Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times

Advertisements

If the rest of the US is going to be like California, that means there will no longer be a US, it will be Mexico, or New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,961,788 times
California is definitely a state that is ahead of the curve in many ways, but the same could be said about Vermont, New York, Maryland, New Jersey, Connecticut, Washington...just to name a few.

If I were to argue that any one state was ahead of the rest of the country, Massachusetts would easily get my vote. It's probably the most progressive state in the country.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 AM

77 posts, read 200,420 times
Did California develop the world's best selling plug-in hybrid electric car? No, that was Michigan.

Did California put plans in motion to become the first state to have a single payer health care system? No, that was Vermont.

Did California become the first state to legalize gay marriage? No, that was Massachusetts.

Did California create the world's most and most dominant operating system? No, that was Washington.

Did California create America's most successful organic/healthy supermarket chain? No, that was Texas.

Did California enact the first state-wide law to guarantee workers the right to earn paid sick leave? No, that was Connecticut.

Now, could I make a list of things California did first or lead the nation in? Absolutely. My point is that while California is certainly a great state that is ahead of the curve in many ways, it's not unique in that since other states can very reasonably claim to be just as ahead. I love California, but smug Californians who fail to see the thriving world outside our borders are just annoying and need to be quieted.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:34 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
If the rest of the US is going to be like California, that means there will no longer be a US, it will be Mexico, or New Mexico.
Oh, you're smart!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:40 PM

53 posts, read 87,722 times
California Suggests Suicide; Texas Asks: Can I Lend You a Knife? - Forbes

Old 08-03-2012, 05:48 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I have been struggling with this idea for a while but it seems to me that California is ahead of the rest of the nation at least 10 years in every single aspect. Does anybody agree? I live in Minneapolis-St Paul (very progressive city by Midwest standards) and everytime I go to San Diego, LA or even the smaller towns like Riverside, it seems like the stuff that is new to us, in California, it is like old news. Example: Our light rail has been operating for 2-3 years, a city like Sacramento has had theirs since 1987 We have a lot of new food co-ops here and the whole "organic food" thing is starting to catch on. Some of the food co-ops in California were established in the 70's Gotta love California!
WOW Sacramento is only Behind Boston by 91 years!
and London by 100

Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Pffffft, Texas STILL wishes it were California. At least CA isn't bending over to take Big Business D*ck like Texas is.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,894,395 times
California's a nice place but you should really shrink that head of yours.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
California's a nice place but you should really shrink that head of yours.
It's fine. It's for my big brain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.