Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most unassimilated immigrant community in America?
Miami Cubans 29 19.73%
Dearborn Arabs /Detroit area 51 34.69%
Rio Grande Valley Mexicans 25 17.01%
Southern California Mexicans 11 7.48%
San Francisco Chinese 17 11.56%
Boston Irish 2 1.36%
New Jersey Italians 2 1.36%
Louisiana French / Cajuns 3 2.04%
Upper Midwest Germans 3 2.04%
Hawaii Japanese 4 2.72%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 05:43 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,468,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Well, for the previous 5+ decades, Cubans enjoyed special immigrant status that meant that they didn't have to live in the margins of society and were able to more quickly attain citizenship. This goes a long way to being more assimilated into society.

How many Cubans do you think actually came via wet-foot dry-foot? I can only name 3 members in my family that did, the vast majority came via airplane. Balseros which are Cubans that came by rafts, they generally stay in lower class and assimilate far far less. The vast majority of middle class Cubans came by ship or plane, with visas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 06:35 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What about when a US citizen doesn't respect US law? What about Timothy McVeigh? Not assimilated?
No, he wasn't assimilated, obviously, and he was put to death for what he did. The Unabomber wasn't assimilated either, for that matter.

As far as I'm concerned, people born and raised in the U.S. who hate our laws, customs, values and culture can get lost too. I don't limit my contempt to ungrateful immigrants, or any ungrateful sons and daughters of immigrants either. Regardless of where you were born and raised, if you don't like it here, then please go away. There are more than 200 other countries to choose from. Besides, as we keep hearing on this forum, life is too short to hate where you live, right?

Old 03-24-2017, 09:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,468,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
No, he wasn't assimilated, obviously, and he was put to death for what he did. The Unabomber wasn't assimilated either, for that matter.

As far as I'm concerned, people born and raised in the U.S. who hate our laws, customs, values and culture can get lost too. I don't limit my contempt to ungrateful immigrants, or any ungrateful sons and daughters of immigrants either. Regardless of where you were born and raised, if you don't like it here, then please go away. There are more than 200 other countries to choose from. Besides, as we keep hearing on this forum, life is too short to hate where you live, right?

Assimilation has nothing to do with crime. Sorry to break it to you, but the US is a violent nation. Crime is a part of our culture, and violence especially since the very beginning. Assimilation has nothing to do with that. So the dangerous areas of Detroit, Memphis, St. Louis, New Orleans, those areas aren't a part of American society? They very much are. America is a nuanced nation and when talking about assimilation you can't only be one sided. The Tsarnaev bro's were PoS's as was McVeigh and any one who has mugged, assaulted, raped or murdered in this country but thats got zero to do with assimilation. The Columbine shooters were not culturally separated from the rest of their white American peers, nor was Charles Manson. They were messed up in the head but they weren't "unassimilated."

Dzokhar Tsarnaev IS assimilated to US culture. Him being an Islamic terrorist has nothing to do with it. He still spoke English, wore American style fashion, used American expressions and slang. He's a horrible person and deserves to be put to death but that's got nothing to do with assimilation. Even carrying out an attack for religious extremism has nothing to do with it. The way you're saying it is like implying that "terrorism" is an innate part of his home culture as opposed to what it really is; a borderless evil that doesn't fully represent an entire culture. Thats like saying that killing Indians is representative of American culture. Its an awful part of our history but its hardly representative of our culture.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:24 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
Quote:
Assimilation has nothing to do with crime. Sorry to break it to you, but the US is a violent nation. Crime is a part of our culture, and violence especially since the very beginning. Assimilation has nothing to do with that. So the dangerous areas of Detroit, Memphis, St. Louis, New Orleans, those areas aren't a part of American society? They very much are. America is a nuanced nation and when talking about assimilation you can't only be one sided. The Tsarnaev bro's were PoS's as was McVeigh and any one who has mugged, assaulted, raped or murdered in this country but thats got zero to do with assimilation. The Columbine shooters were not culturally separated from the rest of their white American peers, nor was Charles Manson. They were messed up in the head but they weren't "unassimilated."

Dzokhar Tsarnaev IS assimilated to US culture. Him being an Islamic terrorist has nothing to do with it. He still spoke English, wore American style fashion, used American expressions and slang. He's a horrible person and deserves to be put to death but that's got nothing to do with assimilation. Even carrying out an attack for religious extremism has nothing to do with it. The way you're saying it is like implying that "terrorism" is an innate part of his home culture as opposed to what it really is; a borderless evil that doesn't fully represent an entire culture. Thats like saying that killing Indians is representative of American culture. Its an awful part of our history but its hardly representative of our culture.
No, Tsarnaev identified as a Chechen Muslim, not as an American. In fact he had a lot of trouble fitting into American society which alienated him.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:26 PM

What about New Jersey Italians? They're obviously different than Italians in Italy but most of them seek to stick together and not intermarry with anyone else and still act very Italian. Now I know this isn't the BEST example but in Jersey Shore the Italians on the show all wanted to specifically look for other Italians for their significant others. Jersey still has a large number of people with pure Italian ancestry who have not intermarried with other cultures. Their culture is also very distinct from "mainstream" American society and they've kept a lot of their Italian culture.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I dont agree. Appalachia is the area where most people report American as their primary ancestry so I'd say they're well integrated. Isolated I can understand but not unassimilated
Yes I live in West Virginia and most people here still have a mix of ancestries. Scots-Irish is often mixed in with Irish, German, English and Native American. A large number of people here are "white" but say they have Cherokee ancestors. The Trail of Tears did pass through WV and it was here that many were able to escape into the mountains. Also the people here who have accents do NOT speak in a Celtic or British accent. Not like how Spanish is the primary language of Miami and South Texas. And I disagree that people in South Texas shouldn't "assimilate" just because that area used to be Mexico, because after all the Native Americans now mostly speak English and live an American lifestyle.

Cajun country in South Louisiana is also a unique pocket.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Speaking the language is not the only criteria of assimilation. As another poster mentioned, Muslims in Dearborn are definitely not assimilated into American culture. Even the second generation, who speak fluent English, prefer Sharia law and don't believe in democracy/other American culture/values. They are still a small share of the population in the US, but they are just as unassimilated as their brethren from Europe.
Yes this is very disturbing. But maybe its just that an unassimilated Arab is farther from the cultural norm in the US than an unassimilated Mexican from South Texas or an unassimilated Cuban from Miami. The machismo culture is still very strong in South Texas for example and their cultural beliefs overall are the same as in Mexico.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:30 AM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Many people of all races prefer to socialize with others of the same race, ethnicity or religious background as themselves. This is true even for people whose ancestors have been in America for several generations.

So, I don't consider that to be necessarily an indication of non-assimilation.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:09 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Quote:
How many Cubans do you think actually came via wet-foot dry-foot? I can only name 3 members in my family that did, the vast majority came via airplane. Balseros which are Cubans that came by rafts, they generally stay in lower class and assimilate far far less. The vast majority of middle class Cubans came by ship or plane, with visas.
Are you kidding me? The Cuban immigration policies didn't affect just those arriving by homemade boats since the 90s. It applied to any Cuban arriving by any means to any place in the United States for several decades. The entire policy wasn't about "wet foot, dry foot". The Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966 and the acceptance of massive boat lifts including Mariel lifts in the early 80s were all done under the umbrella of special immigration privileges that resulted in residency and a more rapid path to citizenship.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:11 PM

412 posts, read 510,038 times
Why are Chinese not on this list? I passed through Chinatown, NY today and barely anyone spoke English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.