Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most racially (and ethically) diverse and integrated major U.S. city?
Atlanta 6 3.19%
NYC 58 30.85%
Los Angeles 19 10.11%
Chicago 10 5.32%
Houston 45 23.94%
Dallas 0 0%
San Antonio 3 1.60%
San Diego 2 1.06%
Seattle 10 5.32%
San Francisco 7 3.72%
Portland, OR 1 0.53%
Minneapolis 1 0.53%
Las Vegas 1 0.53%
Albuquerque 1 0.53%
Tampa 3 1.60%
Nashville 1 0.53%
Washington, D.C. 7 3.72%
Philadelphia 0 0%
New Orleans 2 1.06%
Other (please specify) 11 5.85%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbeabetch View Post
Actually, it is a top tier city for diversity. However, even moreso it fits the bill as a city that is integrated and in that category it's quite unmatched (for a city it's size).

We're not speaking generally, I thought we were speaking factually.

Even New Yorkers would admit that there is a lot of segregation within the city. Not many is disputing that fact.

I'm not bashing Sacramento, but it really isn't a major city (at least IMO)! Just because I said it wasn't a major city doesn't mean it isn't (in a regional respect) and I certainly didn't mean to say that it's a bad city.
So let's compare Houston and Washington DC since you want to do "major" cities and Sacramento doesn't fit the bill for you.

Both metropolitans are around the same size, and both have similar amount of foreign born nationalities.

DC is known to be integrated as well as Houston. It also has a tremendous amount of diversity.

Total population as of 2005
Houston - 5,193,448
Washington - 5,119,490

Total Foreign Born population as of 2005
Houston - 1,113,875
Washington - 1,017,432

DC shows a much greater range of foreign born nationalities than Houston as well as a greater number in almost each nationality except for Mexico and a few others.

Integration is a somewhat intangible statistic, it is just hard to define with any stat or formula. But, I can assure you that the area is as integrated as Houston is.

So, if both cities are integrated, wouldn't DC beat out Houston on being the most diverse and integrated major US city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 09:33 PM

5 posts, read 5,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
So let's compare Houston and Washington DC since you want to do "major" cities and Sacramento doesn't fit the bill for you.

Both metropolitans are around the same size, and both have similar amount of foreign born nationalities.

DC is known to be integrated as well as Houston. It also has a tremendous amount of diversity.

Total population as of 2005
Houston - 5,193,448
Washington - 5,119,490

Total Foreign Born population as of 2005
Houston - 1,113,875
Washington - 1,017,432

DC shows a much greater range of foreign born nationalities than Houston.

Integration is a somewhat intangible statistic, it is just hard to define with any stat or formula. But, I can assure you that the area is as integrated as Houston is.

So, if both cities are integrated, wouldn't DC beat out Houston on being the most diverse and integrated major US city?
Probably not more integrated, but definitely more diverse. Stop doing metropolitian areas! The poll asks about city, not about the metro (and for that matter other states.)

Old 02-26-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbeabetch View Post
Probably not more integrated, but definitely more diverse. Stop doing metropolitian areas! The poll asks about city, not about the metro (and for that matter other states.)
Metropolitan statistics are far more relevant for discussion than city propers, in almost every situation.

You do realize that Houston's city proper is 600+ square miles while Washington D.C. is a City-State that only covers 64 square miles.

And how do you know its not more integrated? Have you never heard about the United Nations like offices/schools/shops around D.C.?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:49 PM

I'm not trying to be a betch, but I'm just trying to show actual data to help determine what cities really are the most diverse.

As for the most integrated, I still stick to Sacramento. Houston could very well be the most integrated like you say. As I stated earlier, integration is a very hard thing to define.

I still think Sacramento is a major city.

Last edited by tenken627; 02-26-2008 at 10:36 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 11:21 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
I know that this includes foreign-born only and not natural-born citizens. But, generally, you can tell how large an ethnicity is in a city through its foreign-born population. A city with large amounts of foreign-born Vietnamese would signify a large population of Vietnamese-Americans who were born in the US as well.
I could talk about the Polish in Chicago who have since integrated (It's already been a 100 years). All the diversity from the world is useless if it's segregated.

Quote:

---

D.C. diverse? It's full of native-born government workers and foreign-born embassy workers. The only thing D.C. is known for are bad restaurants.

Integration could be measured; Majority-Minority population, Fair Housing violations, etc. could be used.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I could talk about the Polish in Chicago who have since integrated (It's already been a 100 years). All the diversity from the world is useless if it's segregated.
The Polish have indeed been integrated in Chicago for decades, and many have mixed in with the general population of Chicago. The descendants of the first generations of Polish immigrants are now professionals and businesspeople. Some of them don't even speak Polish.

Most of the Polish shops and restaurants are still run by foreign-born or 2nd generation Polish though, and help keeps that ethnic flavor alive.

Quote:
D.C. diverse? It's full of native-born government workers and foreign-born embassy workers. The only thing D.C. is known for are bad restaurants.
Oh really? So all those foreign born people are embassy workers? I guess I must notify the Korean Embassy that I'm supposed to work there. Native-born are all government workers? Bad restaurants? I see.

Quote:
Integration could be measured; Majority-Minority population, Fair Housing violations, etc. could be used.
So, can you bring out some statistics on Majority-Minority population and Fair Housing violations to show whether or not a place is integrated for me?

Last edited by tenken627; 02-27-2008 at 08:37 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Way to slap him down Tenken! Ignorance and jealousy is bliss!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Way to slap him down Tenken! Ignorance and jealousy is bliss!
I'm not trying to slap anyone down. I actually am truly interested in the subject.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,658 times
Quote:
Metropolitan statistics are far more relevant for discussion than city propers, in almost every situation.

You do realize that Houston's city proper is 600+ square miles while Washington D.C. is a City-State that only covers 64 square miles.

And how do you know its not more integrated? Have you never heard about the United Nations like offices/schools/shops around D.C.?
Sorry your town is tiny (no offense), but everyone who wants to live in Houston can live here. There's actually room...work and play in one city/state (gotta love the sprawl for that reason). For Houston the city population proper is way beyond much more relevant than any metropolitan statistical area. Of course this would slight the comparison seeing as msa's have to be used for the geographically smaller metros.

I do disagree with Kerrtown though, because there's no reason to get nasty or offensive.

I'm sure Sacramento is a great city but it's not major...to more people than you would know.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trh2095 View Post
Sorry your town is tiny (no offense), but everyone who wants to live in Houston can live here. There's actually room...work and play in one city/state (gotta love the sprawl for that reason). For Houston the city population proper is way beyond much more relevant than any metropolitan statistical area.

I do disagree with Kerrtown though, because there's no reason to get nasty or offensive.

Please explain to me why city propers limits are more relevant than metropolitan limits in comparing one city to another .

Last edited by tenken627; 02-27-2008 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.