Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:00 PM

751 posts, read 1,179,228 times

Advertisements

I went to Venice Beach once and fell in love with that place. What a great , positive vibe. I have never seen so many interesting people in one place, people from all walks of live, races and backgrounds, anything from homeless people to executives just enjoying themselves. Then, I saw this big mural of Jim Morrison (The Doors). Proceeded to walk down the boardwalk and saw more than 10 different street performers in less than an hour. I have not seen anything in the United States that compares to Venice, what an incredible place! I am definitely moving to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 07:00 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,566 times
Well, in certain areas, California definitely is ahead of the country in as far as adopting certain political measures that are adopted by the rest of the country. Part of this is probably just because they are such a huge state (like 50% bigger than the next biggest state Texas).

Anyway, California adopted certain pollution control measures and auto emission standards before the rest of the country. They still are on the cutting edge of improving their air (mainly because they have such a problem in Southern California and the Central Valley). They were also ahead of the curve in terms of getting rid of affirmative action. They were ahead of the curve in terms of wilderness protection and wildlife protection. They are again ahead of the curve in terms of tackling global warming.

Again, I think probably the biggest reason is that there are so many people out there. Another reason may be that many people are "new" residents (i.e. they haven't been living in the state for generations like back east) and therefore maybe are a little more likely to be less concerned with tradition and history.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:01 PM

718 posts, read 2,689,094 times
venice is an interesting reason to choose to move to california

Old 11-30-2007, 10:05 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,918,218 times
California needs the US more than we need Cali. That said, Cali is one of the most important states.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:19 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,080,424 times
California -- population 34 million, one in two persons born in another state, one in four born in another country -- is bound to be a place of all kinds of ideas and trends both good and bad.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:28 PM

343 posts, read 933,005 times
I understand where this thread is coming from. I lived in Santa Barbara for 22 years and upon visiting anywhere else, I would discover that trends, tastes, and events that were important elsewhere had long since faded in california. That being said, there are many pockets of 'california' elsewhere in the US. Some examples include Austin, TX, Boulder, CO, Madison, WI, and a great many places in NM.

This is not to claim any superiority for CA, since that is obviously a mistake. But it is important to recognize that there is a greater divide culturally and linguistically between CA and the rest of the US than is found in ANY OTHER US STATE. Texas is perhaps second on this list.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:27 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Well, in certain areas, California definitely is ahead of the country in as far as adopting certain political measures that are adopted by the rest of the country. Part of this is probably just because they are such a huge state (like 50% bigger than the next biggest state Texas).

Anyway, California adopted certain pollution control measures and auto emission standards before the rest of the country. They still are on the cutting edge of improving their air (mainly because they have such a problem in Southern California and the Central Valley). They were also ahead of the curve in terms of getting rid of affirmative action. They were ahead of the curve in terms of wilderness protection and wildlife protection. They are again ahead of the curve in terms of tackling global warming.

Again, I think probably the biggest reason is that there are so many people out there. Another reason may be that many people are "new" residents (i.e. they haven't been living in the state for generations like back east) and therefore maybe are a little more likely to be less concerned with tradition and history.

What California is smaller geographically than Texas and its population is a lot larger not 50% by any means. Oh yea and Texas is growing faster also.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:38 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
California needs the US more than we need Cali. That said, Cali is one of the most important states.
California get's back less from the Federal government than the rest of the states, and is pushing 40 mil (if you count the illegals). California is the greatest state, it's importance justified easily. The only thing that travels east to west is Lyme disease.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:43 PM

751 posts, read 1,179,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
California is the greatest state, it's importance justified easily.
I did a lot of "California dreaming" in my life. It feels like the dream will finally become a reality. I will never forget one Sunday afternoon, driving out of Oxnard on 101 heading towards Ventura. The song playing was America-Ventura Highway

Ventura Highway, in the sunshine
Where the days are longer
The nights are stronger than moonshine!
you're gonna go, I know

It was almost like the lyrics of that song were speaking to me. I pulled over and enjoyed a magical sunset by the ocean. Unforgettable

Old 12-01-2007, 06:14 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Every single aspect? No way.

In general, Californians always seem eager to try new and different things, but IMO this leads them to just as many bad ideas as it does good ideas.
To me: California reminds me of a huge Petri dish.........

I used to love Calif; but, I hate to admit to this--------I am more 'Conservative' than many folks west of the Colorado River which may explain why I am doing OK here in Arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.