Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most racially (and ethically) diverse and integrated major U.S. city?
Atlanta 6 3.19%
NYC 58 30.85%
Los Angeles 19 10.11%
Chicago 10 5.32%
Houston 45 23.94%
Dallas 0 0%
San Antonio 3 1.60%
San Diego 2 1.06%
Seattle 10 5.32%
San Francisco 7 3.72%
Portland, OR 1 0.53%
Minneapolis 1 0.53%
Las Vegas 1 0.53%
Albuquerque 1 0.53%
Tampa 3 1.60%
Nashville 1 0.53%
Washington, D.C. 7 3.72%
Philadelphia 0 0%
New Orleans 2 1.06%
Other (please specify) 11 5.85%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:58 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,230 times

Advertisements

NYC is very diverse, however for the most part it isn't very integrated. There are exceptions to this (certain sections of Western Queens and Southern Brooklyn are somewhat mixed), however for the most part the city is fairly segregated.

That being said, NYC is still much more diverse and integrated than any other place I can think of on the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,892 times
Can't believe NYC. It isn't very integrated. Hometown bias again I think.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:21 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
integrated and diverse are TOTALLY different.

Chicago is 1/3 black, 1/3 hispanic and 1/3 white (basically, there's also a couple hundred thousand Asians), but it's certainly not the most integrated.

Seattle is very integrated, but not very diverse.

It's really hard to figure this one out...the more you have large diverse numbers of ethnic groups, the more neighborhoods are going to form. The more you have one group dominating diversity, Seattle, Portland, the more you will probably find the remaining groups spread out among the city.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:36 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,291,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Who voted Tampa? Seriously now.
Everyone has a right to an opinion now... I voted for NYC...but seriously...it should stop being on these lists...we already know NYC beats almost every city and almost everything...
I could see Houston, Chicago too...maybe even San Francisco, San Diego, Miami, Philly, Phoenix, and Dallas... i would say LA if it didn't say INTEGRATED...which LA does not do a good job with...
NYC is very integrated, or at least as much as Houston... you could find FOBS and 'no hablo ingles' s in Houston just as much as NYC, anyways the diversity in NYC is much greater then that of Houston's....

Old 02-19-2008, 02:39 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
NYC is very integrated, or at least as much as Houston... you could find FOBS and 'no hablo ingles' s in Houston just as much as NYC, anyways the diversity in NYC is much greater then that of Houston's....
I don't think you understand the dynamic of NYC...but like you said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. The person who voted Tampa is probably closer than anyone who voted NYC, although what you don't understand is that in NYC, you don't really have "mixed neighborhoods" and when everyone gets home from work and gets out of the subway, it's not the dreamland of diversity that it is portrayed as or that the tourists see in Downtown Manhattan. Although you can find people of almost any background, the neighborhoods are very segregated. The suburbs are so segregated it's almost like the 50s in areas of Long Island. Houston GENERALLY does not have that kind of segregation in it's neighborhoods as they tend not to be dominated by a certain group. The rest of these cities all have it to a certain extent, but NYC is probably the MOST segregated on the list.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Everyone has a right to an opinion now... I voted for NYC...but seriously...it should stop being on these lists...we already know NYC beats almost every city and almost everything...
I could see Houston, Chicago too...maybe even San Francisco, San Diego, Miami, Philly, Phoenix, and Dallas... i would say LA if it didn't say INTEGRATED...which LA does not do a good job with...
New Yorkers will even tell you their city is very segregated.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:14 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,735 times
forgot some cities there....yet somehow added in alberquerque....

Old 02-19-2008, 08:12 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
forgot some cities there....yet somehow added in alberquerque....
That's why there is an 'other' option.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:15 PM

699 posts, read 2,237,258 times
Are we talking about city propers only or metro areas?

Most cities tend to be segregated in the city centers, but integrated in the outer areas, which could cloud many things.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:24 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

It's really hard to figure this one out...the more you have large diverse numbers of ethnic groups, the more neighborhoods are going to form. The more you have one group dominating diversity, Seattle, Portland, the more you will probably find the remaining groups spread out among the city.
Perhaps has something to do with how long the groups have been established in the city. For example, Chicago has had a good size black community for over 80 years. Seattle and Portland, I'm guessing their black communities didn't become sizeable until the last few decades, after the Civil Rights Act was passed. Just a guess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.