Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:29 AM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
They are right. No one in Richmond really cares. Outsiders make it a point to have these discussions on what Richmond is or isn't, even going as far as telling locals that they know more about what Richmond is than them. The Confederate monuments never get mentioned here(unless you are into that sort of thing) and Richmond actually has a young mayor that is progressively moving to have those monuments removed. We just renamed a school as well. The funny thing about Richmond is, if you ask most black residents if the monuments should be removed or not, most of them say they don't care one way or the other. THAT is Richmond. People on this site care more about identifying what Richmond is than we do. Either way, on the ground, Richmond is a mixture of a lot of things. VA is successful enough in its own right.
I could say Providence isn't New England but that doesn't make it true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 06:31 AM

1,023 posts, read 914,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I could say Providence isn't New England but that doesn't make it true.
You are arguing something that I made no mention of. One fish two fish, red fish blue fish.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:35 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,640,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
He didn't say Richmond IS NOT in the south, he said no one is fighting over the fact that it is or isn't, I really don't think anyone in Richmond or the 95/64 corridor from NOVA to the Beach get all hot and heavy over the geographic location of the state. There are so many transplants in this region that it trends more East Coast than South.

Once and for all, geographically, urban Virginia IS IN the South. Mentally, urban Virginia doesn't hug the north or the south, it just is what it is, a true melting pot at the southern end of the East Coast megalopolis.
Thank you, Poquoson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That's what some people think but it's not true. They say that because they'd rather be assisted with wealthy successful states like MA, NY, CT etc than MS, AL, AR.

But anyone can see in about 5 minutes of being in Richmond or Norfolk that is completely Southern.

Also he didn't mean literally punch you in the face he meant challenge you on the assertion.
Why would VA need an assist from anywhere else? Lmao... Why would VA have a preference for who it associates with? A really compelling argument, I guess I'll just have to take your word for it lol...

Quote:
They are right. No one in Richmond really cares. Outsiders make it a point to have these discussions on what Richmond is or isn't, even going as far as telling locals that they know more about what Richmond is than them. The Confederate monuments never get mentioned here(unless you are into that sort of thing) and Richmond actually has a young mayor that is progressively moving to have those monuments removed. We just renamed a school as well. The funny thing about Richmond is, if you ask most black residents if the monuments should be removed or not, most of them say they don't care one way or the other. THAT is Richmond. People on this site care more about identifying what Richmond is than we do. Either way, on the ground, Richmond is a mixture of a lot of things. VA is successful enough in its own right.
The bolded is so true it hurts...the robots on this website are hilarious...

Old 07-24-2018, 06:46 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Why is this so important to people? There seems to be an obsession about defining “The South†amongst some southerners.
There's also a palpable narrative on CD from Virginians that Virginia is not the South. I think that all of this silliness stems from the presumption (also here on CD) that "Southern" automatically means a whole host of negatives.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:49 AM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Thank you, Poquoson...

Why would VA need an assist from anywhere else? Lmao... Why would VA have a preference for who it associates with? A really compelling argument, I guess I'll just have to take your word for it lol...

The bolded is so true it hurts...the robots on this website are hilarious...
So you genuinely believe Richmond, VA isn't a Southern city?

Old 07-24-2018, 06:55 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,640,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There's also a palpable narrative on CD from Virginians that Virginia is not the South. I think that all of this silliness stems from the presumption (also here on CD) that "Southern" automatically means a whole host of negatives.
The only Virginian that has publicly dissociated VA from the South is NOVAguy, who believes NoVa is not in the South but the rest of VA is. Unless you know someone else, who is the other Virginian with the narrative that VA Is not in the South?

Old 07-24-2018, 06:56 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
They don't...

Old 07-24-2018, 07:04 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
Quote:
How long have you been in Richmond?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:07 AM

1,023 posts, read 914,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
How long have you been in Richmond?
About three years as an adult. I was raised in DC but my family has always been here.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:11 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,564,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can't really agree with that. NoVA doesn't have urban anchors like Newark and Jersey City, the built environments of both regions are TOTALLY different, northern NJ is much more socioeconomically diverse than NoVA (there's a palpable blue collar presence in wide swaths of northern NJ), there's no urban decay to speak of in NoVA, the Black population is a bit negligible in NoVA compared to northern NJ, etc. Those are enough significant differences that preclude anyone from saying the emboldened IMO.

To me, NoVA is the New South on steroids.
I agree with you on this and I was raised in NoVa. It does have a lot of characteristics of upper middle-class Jersey, but there are still plenty of people with cultural ties to the south that were born and raised in NoVA. A lot of younger people and transplants in NoVA want to disassociate themselves from the South as they see that as being a bad thing apparently. I don't know if they think they'll be labeled a racist, stupid, etc. Who knows, but I do know it takes on a negative connotation for many younger and new residents of NoVA. I've been seeing that to a certain extent in pockets of the Raleigh area as well, but nowhere near what I've seen and experienced in NoVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.