Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Cities are Northeast?
Boston 145 92.36%
Providence 138 87.90%
Hartford 140 89.17%
New York City 140 89.17%
Philadelphia 125 79.62%
Pittsburgh 55 35.03%
Baltimore 81 51.59%
Washington D.C. 78 49.68%
Buffalo 62 39.49%
Cleveland 10 6.37%
Cincinnati 6 3.82%
Columbus 5 3.18%
Charleston, WV 6 3.82%
Seattle 4 2.55%
Other 7 4.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:49 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My older DD, Coloradan to the bone, laughed when I asked her if she thought Pgh was a midwestern city.
Yeah, everyone I ask from the Midwest just seems to laugh when asked if Pittsburgh is Midwestern--most concur that PGH is Eastern. However, those from Bos-Wash tend to be mixed. I've met many who think it ridiculous to call PGH anything but Eastern and others who seem to think PGH is in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 07:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Just to provide a bit of balance, my father told me when he was stationed in NYC during WWII, people there thought Pittsburgh was a midwestern city. But NYC is, well, different, in its perceptions of the rest of the US.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Just to provide a bit of balance, my father told me when he was stationed in NYC during WWII, people there thought Pittsburgh was a midwestern city. But NYC is, well, different, in its perceptions of the rest of the US.
I was in Bloomfield and Oakland last night, and it really struck me again how much Pittsburgh reminds me of Dickens's Victorian London in places (not that PGH compares in beauty). This is something that I've noticed before, but Pittsburgh just seems so much like an Eastern Victorian city, East Coast spliced with Appalachia.

By ainulindale (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/ainulindale - broken link), shot with C960Z,D460Z (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=C960Z%2CD460Z&make=OLYMPUS+OPT ICAL+CO.%2CLTD - broken link) at 2007-12-18

By ainulindale (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/ainulindale - broken link), shot with C960Z,D460Z (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=C960Z%2CD460Z&make=OLYMPUS+OPT ICAL+CO.%2CLTD - broken link) at 2007-12-14

Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,550 times
Quote:
I was once married to a guy from Rochester. There was no way in H*** he considered himself a midwesterner. Nor did any other member of his family. The were solid New York Yankees. I do not think the "pop/soda" issue is a good marker for midwest vs east. They say "soda" in Milwaukee as well as St. Louis. I am from Pittsburgh, but the rest of my family is not. My older DD, Coloradan to the bone, laughed when I asked her if she thought Pgh was a midwestern city. It's just too dang far away from here to be considered midwest.
I'd just like to respond by saying that you quoted me as saying:

"I'd argue that Rochester is not Northeastern. It's pretty similar to Buffalo, which is definitely not the Northeast. They're both in that Western NY/Western PA border area between the Northeast and Midwest."

I absolutely do not mean to denigrate Rochester or Buffalo or Pittsburgh (I live in the Midwest now, for crying out loud, and I've always thought Pittsburgh seemed pretty cool) but they are absolutely not the Northeast. Maybe they're not the Midwest, but....well, you get the idea.

'Course I think we are gonna have to agree to disagree, as this is really not the most consequential discussion of all-time . I simply wanted to make my position clear, as I did not quite say Rochester is the Midwest.

Oh, and point taken on the pop/soda thing.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I absolutely do not mean to denigrate Rochester or Buffalo or Pittsburgh (I live in the Midwest now, for crying out loud, and I've always thought Pittsburgh seemed pretty cool) but they are absolutely not the Northeast. Maybe they're not the Midwest, but....well, you get the idea.
I think I could show you some pictures that would change your mind.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Virginia the northeast? The capital of the confederacy? Nonsense. Maryland is also not the northeast.
The only part of Virginia that is the Northeast is the part within DC's metro area. The rest is clearly the South. As I said previously, regions cut across state lines.

And the confederacy ceased to exist over 140 years ago....Northern VA, and maybe even parts of Maryland, were largely Southern at one time. But in the context of 21st century America, they are the Northeast.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
The only part of Virginia that is the Northeast is the part within DC's metro area. The rest is clearly the South. As I said previously, regions cut across state lines.

And the confederacy ceased to exist over 140 years ago....Northern VA, and maybe even parts of Maryland, were largely Southern at one time. But in the context of 21st century America, they are the Northeast.
I agree. I used to think DC and Baltimore were the South. When I saw DC for the first time last summer it occurred to me that it was a perfect example of the Northeast in architecture, design, culture, busyness, density, walkability, etc.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
I'd just like to respond by saying that you quoted me as saying:

"I'd argue that Rochester is not Northeastern. It's pretty similar to Buffalo, which is definitely not the Northeast. They're both in that Western NY/Western PA border area between the Northeast and Midwest."

'Course I think we are gonna have to agree to disagree, as this is really not the most consequential discussion of all-time . I simply wanted to make my position clear, as I did not quite say Rochester is the Midwest.

Oh, and point taken on the pop/soda thing.
My apologies for making it appear as you said Rochester is the midwest. I stand by what I said about my ex and his family; they considered themselves easterners.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:39 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
I'd argue that Rochester is not Northeastern. It's pretty similar to Buffalo, which is definitely not the Northeast. They're both in that Western NY/Western PA border area between the Northeast and Midwest

I do know that they say soda in certain places in the Midwest, but I'm pretty sure most of the Midwest says "pop" and anyplace in the BosWash corridor says "soda." It's not the best geographical indicator, but such regional vocabulary differences are worth something.

To expand on an earlier post I'd say a complete definition of the Northeast includes the following:

The entire BosWash corridor (DC's Northern VA burbs to Boston's northern burbs)
The rest of New England
Lehigh Valley, NE Penn., and central PA to around Harrisburg or so
Hudson Valley NY, Catskills, Adirondacks, central NY to around the Finger Lakes region
All of Delaware and most of Maryland

This is just an approximation, but its pretty much what I'd consider the extent of the region called "The Northeast."
Interesting. Why do you include the Finger Lakes region in the NE? Where's the line along the Southern Tier? Is Binghamton NE? How about Elmira? Why is northern ME NE--it's so far away from the BosWash.

I guess my point is, your boundaries seem so arbitrary. How can there be a "border area" between NE & Midwest that no one else have ever heard of (or even named). I'm not buying it.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Interesting. Why do you include the Finger Lakes region in the NE? Where's the line along the Southern Tier? Is Binghamton NE? How about Elmira? Why is northern ME NE--it's so far away from the BosWash.

I guess my point is, your boundaries seem so arbitrary. How can there be a "border area" between NE & Midwest that no one else have ever heard of (or even named). I'm not buying it.
That whole thing was meant to be an approximation. It was an admittedly vague, off-the-top-of-my-head sort of thing. I didn't break out a map and start declaring particular counties or cities to be in the Northeast or not.

I think it makes perfect sense that there is an area where the Northeast and Midwest sort of mix. Seriously, its not as though you cross into Ohio, and WHAM, flat farmland populated by stout but attractive hearty blue-eyed folk. And ten minutes ago everyone's last name ended in a vowel or "-stein!" What the hell happened? ***

*** I realize I'm dealing in largely untrue stereotypes. I exaggerate to make a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.