Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most unassimilated immigrant community in America?
Miami Cubans 29 19.73%
Dearborn Arabs /Detroit area 51 34.69%
Rio Grande Valley Mexicans 25 17.01%
Southern California Mexicans 11 7.48%
San Francisco Chinese 17 11.56%
Boston Irish 2 1.36%
New Jersey Italians 2 1.36%
Louisiana French / Cajuns 3 2.04%
Upper Midwest Germans 3 2.04%
Hawaii Japanese 4 2.72%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 09:45 AM

12,882 posts, read 9,623,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I met forty somethings at Terlingua who can only speak broken English. Can't tell if that's the norm though.

Is it fair to compare these guys to other first generation groups though? The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was signed over a hundred and fifty years ago.
Probably need a bit more context. But if they've been migrant ranch hands in a rural area for 20 years, what opportunity is there to speak English? Regardless, I don't hold ill will towards them if they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 09:50 AM

12,882 posts, read 9,623,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I'm an Upper Midwest German, and while both of my grandmothers were/are capable of conversational German, it pretty much died with their generation. There are plenty of obvious markers of that culture left, but absolutely everyone speaks English and very few people can speak conversational German here any more.
A lot of the younger Asians these days don't speak a lick of their parent's native tongue. English only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Could it have to do with the fact a lot of Vietnamese, Cambodian and Chinese Immigrants are refugees. Like you’re not going to fly the PRC flag if you’re family came here to flee the Communist Army, or if you were South Vietnamese same thing.

You very much have them embrace other aspects of their culture. Like most Chinatown’s have Arch’s and Chinese style molding etc.
I don't think this means you're unassimilated. Variety and diversity is not a bad thing, well I guess it is to the OP.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:03 AM

2,876 posts, read 2,189,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Probably need a bit more context. But if they've been migrant ranch hands in a rural area for 20 years, what opportunity is there to speak English? Regardless, I don't hold ill will towards them if they don't.
They were sitting at the table next to mine at a restaurant, and just wanted to be social. They were dressed more like locals hanging out than tourists, but as I said the language barrier prevented much in depth communication.

These guys, if they're from the area, aren't really immigrants in the sense that the border crossed them instead of the other way, so that might account for some of the difference. Native Hawaiians are probably in a similar situation. In any case the Florida and Texas based Spanish speaking groups in the poll seem a little behind schedule compared to the others when it comes to picking up English and not choice of sports teams and entertainment. Not that these things decide who's more or less 'American' but they're a part of it.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:38 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,615,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
They were sitting at the table next to mine at a restaurant, and just wanted to be social. They were dressed more like locals hanging out than tourists, but as I said the language barrier prevented much in depth communication.

These guys, if they're from the area, aren't really immigrants in the sense that the border crossed them instead of the other way, so that might account for some of the difference. Native Hawaiians are probably in a similar situation. In any case the Florida and Texas based Spanish speaking groups in the poll seem a little behind schedule compared to the others when it comes to picking up English and not choice of sports teams and entertainment. Not that these things decide who's more or less 'American' but they're a part of it.
There are plenty of Mexican immigrants over there. Someone who grew up in Northern Mexico and moved to the RGV is still a Mexican national, that's different from someone who grew up in the RGV or elsewhere in South Texas.

Old 04-22-2021, 02:12 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,879,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
There are plenty of Mexican immigrants over there. Someone who grew up in Northern Mexico and moved to the RGV is still a Mexican national, that's different from someone who grew up in the RGV or elsewhere in South Texas.
Exactly. There are Mexican immigrants in the RGV, and there are migrant farm workers there seasonally. But most of the resident people of Mexican heritage in the RGV are Tejano and the culture of the area is overwhelmingly Tejano. You'd be hard-pressed to find a Tejano who doesn't speak English, and thow who also speak Spanish, speak a Spanish with distinctive regional features.

Old 04-22-2021, 03:06 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,615,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Exactly. There are Mexican immigrants in the RGV, and there are migrant farm workers there seasonally. But most of the resident people of Mexican heritage in the RGV are Tejano and the culture of the area is overwhelmingly Tejano. You'd be hard-pressed to find a Tejano who doesn't speak English, and thow who also speak Spanish, speak a Spanish with distinctive regional features.
Education in that region is conducted in English, too.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Education in that region is conducted in English, too.
Yup. And the schools are very mainstream Texan in terms of general culture. (Football! Football! Football! lol)

Old 08-19-2021, 07:51 PM

36 posts, read 19,550 times
I went ahead and point my vote and expressed my point of view. Now as a guy from South Florida who's never been to Rio Grande Valley what do you think makes Rio Grande Valley Mexicans less assimilated than Miami Cubans? Could Mexicans possible have a more imposing, unique culture? Truly I'm curious. Perhaps because because Mexicans in the region are much more numerous than Miami Cubans are in Southern Florida?

Old 08-19-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheWinner2016 View Post
Now as a guy from South Florida who's never been to Rio Grande Valley what do you think makes Rio Grande Valley Mexicans less assimilated than Miami Cubans?
They aren't. It's a false premise.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:11 PM

9,542 posts, read 16,553,143 times
I guess I could say several of the groups listed fail to assimilate. I am curious though why am I included in this group in this day and age Boston Irish. I didn't know we didn't assimilate when we came to Boston. I guess some people must think we haven't. That's ok though I was just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.