Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most unassimilated immigrant community in America?
Miami Cubans 29 19.73%
Dearborn Arabs /Detroit area 51 34.69%
Rio Grande Valley Mexicans 25 17.01%
Southern California Mexicans 11 7.48%
San Francisco Chinese 17 11.56%
Boston Irish 2 1.36%
New Jersey Italians 2 1.36%
Louisiana French / Cajuns 3 2.04%
Upper Midwest Germans 3 2.04%
Hawaii Japanese 4 2.72%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 01:23 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Louisiana Cajuns and Rio Grand/Arizona”Mexicans” aren’t immigrants. Many were there before it was Aneruca. They didn’t cross the border, the border crossed them.
They're also not "not assimilated", they seem like regular Americans to me as long as you're referring to US born ones.
Especially Cajuns, barely any of the young ones even speak French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 01:24 PM

3,580 posts, read 3,082,791 times
Where are the Amish on the poll? How about some of the Orthodox Jewish sects? I would say that these groups are about as unassimilated as you can get.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:27 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Where are the Amish on the poll? How about some of the Orthodox Jewish sects? I would say that these groups are about as unassimilated as you can get.
Those would be good options, but most of those (especially the former) are not immigrants.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:36 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Regardless of their nationality or ethnicity, Muslims who do not live in predominantly Muslim countries are the absolute worst when it comes to assimilation, and no other group of people is even in the same galaxy of non-assimilation as they are. It should be emphasized that proper assimilation involves much more than simply learning how to speak the language of the country you immigrate to. It also involves respecting the laws, customs, values and culture of the country you immigrate to, and many (most?) Muslims are openly, unapologetically and vehemently disrespectful of the laws, customs, values and culture of countries that are not predominantly Muslim. An increasing number are even violently disrespectful, as the steady increase in violent crime all over Europe in the last two decades (and especially this decade) has proven. Generally speaking, many (most?) Muslims believe that the laws of their Koran (Sharia law) take precedence over the laws of any country that is not predominantly Muslim, which is the primary reason why they do such a poor job of assimilating. It's willful disobedience. When in Rome, they refuse to do as the Romans do.
Sad, but painfully true in too many cases.

At the other end of the spectrum, nobody seems to assimilate better than the Filipinos -- natural free-marketers who can adapt themselves to just about anything, and have very little faith in Big Government (probably because the one they grew up under is so thoroughly, and regularly corrupted).

Old 04-11-2021, 01:37 PM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
They're also not "not assimilated", they seem like regular Americans to me as long as you're referring to US born ones.
Especially Cajuns, barely any of the young ones even speak French.
My general point is the people who “didn’t assimulate” are the people who moved to El Paso and didn’t learn Spanish or moved to Houma, LA and didn’t learn French nit the other way around.

Heck Texas is part of theUS because a bunch of American immigrants refused to assimilate to Mexican Culture.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:38 PM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Sad, but painfully true in too many cases.

At the other end of the spectrum, nobody seems to assimilate better than the Filipinos -- natural free-marketers who can adapt themselves to just about anything, and have very little faith in Big Government (probably because the one they grew up under is so thoroughly, and regularly corrupted).
Maybe a bit to due with the fact it was an American Colony.

Just like Muslims from SE Asia and India assimilate pretty well.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:57 PM

21,642 posts, read 12,800,939 times
This poll is comparing immigrants from eras 130+ years apart...

Old 04-11-2021, 03:56 PM

3,456 posts, read 3,382,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm shocked everyone is saying the Detroit area Arab community. Having been to the area a lot and been around in Dearborn, it always felt very nice and integrated. Upstanding community, open, lots of retail and commercial options in the area to draw people in. I don't see what people think is so isolated about it??

I would say from my perspective it would be Rio Grade Mexican community. Not much "American" integration going on there from my travels.
I once remember reading that some of those Mexican-Americans in south Texas had lived there, even before the US-Mexico border had been drawn to be along the Rio Grande River. I wonder if that's why some of those Mexicans hold on very much, to their cultural traditions? I have no idea about that, and of course can't comment too much about that since I hadn't traveled to the Rio Grande Valley area(i.e. McAllen, Brownsville, South Padre Island, etc) area of far south Texas before.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:14 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I know some people might find this question somewhat politically incorrect but I'm legitimately curious about what y'all think.

Taking into account things like language, customs, insularity of the community, what its like for someone outside this group to move in, etc.

I'm going to limit this to the US and not include cases like French Canada.
You know you're not white, right?

Old 04-11-2021, 05:10 PM

407 posts, read 342,655 times
In the Dallas area, the immigrants from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and China are the most unassimilated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.