Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most racially (and ethically) diverse and integrated major U.S. city?
Atlanta 6 3.19%
NYC 58 30.85%
Los Angeles 19 10.11%
Chicago 10 5.32%
Houston 45 23.94%
Dallas 0 0%
San Antonio 3 1.60%
San Diego 2 1.06%
Seattle 10 5.32%
San Francisco 7 3.72%
Portland, OR 1 0.53%
Minneapolis 1 0.53%
Las Vegas 1 0.53%
Albuquerque 1 0.53%
Tampa 3 1.60%
Nashville 1 0.53%
Washington, D.C. 7 3.72%
Philadelphia 0 0%
New Orleans 2 1.06%
Other (please specify) 11 5.85%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I think she means my post really *wasn't* interesting to her. "Interesting", as I've heard it spoken in MN, is kind of a dismissive comment. Has to do with passive-aggression, a trait exhibited by many who live here. In other places, people would just say "Whatever."
Ah. I speak "Portland," so I was able to translate it easily. (Also a passive-aggressive city).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Ah. I speak "Portland," so I was able to translate it easily. (Also a passive-aggressive city).
As I previously explained, my daughter who went to college in Minnesota told me "interesting" was a diplomatic way of saying "I don't like it", or "I disagree".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-27-2008 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-27-2008, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Please explain to me why city propers limits are more relevant than metropolitan limits in comparing one city to another .
I said in the case of a large city proper, like Houston. The city proper limits do just fine, as part of the city of Houston is suburban itself. People who want city life in Houston live inside the main highway, the loop and people who want suburban lifestyle live outside of it. It's urban and suburban all in one city. Once you go out of Houston's city limits then you're just talking about a something different. Houston is like a metro in itself. A lot of other major U.S. cities are different...not that that's bad, they just are. A lot of cities have a small city proper with a large metropolitan area. Houston is the opposite.

Last edited by trh2095; 02-27-2008 at 09:06 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 10:32 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As I previously explained, my daughter who went to college in Minnesota told me "interesting" was a diplomatic way of saying "I don't like it", or "I disagree".
Yes, I heard you the first time. I was just joking around.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:32 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,048 times
California's big cities are the most integrated & diverse. Not saying everybody is throwing cross-cultural block parties or anything, but you're quite likely to see alot of people of various races shopping together in malls, or seen together in various contexts, in LA, San Fran & San Diego. Compared to the South & Northeast that's for sure.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:28 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
No problem. While Houston is indeed getting more and more ethnically diverse, it is nowhere near being one of the most diverse cities in the country yet.
guess again, my dear. foreign born population has little to do with diversity.

you tell me that a city has 56% of foreign born natives, and for all i know, that could mean all 56% was born in mexico, while the rest of the city is white.

now let's say a city has only 24% of foreigners. in that 24% there could be hundreds and hundreds of different nationalities, in relatively smaller numbers, but it still makes that city highly diverse, with a rainbow of different people.

notice that on all those graphs, all of the nationalities could not fit in the circle. you can't prove a point if you don't have all the facts.

see what i'm saying? houston has the third largest number of consulates of any city in the united states, and only new york and los angeles have more. more than 90 different languages are spoken here. not only this, but the city is highly integrated, making it the most eligible city on this list. those are the facts.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Nairobi,

Didn't we cover this consulates versus embassies thing a while ago? Are you serious? Have you heard of embassy row? Embassy Row - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DC has offices and embassies for every friendly and not so friendly country in the world?

List of Washington, D.C. embassies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TRH,

Large cities (land wise) like Houston and Phoenix are unattractive if the population isn't there to justify the size. Take Chicago, which is large in my opinion. It has 2.8 million people in 230 square miles which averages out to over 12,000 per square mile. Because of its size, Houston is at a disadvantage. 600 square miles is great if you have 16 million people. NYC has 300 square miles of urbanity with 8 million people. With only 2.4 million people in 600 square miles that equals out to 3,000 people per square mile. Some states in the US have better density.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:02 PM

13 posts, read 13,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Nairobi,

Didn't we cover this consulates versus embassies thing a while ago? Are you serious? Have you heard of embassy row? Embassy Row - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DC has offices and embassies for every friendly and not so friendly country in the world?

List of Washington, D.C. embassies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TRH,

Large cities (land wise) like Houston and Phoenix are unattractive if the population isn't there to justify the size. Take Chicago, which is large in my opinion. It has 2.8 million people in 230 square miles which averages out to over 12,000 per square mile. Because of its size, Houston is at a disadvantage. 600 square miles is great if you have 16 million people. NYC has 300 square miles of urbanity with 8 million people. With only 2.4 million people in 600 square miles that equals out to 3,000 people per square mile. Some states in the US have better density.
I've lived in D.C., Boston, NYC and Houston. I don't think that this was density/urbanity contest. Not to offend anyone, but when I think of density I kinda get the image of a bunch of people smushed together on a really funky train, which I have seen all too often There are differences. Houston and Phoneix are just fine the way they are, they are different cities and they are justified by a lot of other things besides just population. People can have city and suburb at the same time..it looks like someone else has the disadvantage. If there are so many people in the city proper, I would think that most people would be fine with just city proper values.; However, for some reason (on here) people love their metros. To you the cities are unattractive (and I get the feeling you have never been to Houston or Phoneix before and if you have my apologies for that assumption, as I do respect your opinion) but maybe not so for the millions of people that live there...some people like to be able to have room to "stretch their legs."

Some states in the US have better diversity and intergration.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:18 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,226 times
There are parts of Atlanta that are diverse and quite a few interracial couples are there. There are also parts of the city that are compleately segregated.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 PM

87 posts, read 290,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
O_o....Houston is diverse and Houston is very integrated. You do know its like one of the most diverse cities in the US?
It is very diverse, but I see more diversity in LA and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.