunctional and headed for disaster it is. Heaven help the USA if the rest of it becomes like California.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 AM

963 posts, read 2,411,354 times
Wellll...I think California does lead the nation in a lot of ways - especially in pop culture, lifestyle, and emerging technology.

BUT the bad does come with the good: I would call myself a progressive, so the environmental movement and gay rights prominence of California (it should be noted that neither of those things first occurred in California) is something that I consider good, and I note that those things do infiltrate the rest of the US, which is a nation of continually evolving cultural values as we turn into a mature nation. Nonetheless, California is also the birthplace of some hideous urban sprawl, some terrible urban street gangs, some atrocious smog and pollution problems, some horrific traffic.

So - while California has laid a lot of innovative concepts upon the rest of the country, it has laid out an equal quantity of the very kinds of things everyone from environmentalists to small-town preservationists to urban planners recoil at.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:58 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Wellll...I think California does lead the nation in a lot of ways - especially in pop culture, lifestyle, and emerging technology.

BUT the bad does come with the good: I would call myself a progressive, so the environmental movement and gay rights prominence of California (it should be noted that neither of those things first occurred in California) is something that I consider good, and I note that those things do infiltrate the rest of the US, which is a nation of continually evolving cultural values as we turn into a mature nation. Nonetheless, California is also the birthplace of some hideous urban sprawl, some terrible urban street gangs, some atrocious smog and pollution problems, some horrific traffic.

So - while California has laid a lot of innovative concepts upon the rest of the country, it has laid out an equal quantity of the very kinds of things everyone from environmentalists to small-town preservationists to urban planners recoil at.
People in NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, Miami, Bmore would disagree.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Is there ANYTHING that they would AGREE with? Think about that for a second, no way people from NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, Miami (why the f**k is Miami on here?) and Bmore EVER give any sort of credit toward anything west of the Mississippi. Hell, a California based firm could invent time travel and instead of saying: "oh wow that's so cool" people from those Northeastern cities will just scoff at it and act unimpressed. Good job guys, way to be apart of the team

Old 08-01-2012, 10:56 PM

93 posts, read 158,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I don't think the world is going to stand still because of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.