Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most unassimilated immigrant community in America?
Miami Cubans 29 19.73%
Dearborn Arabs /Detroit area 51 34.69%
Rio Grande Valley Mexicans 25 17.01%
Southern California Mexicans 11 7.48%
San Francisco Chinese 17 11.56%
Boston Irish 2 1.36%
New Jersey Italians 2 1.36%
Louisiana French / Cajuns 3 2.04%
Upper Midwest Germans 3 2.04%
Hawaii Japanese 4 2.72%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 09:21 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
That guy for some reason thinks that Mexicam-Americans are culturally the same as Mexicans.

Which is weird, because he's Asian and should know better.
Yeah, it's befuddling. I grew up in south Texas. Anyone younger than 55 spoke English. did they also speak Spanish? Sure. They all love the Dallas Cowboys too. But I find multiculturalism to be a strength of America, not a drawback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 10:21 AM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Is that true though? To my understanding people born there (especially San Antonio) overwhelmingly communicate in English.
Historically yes. (Obviously not any more for at least 130 years it’s been basically English) Like the whole reason Texas is part of the US I’d because American Immigrants refused to assimilate (eg moves from Alabama to Mexico and didn’t want to free their slaves)

English is the predominate language because of Anglo Westward expansion

Old 04-19-2021, 07:43 PM

1,351 posts, read 898,728 times
I'm an Upper Midwest German, and while both of my grandmothers were/are capable of conversational German, it pretty much died with their generation. There are plenty of obvious markers of that culture left, but absolutely everyone speaks English and very few people can speak conversational German here any more.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:00 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Most Hasidic Jews can at least speak English, which isn't true for Miami Cubans and South Texas Mexicans.

In terms of linguistic assimilation, Miami Cubans and the Mexicans or South Texas are definitely the least assimilated. Many people in Miami can't speak English at all, and many people whose families have been in Laredo for generations still speak with a Mexican accent and sound like a recent Mexican immigrant.

Culturally the Dearborn Arabs are also very unassimilated due to their Islamic religion. Islam tends to not assimilate in any place its transplanted to the same is true in Europe.
I haven’t been to Dearborn, but all Arab Americans or Muslim Americans I know who grew up in the United States or came here for a career can speak fluent English.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:08 AM

126 posts, read 80,675 times
Pretty much any 1st generation immigrant group and their children will be less assimilated if there is a big community of fellow country-of-origin speakers nearby. Only by necessity do immigrant groups assimilate fast. I can't fault them for that though, it takes time to become an American -- which is part of the reason why I think we should seal our borders for a period of decades to allow for everyone to Americanize.

We can't just pick out groups of people and say they don't assimilate like the rest, that is absurd and borderline prejudiced.

Did not vote for any.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:16 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Quote:
Is that true though? To my understanding people born there (especially San Antonio) overwhelmingly communicate in English.
Thats correct. San Antonio is Tejano not really Mexican. We can see this in terms of the number of Mexicans that are foreign born vs. American born. San Antonio is much more the later. Houston and especially Dallas are much more the former. In fact of all the major metro areas, I find that Mexicans in Dallas are the most tied to Mexico culturally. I know of no equivalent in any other Texas city to Jefferson Ave. in Oak Cliff.

The Mexican community in Dallas reminds me a lot of the Mexican community in Chicago. More so than the Mexican community in Houston even. Part of that is because the Hispanic communities in Dallas and Chicago are overwhelmingly Mexican whereas in Houston its much more mixed with other communities like Hondurans and Salvadorans.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:20 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,713,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Thats correct. San Antonio is Tejano not really Mexican. We can see this in terms of the number of Mexicans that are foreign born vs. American born. San Antonio is much more the later. Houston and especially Dallas are much more the former. In fact of all the major metro areas, I find that Mexicans in Dallas are the most tied to Mexico culturally. I know of no equivalent in any other Texas city to Jefferson Ave. in Oak Cliff.

The Mexican community in Dallas reminds me a lot of the Mexican community in Chicago. More so than the Mexican community in Houston even. Part of that is because the Hispanic communities in Dallas and Chicago are overwhelmingly Mexican whereas in Houston its much more mixed with other communities like Hondurans and Salvadorans.
Dallas and Chicago are really a lot more similar demographically than given credit for on C-D.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:06 AM

1,153 posts, read 631,712 times
First, we have to define "assimilation."

Is it speaking English fluently?

Is it meeting the standards of an "ideal American"(hard working, educated, self-made, moral)?

Is it being integrated with White Americans?

Is it being Judeo-Christian?

Is identifying as plain ol American as opposed to "san"-American(Italian, AA, Irish, Mexican, Jewish, Southern, etc.)?

Is it all of the above or none of the above?

It's hard to answer questions like this because "assimilation" will always be relative to how one perceives it.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:28 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
First, we have to define "assimilation."

Is it speaking English fluently?

Is it meeting the standards of an "ideal American"(hard working, educated, self-made, moral)?

Is it being integrated with White Americans?

Is it being Judeo-Christian?

Is identifying as plain ol American as opposed to "san"-American(Italian, AA, Irish, Mexican, Jewish, Southern, etc.)?

Is it all of the above or none of the above?

It's hard to answer questions like this because "assimilation" will always be relative to how one perceives it.
Old country Italian and Polish gramma who doesn't speak English? Cute. Old country Vietnamese or Hispanic gramma who doesn't speak English? Trash that refuses to assimilate. Ever notice a lot of little Italy's will fly Italian flags? Ever see it in Chinatown? I haven't on the latter.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:15 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Old country Italian and Polish gramma who doesn't speak English? Cute. Old country Vietnamese or Hispanic gramma who doesn't speak English? Trash that refuses to assimilate. Ever notice a lot of little Italy's will fly Italian flags? Ever see it in Chinatown? I haven't on the latter.
I never see anyone fly PRC flags. For that matter, I rarely see a lot of Asian flags in the US. I see a lot of Mexican and other Latin American flags though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.