Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 06:21 AM

1,351 posts, read 898,065 times

Advertisements

I've never met anyone who didn't think these states were part of any region other than the South. Both were slave states that were members of the Confederacy, and remain culturally Southern in their rural areas. I could see the DC suburbs part of Virginia feeling more akin to points north, but that's not the balance of the state.

I can't think of any part of North Carolina that's not Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 06:45 AM

186 posts, read 283,588 times
If you still hear a lot of people speak the local dialect, then it's still unmistakably "southern". If all you hear is "yankee" talk, then it is no longer truly southern despite geographically so.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:39 AM

811 posts, read 889,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crltn19 View Post
If you still hear a lot of people speak the local dialect, then it's still unmistakably "southern". If all you hear is "yankee" talk, then it is no longer truly southern despite geographically so.
So by this logic, is West Virginia, Southern Ohio, Southern indiana, and Southern Illinois Southern? These areas all talk with a southern accent.

Not saying I completely disagree, just curious of your opinion.

I will say that most mid-sized to large Southern cities are full of people from all over the country so you really don’t hear many traditional southern accents, but the culture and cities are still absolutely Southern. VA and NC are certainly Southern.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:25 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
Many years ago, I recall my mother and her sister (both born and raised in Richmond) talking about whether or not Virginia was in the South since both often heard of Virginia referred to as a Southern state. Neither felt that they lived in the "South" and had always considered Virginia to be a "mid-Atlantic state". I think they were unaware that each spoke with the beautiful southern accent found in central Virginia.
I have never heard of anyone from Richmond claiming Va. not being in the south. Everyone I ever knew from Richmond was very proud to be southern and if you said different you were in for a fight.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:42 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Why do people erroneously consider Virginia and North Carolina to not be in the South?

One word... Ignorance.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:50 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,637,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I have never heard of anyone from Richmond claiming Va. not being in the south. Everyone I ever knew from Richmond was very proud to be southern and if you said different you were in for a fight.
Lol this is entirely unbelievable, unless your Richmond experience was pre-1980s. Nobody in Rich is fighting anybody for claiming it isnt the South, and there are more than a few Richmonders who would take the position that it isn't...

You might want to revisit the city and be around modern locals, because you're way off base...

Old 07-24-2018, 03:47 AM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lol this is entirely unbelievable, unless your Richmond experience was pre-1980s. Nobody in Rich is fighting anybody for claiming it isnt the South, and there are more than a few Richmonders who would take the position that it isn't...

You might want to revisit the city and be around modern locals, because you're way off base...
If you don't think Richmond is in the South you're wrong full stop.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:22 AM

998 posts, read 1,250,626 times
He didn't say Richmond IS NOT in the south, he said no one is fighting over the fact that it is or isn't, I really don't think anyone in Richmond or the 95/64 corridor from NOVA to the Beach get all hot and heavy over the geographic location of the state. There are so many transplants in this region that it trends more East Coast than South.

Once and for all, geographically, urban Virginia IS IN the South. Mentally, urban Virginia doesn't hug the north or the south, it just is what it is, a true melting pot at the southern end of the East Coast megalopolis.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:26 AM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
He didn't say Richmond IS NOT in the south, he said no one is fighting over the fact that it is or isn't, I really don't think anyone in Richmond or the 95/64 corridor from NOVA to the Beach get all hot and heavy over the geographic location of the state. There are so many transplants in this region that it trends more East Coast than South.

Once and for all, geographically, urban Virginia IS IN the South. Mentally, urban Virginia doesn't hug the north or the south, it just is what it is, a true melting pot at the southern end of the East Coast megalopolis.
That's what some people think but it's not true. They say that because they'd rather be assisted with wealthy successful states like MA, NY, CT etc than MS, AL, AR.

But anyone can see in about 5 minutes of being in Richmond or Norfolk that is completely Southern.

Also he didn't mean literally punch you in the face he meant challenge you on the assertion.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:09 AM

1,023 posts, read 913,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That's what some people think but it's not true. They say that because they'd rather be assisted with wealthy successful states like MA, NY, CT etc than MS, AL, AR.

But anyone can see in about 5 minutes of being in Richmond or Norfolk that is completely Southern.

Also he didn't mean literally punch you in the face he meant challenge you on the assertion.
They are right. No one in Richmond really cares. Outsiders make it a point to have these discussions on what Richmond is or isn't, even going as far as telling locals that they know more about what Richmond is than them. The Confederate monuments never get mentioned here(unless you are into that sort of thing) and Richmond actually has a young mayor that is progressively moving to have those monuments removed. We just renamed a school as well. The funny thing about Richmond is, if you ask most black residents if the monuments should be removed or not, most of them say they don't care one way or the other. THAT is Richmond. People on this site care more about identifying what Richmond is than we do. Either way, on the ground, Richmond is a mixture of a lot of things. VA is successful enough in its own right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.