Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 12:49 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I've never met anyone who didn't think these states were part of any region other than the South. Both were slave states that were members of the Confederacy, and remain culturally Southern in their rural areas. I could see the DC suburbs part of Virginia feeling more akin to points north, but that's not the balance of the state.

I can't think of any part of North Carolina that's not Southern.
From an urban development standpoint, sure. But places like Cary, NC have long been overrun by transplants. Many parts of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill have lost a ton of southern identity (people/culture), you'd never know it was the South until you go just a bit further into God's country. And Chapel Hill/Carrboro? You might as well be in Madison, WI.

And it depends on where you are in VA. Tidewater is an anomaly because of the enormous military presence so many of it's southern characteristics are bit of a mix of things, however, rural areas outside of Tidewater, Richmond or Central VA are definitely southern. Richmond still holds onto its southern roots but has always been heavily influenced by DC/Baltimore. Architecturally it looks like Baltimore, but very much a native-son city that hasn't been overrun by northerners like RDU, so you'll still hear some of the VA southern drawl throughout the metro, just like Raleigh Durham (heavier accent).

I think the biggest cultural transitions have occurred in metro areas like Charlotte and Raleigh over the past few decades. After all, the old saying is what's in between Pittsburgh and Philly? Basically Alabama. Once you hit the rural areas the mentality is very similar in most parts of the country, just different accents.

And accents tend to change on I-95 south of Fredericksburg and on HWY 29 somewhere between Gainesville, VA and Charlottesville (much like Chapel Hill, an isolated situation). Come to think of it, you might have to travel a bit more down HWY 29 till you get near Lynchburgh.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 07-24-2018 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:54 PM

467 posts, read 428,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
From an urban development standpoint, sure. But places like Cary, NC have long been overrun by transplants. Many parts of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill have lost a ton of southern identity (people/culture), you'd never know it was the South until you go out just a bit further into God's country. And Chapel Hill/Carrboro? You might as well be in Madison, WI.
As unfortunate as it is, you're absolutely correct. But perhaps its better that transplants all stick together in a place like Cary if they don't want to assimilate into Southern culture. I, for one, have no objections to this. Hopefully ITB Raleigh can maintain what charm it has left.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:12 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
So! it is still Texas is it not? Um...I live in El Paso but I don't consider myself a Texan. Well, that is kind of dumb.
Texan yes, but east Texas is often considered the deep south. Do you consider Amarillo or El Paso that? Yeah, it's all Texas, but El Paso is not the deep south. There are different micro cultures. For example, most of Florida is very southern, but I would not consider Miami southern. Is it a part of Florida? Duh, no *****, of course it is, but to me it's not the south.

NOVA is very different than most of Virginia. We're not asking if Arlington residents consider themselves Virginians. Do they consider themselves southerners? Probably not.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:20 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Texan yes, but east Texas is often considered the deep south. Do you consider Amarillo or El Paso that? Yeah, it's all Texas, but El Paso is not the deep south. There are different micro cultures. For example, most of Florida is very southern, but I would not consider Miami southern. Is it a part of Florida? Duh, no *****, of course it is, but to me it's not the south.

NOVA is very different than most of Virginia. We're not asking if Arlington residents consider themselves Virginians. Do they consider themselves southerners? Probably not.

Well, like I said everyone has an opinion and that is fine, but it does not make it right or change facts.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:27 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Virginia has removed the 2nd most amount of confederate statues or monuments in recent years after Texas. But still leads with having the most overall statues or monuments of course, because it was far in the lead due to being the capital of the confederacy.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texa...te-report-says

Old 07-24-2018, 01:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Virginia has removed the 2nd most amount of confederate statues or monuments in recent years after Texas. But still leads with having the most overall statues or monuments of course, because it was far in the lead due to being the capital of the confederacy.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texa...te-report-says
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/05/us/co...rnd/index.html

Pretty clear where the red begins.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people erroneously consider Virginia and North Carolina to not be in the South?-confederate-monuments.jpg  

Old 07-24-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Well, like I said everyone has an opinion and that is fine, but it does not make it right or change facts.
Which part is fact?

Old 07-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the share.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:48 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:

And that's a fact!!!

Old 07-24-2018, 04:22 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,563,582 times
My opinion, there's an ongoing (cultural Marxist) movement to eradicate the South. Part of that effort is continuously moving the goal posts (severing Maryland from the South, then Virginia, North Carolina, so on, etc..). I believe, the South is resented (by Leftists and cultural-Marxists) because of its disproportionately Conservative value system. Cultural Marxists aspire to shrink the physical & cultural South, so the South's ideas will also shrink (& eventually disappear).

VA & NC are both within the physical, historical, & cultural South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.