Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most unassimilated immigrant community in America?
Miami Cubans 29 19.73%
Dearborn Arabs /Detroit area 51 34.69%
Rio Grande Valley Mexicans 25 17.01%
Southern California Mexicans 11 7.48%
San Francisco Chinese 17 11.56%
Boston Irish 2 1.36%
New Jersey Italians 2 1.36%
Louisiana French / Cajuns 3 2.04%
Upper Midwest Germans 3 2.04%
Hawaii Japanese 4 2.72%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 12:01 AM

992 posts, read 876,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
I can't believe the poll is missing the blatantly obvious.

I'll give a hint, these groups in the poll don't kill Americans nearly as much as the obvious one...
I suppose you're referring to while people and native Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 12:24 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondding View Post
You apparently have never lived in Miami.
I concur.
As an immigrant myself, I found it perplexing that there are 2nd generation Cubans especially in Hialeah - Doral areas that do not speak English at all.
When I was there, I ended up learning Spanish as my 3rd language to survive.

I went to international schools as a kid until before high school. I learned and spoke British English there.
When we migrated to Miami and I entered high school, I ended up adopting Spanglish accent.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:11 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
*ding* We have a winner! I agree, there's clearly a bias and a disconnect when not realizing how many varying Hispanic nationalities fail to assimilate across the board in many instances.
I live in New York, and have lived around Hispanics (of many different backgrounds) my whole life. I would certainly not say there is a "failure to assimilate". Of course, most immigrants keep to themselves and may or not speak English fluently (although most in my experience can), but their kids are fluent in English 100% of the time.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:38 AM

1,350 posts, read 884,069 times
Somalis

Old 04-04-2017, 06:46 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
*ding* We have a winner! I agree, there's clearly a bias and a disconnect when not realizing how many varying Hispanic nationalities fail to assimilate across the board in many instances.
I had a friend who was a fifth generation Mexican-American from El Paso. His Spanish fluency was so limited he was embarrassed to speak in front of people from Mexico. He said it was perfectly normal in El Paso growing up - no one of Mexican descent whose family had been here longer than 2-3 generations could speak much Spanish.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:30 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
This poll seems to speak to me more of a bias against Arab Americans than anything else. The Arab community here is so incredibly diverse that there's really no way for them to form a separate community. They are from different nations, backgrounds, beliefs. You have Catholics, Protestents, Greek Orthodox, Maronite, Sunni, Shia, Atheists, and they hail from Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, Yemen, Turkey...

What I'm getting at is that there is not really much of an established "Arab Community" so much as there are "Lots of Arab Americans living within the existing community." They work in every career field, interact freely with the existing community, and though they have concentrated some of their population in Dearborn and Hamtramck, they're probably one of the lesser segregated races in the area. Dearborn is probably only 35% Arab descent. Contrast that with some of the 95% Hispanic communities along the southern border and tell me Dearborn is less integrated.
I agree with this. I have no idea how Dearborn Arabs are winning this poll as the most unassimilated. People must have never actually been to the region and are voting based on the numbers/perception. As this poster points out, it's probably the largest middle eastern population in the country, but not all necessary Arab (very diverse ethnic groups). Having lived in that region, I honestly can say that as a whole it is probably one of the most assimilated middle eastern populations in the country. Many born in the US and are die hard Detroit sports fans. Many young professional aged were very active in basketball and soccer leagues I played in. Again, many born here, and they had classic southeast Michigan/ Detroit accents. Also they were very integrated in this whole region.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:00 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,465,786 times

Old 04-11-2021, 01:04 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Who the hell voted for the NJ and Boston answers lol... or Midwest one

Old 04-11-2021, 01:05 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree with this. I have no idea how Dearborn Arabs are winning this poll as the most unassimilated. People must have never actually been to the region and are voting based on the numbers/perception. As this poster points out, it's probably the largest middle eastern population in the country, but not all necessary Arab (very diverse ethnic groups). Having lived in that region, I honestly can say that as a whole it is probably one of the most assimilated middle eastern populations in the country. Many born in the US and are die hard Detroit sports fans. Many young professional aged were very active in basketball and soccer leagues I played in. Again, many born here, and they had classic southeast Michigan/ Detroit accents. Also they were very integrated in this whole region.
This site as a whole is not very informed about Detroit and surrounding areas.

I get the reasons behind it, but that's why it will always gets the shaft in these General U.S. and City vs. City threads.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:17 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Louisiana Cajuns and Rio Grand/Arizona”Mexicans” aren’t immigrants. Many were there before it was Aneruca. They didn’t cross the border, the border crossed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.