Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most unassimilated immigrant community in America?
Miami Cubans 29 19.73%
Dearborn Arabs /Detroit area 51 34.69%
Rio Grande Valley Mexicans 25 17.01%
Southern California Mexicans 11 7.48%
San Francisco Chinese 17 11.56%
Boston Irish 2 1.36%
New Jersey Italians 2 1.36%
Louisiana French / Cajuns 3 2.04%
Upper Midwest Germans 3 2.04%
Hawaii Japanese 4 2.72%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 12:49 AM

296 posts, read 246,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
A lot of Hispanics in Miami are not really assimilated, however Miami itself is a weird case since you have a lot of wealthy expats from Latin America (ie Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, etc) who live there either part time or just own a second house/condo there for investment purposes and have no intention of moving into the US on a permanent basis.

Yeah, Miami is the most unassimilated community I've seen personally. I guess because many of them came over with money. It's more of a colonizer mentality. Move in, setup your own environment that caters to your language & culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 03:59 AM

209 posts, read 146,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Regardless of their nationality or ethnicity, Muslims who do not live in predominantly Muslim countries are the absolute worst when it comes to assimilation, and no other group of people is even in the same galaxy of non-assimilation as they are. It should be emphasized that proper assimilation involves much more than simply learning how to speak the language of the country you immigrate to. It also involves respecting the laws, customs, values and culture of the country you immigrate to, and many (most?) Muslims are openly, unapologetically and vehemently disrespectful of the laws, customs, values and culture of countries that are not predominantly Muslim. An increasing number are even violently disrespectful, as the steady increase in violent crime all over Europe in the last two decades (and especially this decade) has proven. Generally speaking, many (most?) Muslims believe that the laws of their Koran (Sharia law) take precedence over the laws of any country that is not predominantly Muslim, which is the primary reason why they do such a poor job of assimilating. It's willful disobedience. When in Rome, they refuse to do as the Romans do.
All of this also applies to ultra Orthodox Jewish populations in places like Kiryas Joel NY and Lakewood NJ. I classify these types of religious-ethnic tribes as cults.

Old 08-21-2021, 02:27 PM

6,817 posts, read 6,054,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I guess I could say several of the groups listed fail to assimilate. I am curious though why am I included in this group in this day and age Boston Irish. I didn't know we didn't assimilate when we came to Boston. I guess some people must think we haven't. That's ok though I was just curious.
I guess it's a question of how much Irish Bostonians resemble the Puritan WASPs that originally built up the city/area vs how much they resemble Irish-Americans in other parts of the country?

Old 08-21-2021, 11:21 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I guess it's a question of how much Irish Bostonians resemble the Puritan WASPs that originally built up the city/area vs how much they resemble Irish-Americans in other parts of the country?
I do get the feeling that Boston Irish are still a very insular group that really doesn't like to associate with those outside of that group, and that outsiders aren't particularly welcome in Boston Irish neighborhoods. But still not to the extent of Arab Muslims in general, or Miami Cubans.

I'm not sure if the Amish counts as an immigrant community that unassimilated. The Louisiana Cajun culture is a homegrown culture much more so than a transplanted French culture the way Quebec is in Canada.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:15 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
Ok, the idea of "assimilation" is kind of BS in my opinion. Basically, what that means is adopting and becoming more like white christian ppl in the US. No, thanks. I'm good. I'll stick with and promote MY culture while living in the US. I'm me, my culture is important to me and I am free to be who I want to be in the land of the free.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:29 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I do get the feeling that Boston Irish are still a very insular group that really doesn't like to associate with those outside of that group, and that outsiders aren't particularly welcome in Boston Irish neighborhoods. But still not to the extent of Arab Muslims in general, or Miami Cubans.

I'm not sure if the Amish counts as an immigrant community that unassimilated. The Louisiana Cajun culture is a homegrown culture much more so than a transplanted French culture the way Quebec is in Canada.
Cajuns are descendants of Arcadians from the Maritimes of Canada. Hence, the term Cajuns. So, it actually is a culture with roots elsewhere.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:24 PM

21,642 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
To a very very very high degree, they do. It's weird theyre on this poll. Ditto New Jersey Italians.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:31 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
Re: Brazilians, even when I lived in CA I found they preferred to stick to their own community.

In Miami, some/most—but not all—of the Cubans have this entitled and/or feeling of superiority to others partially encouraged by the preferential immigration status they received from the US under wet foot/dry foot before that program, thankfully, was ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalens View Post
Yeah, Miami is the most unassimilated community I've seen personally. I guess because many of them came over with money. It's more of a colonizer mentality. Move in, setup your own environment that caters to your language & culture.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:35 PM

21,642 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I do get the feeling that Boston Irish are still a very insular group that really doesn't like to associate with those outside of that group, and that outsiders aren't particularly welcome in Boston Irish neighborhoods.
You guys gotta stop watching the departed, lol. Didn't that take place in the 60s?

There's one predominately Irish neighborhood at this point in Boston-a small bit of southeast dorchester. I have no idea how you'd coudk realistically come to the conclusion they still dont “associate with outsiders.” associate? everyone who's not Irish and in Boston? That's unworkably narrow.

These are middle to upper middle class folks who work yuppies, have 800,000k in home equity, living in single family homes. They work with and live with WASPs and Asians all the time, and live a few blicks from predominately west indian part of Dorchester.

They've been here for 170 years. It's not comparable to Arabs and Cubans who speak different languages, look none-WASP, and arrived here in the last 60 years. These are people who wear vineyard vines and go t cap cod on the regular. By far and away this is the single most assimilated WASP group on this list. Only group commuting remotelycose are NJ Italians.

Most anywhere that was an Irish silo 30+ years ago either became racially diverse or yuppified. The last dust up with a yuppie that I heard of was in 2007. But idk if that's because someone was or wasn't Irish.

Also, they can't be unassimilated If they are the power structure in Americas oldest and traditionally waspiest major city. The literal “spirit of america”...

Is that what Chicago, Philly or NYC Irish are like?

Old 08-22-2021, 09:15 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,607,079 times
The choices are not equal. The two counties of the Lower Rio Grande have less than 10% non-Latino, and the nearest community with 50% non-Latino is 200 miles away. There is nothing for them to assimilate into. By contrast, Dearborn is surrounded by several million non-Arabs.

In the RGV, on your car radio, you nan only pick up a couple of English stations. In Detroit, they are virtually all English.

Last edited by arr430; 08-22-2021 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.