Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:06 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,732 times

Advertisements

I have been struggling with this idea for a while but it seems to me that California is ahead of the rest of the nation at least 10 years in every single aspect. Does anybody agree? I live in Minneapolis-St Paul (very progressive city by Midwest standards) and everytime I go to San Diego, LA or even the smaller towns like Riverside, it seems like the stuff that is new to us, in California, it is like old news. Example: Our light rail has been operating for 2-3 years, a city like Sacramento has had theirs since 1987 We have a lot of new food co-ops here and the whole "organic food" thing is starting to catch on. Some of the food co-ops in California were established in the 70's Gotta love California!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 09:13 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I have been struggling with this idea for a while but it seems to me that California is ahead of the rest of the nation at least 10 years in every single aspect. Does anybody agree?
Every single aspect? No way.

In general, Californians always seem eager to try new and different things, but IMO this leads them to just as many bad ideas as it does good ideas.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:07 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Silly thread...

Old 11-30-2007, 10:19 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Silly thread...
Probably because you know it is true.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
Have to agree with Steve-O. No comparable geographical size, lifestyle - nothing in common, really. At least compare a state to a state or LA to Chicago, etc. etc, in which case I'd say Chicago has it over LA (public transportation).

Old 11-30-2007, 10:25 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Probably because you know it is true.
Hardly. To be honest, it seems alot of stuff spreads more from the east coast and goes west. Hell, look at planes, trains, automobiles, etc, etc, etc... Its true that CA definitely is a front runner in many areas, but to think that they lead everything is laughable.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:31 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,387 times
Quote:
I have been struggling with this idea for a while but it seems to me that California is ahead of the rest of the nation at least 10 years in every single aspect. Does anybody agree? I live in Minneapolis-St Paul (very progressive city by Midwest standards) and everytime I go to San Diego, LA or even the smaller towns like Riverside, it seems like the stuff that is new to us, in California, it is like old news. Example: Our light rail has been operating for 2-3 years, a city like Sacramento has had theirs since 1987 We have a lot of new food co-ops here and the whole "organic food" thing is starting to catch on. Some of the food co-ops in California were established in the 70's Gotta love California!
Yeah, I see a trend. They were the first to let illegal immigration get way out of control and go bankrupt as a worlds top ten largest economy.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:46 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
If you're talking (pop) cultural fads, then maybe, but in every single aspect? No way, José. There are too many industries spread across the nation for CA to be leaders in every one.

You just THINK so because they're #1 in film, and because that's what they want you to think. You've been brainwashed by their media! Blinded by the bling, glossy magazines, and flashing lights! Like most of America, sadly...

I'm so glad I got rid of my TV for this reason.

(Also, I have a feeling NYers would vehemently disagree with you, especially if you're using light rail as an example of CA's forward-thinking-ness. )

Old 11-30-2007, 11:08 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,682 times
Quote:
Disagree with is post. One example: Organic Foods first in California? Whole Foods is from Texas.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:16 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
It's true. That's why we're vastly superior to everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.