Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:04 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
They have a lot of white power groups in California. California has a lot of hillbilly and redneck towns in the desert, ever been to Barstow before its a scary place.
The only white power groups in Barstow are from Sinaloa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:08 AM

65 posts, read 125,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Despite your birthplace, as a true native born Southerner, I declare you to be a true Southerner.
I'm blushing
seriously, my folks are relocating to DE this summer... I hope to never in my life step foot within the boundaries of NJ again in my life... and I'd like to limit the trips to DE too for that matter... not a fan, haha

Old 01-17-2015, 08:29 AM

446 posts, read 678,110 times
lmao those videos are funny especially the bill maher videos. as a native southerner and atlantan videos like this are funny

Old 01-17-2015, 01:54 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the north has nothing to hate the south about. they raped the south and laughed.
what the south hopefully has learned is dont take up arms unless you are willing to go all the way.
they werent and when the north got their act together, the south paid dearly for their reluctance.
Really? How did the North "rape" the South?

Old 01-17-2015, 02:38 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Personally,

I'm from Deep South Alabama--Mobile, close to the Gulf Coast, Pensacola, FL, and Escambia County. I've never been to the North and would like to go, especially NYC. Winters are unpredictable out here; we have thunderstorms that cause tornadoes at least once a year, and the climate constantly fluctuates from sort of cold to very warm in winter. It also rains a lot, probably as much as in Seattle. Then, there is the occasional hurricane in warmer months (FYI, tropical storms affect a larger area and so may cause more damage, but they are safer than severe thunderstorms. I would rather be here during a hurricane than during a tornado). Plus, the education system is not what it should be. There's a significant pocket of people who do not trust the education system, so they don't buy into it; that means there are people who practice professions who have never gone to school to learn them: garage auto-mechanics, contractor hacks, good ole boy plumbers, etc. Now, that is scary. The degrees and certificates mean something, people! Really, the beaches and friendly people are probably the only good qualities about this place. There are pockets of politically progressive people, but there are also really backwards non-progressive people who were bred to be that way and may never change. The New York Times seems to revel in this fact and takes advantage of it in the Wal-Mart parking lots when they want to get the "Southerner's perspective." We aren't all like that. In fact, most of us aren't, but the few who are exist and will be found to shame us.

I've heard that the North is busy and unfriendly, but most of the people I've met from the North, especially the New England area, are very friendly; they are probably more friendly than we are, actually, because theirs appears genuine. Southerners act friendly to outsiders, but the key word is "act." Fall out of line or forget a pleasantry, then they show their true colors. All things considered, I think the North is a better place for a young professional. There's more opportunity, a more diverse atmosphere, and more open-mindedness. The only Southerners who seem genuinely kind-hearted are, ironically, those silly hillbillies I mentioned earlier. Backwards ignorant people are at least decent human beings; well, some of them are.
All I can say is wow. Simply stated, I pretty much disagree with everything you just wrote about the Southern people compared to the Northern people. I have interacted with a great deal of people from around the country and it's hard not to notice how much nicer Southerners generally are compared to people from other regions. I like Southerners for their ways. The elitism your post exudes is just maddening. How is being pleasant and friendly, having values, and not blindly trusting our society's power structure considered a bad thing?]

Old 01-17-2015, 03:05 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
I think the South has already risen again, but not the way they thought it would when that saying, "the South will rise again" was first said. I'd put Texas , Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia up against other prosperous non-Southern states such as NY, Colorado, Minnesota, Washington, Arizona, and Oregon and the Southern states can hold their own.

If it had not been for the Civil War and slavery, the South would probably be the most prosperous region in the nation. The South has been paying for their loss for over a hundred years, and only in the last 40 to 50 years the South has really picked up steam and most of it seems to be rolling along just fine.

People are people no matter where you go. If you are friendly and respectful , most people will respond in the same manner, no matter what religion they are or what state or country they come from.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:53 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
All I can say is wow. Simply stated, I pretty much disagree with everything you just wrote about the Southern people compared to the Northern people. I have interacted with a great deal of people from around the country and it's hard not to notice how much nicer Southerners generally are compared to people from other regions. I like Southerners for their ways. The elitism your post exudes is just maddening. How is being pleasant and friendly, having values, and not blindly trusting our society's power structure considered a bad thing?]
Well, I guess another man's life will always seem more appealing than the one we lead. I really just want a change of scenery. I know this place a little too well. If I ever move to the North, though, I may gain a different perspective the first time someone refuses to give me their seat on the bus or doesn't stop to chat on the way home from work. I may be in for a rude awakening, but how do I know if I've never tried?

Old 01-17-2015, 05:57 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Ever heard of Sherman's march to the sea? The siege of Vicksburg?

Yeah, the US raped the South.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
The South has so many damn Yankees(joking) transplants now in NC, GA especially around Atlanta, SC, various parts of FL, TN especially around Nashville, the South diverse economy, better winter weather, lower taxes and cost of living is making more and more Midwesterners and Northeast transplants move down. Almost all my family from the North moved to GA, TN and FL now from PA, OH and NY.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:20 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Google Carpetbaggers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.