Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most unassimilated immigrant community in America?
Miami Cubans 29 19.73%
Dearborn Arabs /Detroit area 51 34.69%
Rio Grande Valley Mexicans 25 17.01%
Southern California Mexicans 11 7.48%
San Francisco Chinese 17 11.56%
Boston Irish 2 1.36%
New Jersey Italians 2 1.36%
Louisiana French / Cajuns 3 2.04%
Upper Midwest Germans 3 2.04%
Hawaii Japanese 4 2.72%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 10:20 AM

1,957 posts, read 2,309,729 times

Advertisements

Spanish-speaking only people who have lived In EL Paso all their lives and the other Aliens, The Pleiadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 10:28 AM

12,866 posts, read 9,611,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I never see anyone fly PRC flags. For that matter, I rarely see a lot of Asian flags in the US. I see a lot of Mexican and other Latin American flags though.
I don't really remember seeing any.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:33 AM

2,869 posts, read 2,184,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, it's befuddling. I grew up in south Texas. Anyone younger than 55 spoke English. did they also speak Spanish? Sure. They all love the Dallas Cowboys too. But I find multiculturalism to be a strength of America, not a drawback.
I met forty somethings at Terlingua who can only speak broken English. Can't tell if that's the norm though.

Is it fair to compare these guys to other first generation groups though? The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was signed over a hundred and fifty years ago.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:35 AM

2,869 posts, read 2,184,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Old country Italian and Polish gramma who doesn't speak English? Cute. Old country Vietnamese or Hispanic gramma who doesn't speak English? Trash that refuses to assimilate. Ever notice a lot of little Italy's will fly Italian flags? Ever see it in Chinatown? I haven't on the latter.
There's definitely a double standard going on here.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:45 AM

1,117 posts, read 752,224 times
Who assimilates anymore? The US doesn't really have a culture anyway. Might as well pick what's left of it apart.

Old 04-21-2021, 02:56 PM

14,038 posts, read 15,064,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I never see anyone fly PRC flags. For that matter, I rarely see a lot of Asian flags in the US. I see a lot of Mexican and other Latin American flags though.
Could it have to do with the fact a lot of Vietnamese, Cambodian and Chinese Immigrants are refugees. Like you’re not going to fly the PRC flag if you’re family came here to flee the Communist Army, or if you were South Vietnamese same thing.

You very much have them embrace other aspects of their culture. Like most Chinatown’s have Arch’s and Chinese style molding etc.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:06 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,612,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Could it have to do with the fact a lot of Vietnamese, Cambodian and Chinese Immigrants are refugees. Like you’re not going to fly the PRC flag if you’re family came here to flee the Communist Army, or if you were South Vietnamese same thing.

You very much have them embrace other aspects of their culture. Like most Chinatown’s have Arch’s and Chinese style molding etc.
Most Chinese immigrants aren't refugees.

And the newer Chinatowns don't really have that old school Chinese aesthetic, apparently they look more like modern China.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:14 PM

433 posts, read 533,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Regardless of their nationality or ethnicity, Muslims who do not live in predominantly Muslim countries are the absolute worst when it comes to assimilation, and no other group of people is even in the same galaxy of non-assimilation as they are. It should be emphasized that proper assimilation involves much more than simply learning how to speak the language of the country you immigrate to. It also involves respecting the laws, customs, values and culture of the country you immigrate to, and many (most?) Muslims are openly, unapologetically and vehemently disrespectful of the laws, customs, values and culture of countries that are not predominantly Muslim. An increasing number are even violently disrespectful, as the steady increase in violent crime all over Europe in the last two decades (and especially this decade) has proven. Generally speaking, many (most?) Muslims believe that the laws of their Koran (Sharia law) take precedence over the laws of any country that is not predominantly Muslim, which is the primary reason why they do such a poor job of assimilating. It's willful disobedience. When in Rome, they refuse to do as the Romans.
https://www.pewforum.org/2017/07/26/...and-community/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ddings/549230/

YMMV

Old 04-21-2021, 03:33 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,876,410 times
The Rio Grande Valley in Texas is dominated by Tejano culture, which is a US American culture. Just because it's not WASPs doesn't make it non-American. It's like Irish-Americans in Boston...the "American" part of that hyphenation is as meaningful as the Irish part, if not more so...they're not Irish even though they have Irish heritage and their culture is obviously Irish-influenced. It's become its own distinctive thing over time. Some families in the RGV can trace their local ancestry back to colonial times.

Pretty much everyone in the RGV speaks English and participates in American institutions. They just do it with a regional flair.

I lived there for years and if you speak Spanish and/or are actually familiar with actual Mexican culture, you won't mistake Tejanos for Mexicans for long. Obviously there's the kind of overlap that you get at a border that's moved around over time, and there's people who have multiple cultures or weren't born in the area, sure, but overall the differences are apparent.

I mean, mainline Texans are also often very distinctive, but we don't say they're not assimilated to America. Texas is part of America. It's a regional way of being American.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:44 AM

36 posts, read 19,537 times
I don't know about Detroit area Arabs but I voted Miami Cubans. I only imagine about Rio Grande Valley Mexicans but at least Mexicans in the southwestern States speak more English. Our founding fathers never made a law saying English is the United States's official language because it was taken for granted English would always be America's official language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.