Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most racially (and ethically) diverse and integrated major U.S. city?
Atlanta 6 3.19%
NYC 58 30.85%
Los Angeles 19 10.11%
Chicago 10 5.32%
Houston 45 23.94%
Dallas 0 0%
San Antonio 3 1.60%
San Diego 2 1.06%
Seattle 10 5.32%
San Francisco 7 3.72%
Portland, OR 1 0.53%
Minneapolis 1 0.53%
Las Vegas 1 0.53%
Albuquerque 1 0.53%
Tampa 3 1.60%
Nashville 1 0.53%
Washington, D.C. 7 3.72%
Philadelphia 0 0%
New Orleans 2 1.06%
Other (please specify) 11 5.85%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:45 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times

Advertisements

NYC is very segregated. The only two groups that may live together are blacks and hispanics. But NYC is the most segregated city in the US IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 09:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Perhaps has something to do with how long the groups have been established in the city. For example, Chicago has had a good size black community for over 80 years. Seattle and Portland, I'm guessing their black communities didn't become sizeable until the last few decades, after the Civil Rights Act was passed. Just a guess...
Hmm. As they say in Minnesota: "Interesting". You know Minnesotan. You should know what that means.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:35 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
New Yorkers will even tell you their city is very segregated.
Yes but their is segregation in every city... I mean it might be segregated more then other cities...but I mean Segregation is everywhere... Like here in Dallas all the middle class African Americans reside in Southern Dallas county, all the Asians reside in the North-Northwestern part, The Hispanics are the one who actually occupy all of it except the Southern Part and other spotty areas, and The Whites are North Dallas and generally follow Asian trends in terms of area...or the opposite way around...
I have Family in Houston, it isn't too much different from here in Dallas. The only thing different Racially about Houston is that it has a slightly more Asians, which hare predominantly Chinese and Vietnamese, unlike Dallas which is a Total mix of Koreans, Indians, Chinese, Vietnamese, Pakistanis, Laotians, and god knows what else...now to think even some of the nationalities in Dallas are broken up, the Cambodians and Laotians reside in East Dallas, The Chinese in North, The Vietnamese in Northeast, the Koreans in Northwest, and Indians Northwest as well...anyways that was sort of a tangent...
but their is segregation everywhere, and further more the Asians and Hispanics seem less FOB-yer then a lot of other cities.
I'm surprised Houston is tied... Houston is Lacking in the Asian department as most of Texas is... and Most Hispanics are Mexican... but who am I to tell anyone what to do.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Yes but their is segregation in every city... I mean it might be segregated more then other cities...but I mean Segregation is everywhere... Like here in Dallas all the middle class African Americans reside in Southern Dallas county, all the Asians reside in the North-Northwestern part, The Hispanics are the one who actually occupy all of it except the Southern Part and other spotty areas, and The Whites are North Dallas and generally follow Asian trends in terms of area...or the opposite way around...
I have Family in Houston, it isn't too much different from here in Dallas. The only thing different Racially about Houston is that it has a slightly more Asians, which hare predominantly Chinese and Vietnamese, unlike Dallas which is a Total mix of Koreans, Indians, Chinese, Vietnamese, Pakistanis, Laotians, and god knows what else...now to think even some of the nationalities in Dallas are broken up, the Cambodians and Laotians reside in East Dallas, The Chinese in North, The Vietnamese in Northeast, the Koreans in Northwest, and Indians Northwest as well...anyways that was sort of a tangent...
but their is segregation everywhere, and further more the Asians and Hispanics seem less FOB-yer then a lot of other cities.
I'm surprised Houston is tied... Houston is Lacking in the Asian department as most of Texas is... and Most Hispanics are Mexican... but who am I to tell anyone what to do.
You can believe what you want,but many people will disagree with you.

btw,Do you like living in Texas?.....just asking because you talk down on it alot.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:03 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I don't think you understand the dynamic of NYC...but like you said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. The person who voted Tampa is probably closer than anyone who voted NYC, although what you don't understand is that in NYC, you don't really have "mixed neighborhoods" and when everyone gets home from work and gets out of the subway, it's not the dreamland of diversity that it is portrayed as or that the tourists see in Downtown Manhattan.
Thats not true at all. White most neighborhoods in NYC are majority one race or another, there is always some level of mixing. Unless you are talking about really bad ghetto neighborhoods which are usually 95%+ black & hispanic, most neighborhoods are mixed to some degree.

However a mixed neighborhood in NYC probably means something a whole lot different to people living in the city than it does to someone from outside of the area.

I would consider most of Western Queens to be mixed as most of the neighoborhoods in that area are about 1/3 white, 1/3 asian, and 1/3 hispanic. To make things even more complicated, the people in those racial groups (white, hispanic, asian) are often all mixed up. So take a neighborhood like Astoria or Sunnyside in Queens. In those neighborhoods the white population is probably close to 1/3-1/2 of the neighborhood. However within that a lot of white people are made up of Greeks, Arabs, Eastern Europeans, Irish, Italians, Jews, etc. Same goes for Hispanics who will generally be from all over Latin America and not just Mexico and Central America as appears to be the case nearly everywhere else in the country.

So I guess my point is that the dynamic is just really different around here.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:47 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Hmm. As they say in Minnesota: "Interesting". You know Minnesotan. You should know what that means.
I don't speak Minnesotan. What does that mean?!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I don't speak Minnesotan. What does that mean?!
I think she means my post really *wasn't* interesting to her. "Interesting", as I've heard it spoken in MN, is kind of a dismissive comment. Has to do with passive-aggression, a trait exhibited by many who live here. In other places, people would just say "Whatever."

Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You can believe what you want,but many people will disagree with you.

btw,Do you like living in Texas?.....just asking because you talk down on it alot.

He lives in Dallas, so give him a break .

Old 02-20-2008, 05:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I think she means my post really *wasn't* interesting to her. "Interesting", as I've heard it spoken in MN, is kind of a dismissive comment. Has to do with passive-aggression, a trait exhibited by many who live here. In other places, people would just say "Whatever."
My DD who went to college in MInnesota told me "Interesting" means, "I disagaree, but I don't want to say it".

Old 02-20-2008, 05:44 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
My "Other" vote is for Oakland...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.