Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most racially (and ethically) diverse and integrated major U.S. city?
Atlanta 6 3.19%
NYC 58 30.85%
Los Angeles 19 10.11%
Chicago 10 5.32%
Houston 45 23.94%
Dallas 0 0%
San Antonio 3 1.60%
San Diego 2 1.06%
Seattle 10 5.32%
San Francisco 7 3.72%
Portland, OR 1 0.53%
Minneapolis 1 0.53%
Las Vegas 1 0.53%
Albuquerque 1 0.53%
Tampa 3 1.60%
Nashville 1 0.53%
Washington, D.C. 7 3.72%
Philadelphia 0 0%
New Orleans 2 1.06%
Other (please specify) 11 5.85%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breethecowgirl View Post
NYC!
And why the hell is everyone saying Houston, Houston would never be as diverse as New York, or Los Angeles.
O_o....Houston is diverse and Houston is very integrated. You do know its like one of the most diverse cities in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:27 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahinhouston View Post
Yeah Houston has a lot of races living in it, but you also have a good number of red necks. I wouldn't say Houston is minglled enough. But you see various races living in their own villages. Pretty much self segregatted city.
in the city, i would say that the number of rednecks is about average in any u.s. city

Old 02-26-2008, 11:53 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breethecowgirl View Post
NYC!
And why the hell is everyone saying Houston, Houston would never be as diverse as New York, or Los Angeles.
Did you read the last part about being "integrated?" New York, for the sake of tradition I guess, wants to stay segregated.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:22 PM

699 posts, read 2,237,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
O_o....Houston is diverse and Houston is very integrated. You do know its like one of the most diverse cities in the US?
Actually, Houston is kind of on the low side in actual number of different foreign born nationalities. As is much of the South. While Houston has a large number foreign born percentage (21.45%), most of them belong to a few nationalities, mainly Mexican (Mexicans take up 50% of all foreign born nationalities in Houston).

http://gstudynet.org/gum/US.htm

Old 02-26-2008, 12:49 PM

572 posts, read 1,996,000 times
Thank you Tenken for showning facts.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
Thank you Tenken for showning facts.
No problem. While Houston is indeed getting more and more ethnically diverse, it is nowhere near being one of the most diverse cities in the country yet.

I've also heard somewhere that Sacramento is the most integrated city in America from a study.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 5,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
No problem. While Houston is indeed getting more and more ethnically diverse, it is nowhere near being one of the most diverse cities in the country yet.

I've also heard somewhere that Sacramento is the most integrated city in America from a study.
Funny though, you miss the technicalities of the question. Houston beats those other cities (maybe not metropolitan areas--metropolitan areas don't really tell you very much about a city in that respect, it tells you how great the city isn't...other states...ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?) when it comes to integration, maybe not diversity (if we're speaking specifically about nationality...but Houston does have a lot Mexicans--true.) Houston is and has been diverse for quite a while. People don't think the South can be diverse, but you just need to deal with it, because it can be! Also, your facts are only based on foreign-born residents (another technicality) rather than looking at the whole population. Last time I checked people who were born in this country could be diverse too.

Integration in (most) of NYC--that's quite laughable. NYC has the diversity hands down; However, the closest anyone who lives there is getting to a person of a different background is possibly in the cubicle next to them, 20 floors up. The housing market of NYC simply doesn't encourage housing integration. Houston's does. Fact of the matter is most people haven't been to Houston before they even open their mouths to talk about it. Sure, in instances I have based my ideas off of what people said and what I read--happens all the time, but I do try to avoid it.

And pssh, Sacramento is hardly a major city. (Wait, wait, wait...it's NOT a major city. Maybe in California though.)

Last edited by dontbeabetch; 02-26-2008 at 08:34 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,183,481 times
Tampa is actually pretty damn integrated for a city its size. I actually think the larger the city the less integrated but more diverse, because ethnic enclaves usually produce in larger cities.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbeabetch View Post
Funny though, you miss the technicalities of the question. Houston beats those other cities (maybe not metropolitan areas--metropolitan areas don't really tell you very much about a city in that respect, it tells you how great the city isn't...other states...ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?) when it comes to integration, maybe not diversity (if we're speaking specifically about nationality...but Houston does have a lot Mexicans--true.) Houston is and has been diverse for quite a while. People don't think the South can be diverse, but you just need to deal with it, because it can be!
I understand full well the question. I wasn't necessarily pointing out that Houston is not integrated. Houston is very much integrated compared to many other cities in the West and Northeast. My point is that unlike what many people say, Houston is NOT one of the top tier cities in ethnic diversity. It is still high, but more in the 6-10 range.

Quote:
Also, your facts are only based on foreign-born residents (another technicality) rather than looking at the whole population. Last time I checked people who were born in this country could be diverse too.
I know that this includes foreign-born only and not natural-born citizens. But, generally, you can tell how large an ethnicity is in a city through its foreign-born population. A city with large amounts of foreign-born Vietnamese would signify a large population of Vietnamese-Americans who were born in the US as well.

Quote:
Integration in (most) of NYC--that's quite laughable. NYC has the diversity hands down; However, the closest anyone who lives there is getting to a person of a different background is possibly in the cubicle next to them, 20 floors up. The housing market of NYC simply doesn't encourage housing integration. Houston's does. Fact of the matter is most people haven't been to Houston before they even open their mouths to talk about it. Sure, in instances I have based my ideas off of what people said and what I read--happens all the time, but I do try to avoid it.
Even New Yorkers would admit that there is a lot of segregation within the city. Not many is disputing that fact.

Quote:
And pssh, Sacramento is hardly a major city. (Wait, wait, wait...it's NOT a major city. Maybe in California though.)
Huh? Why are you bashing Sacramento? I'm not trying to bash Houston.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 PM

5 posts, read 5,358 times
Quote:
I understand full well the question. I wasn't necessarily pointing out that Houston is not integrated. Houston is very much integrated compared to many other cities in the West and Northeast. My point is that unlike what many people say, Houston is NOT one of the top tier cities in ethnic diversity. It is very high, but more in the 5-10 range.
Actually, it is a top tier city for diversity. However, even moreso it fits the bill as a city that is integrated and in that category it's quite unmatched (for a city it's size).

Quote:
I know that this includes foreign-born only and not natural-born citizens. But, generally, you can tell how large an ethnicity is in a city through its foreign-born population. A city with large amounts of foreign-born Vietnamese would signify a large population of Vietnamese-Americans who were born in the US as well.
We're not speaking generally, I thought we were speaking factually.

Even New Yorkers would admit that there is a lot of segregation within the city. Not many is disputing that fact.

Quote:
Huh? Why are you bashing Sacramento? I'm not trying to bash Houston.
I'm not bashing Sacramento, but it really isn't a major city (at least IMO)! Just because I said it wasn't a major city doesn't mean it isn't (in a regional respect) and I certainly didn't mean to say that it's a bad city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.