Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2018, 02:54 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times

Advertisements

Hot and dry in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter + lovely mountains only a stone's throw away. As a retiree that loves to hike and feels at home in solitary places, I'd pick somewhere in NE Oregon near the Willowa Mts.

I guess I am an exception, but I lived in Eastern Washington for 13 years and in Portland for 1, frequently visited the PNW coast and all of the "Inland Empire", and eventually fell in love with the Blue Mountains and the Willowas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 11:27 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
As a person of color ,Ill take living in the South ANY-DAY a thousand times over than living in the PNW because I feel like im apart f the community and growth as I see people who look like me in every aspect of society.And teh amount people of African descent of all nationalities would suggest that something must exist in the South for so many to move here than other places
It might just be economics. The South is affordable, and there are jobs.

The thing about the Pacific NW is that almost nobody cares what your color is, for better and for worse. You can truly be whoever the heck you want to be, and not feel the invisible pressure to conform to stereotypes, nor the need to isolate yourself in a community.

Some people find ^that to be refreshing, myself included.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:37 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
It might just be economics. The South is affordable, and there are jobs.

The thing about the Pacific NW is that almost nobody cares what your color is, for better and for worse. You can truly be whoever the heck you want to be, and not feel the invisible pressure to conform to stereotypes, nor the need to isolate yourself in a community.

Some people find ^that to be refreshing, myself included.
As someone who lives in a part of the South, that is bot exclusive to the Northwest.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:06 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
Quote:
i should have dropped out long ago but my curiosity as to why so much animosity led me to carry on. Finnally had enough as it was just too much negative energy to deal with certain posters.

Its just over blown anyway.Most people live in cities now and its very seldom these types of questions happen and when they do,it not meant to be insulting but inviting or a way to get to know people.
Anytime you take your sensibilities to another region you learn to adapt.
Its rude to go to another region and do things in a manner not common in that region.Its like the "ugly American" tourist.

Religion is one of the reasons people are so much friendlier in the South.Its something brought up over and over again by people I meet from all over the world in the SE.
Only people who find this off putting are those who thinks everyone has ulterior motives.
Religion in the South is tied to civility in which "manners" or etiquette if you will, are very important in Southern culture.
"Love thy Neighbor"
I have broken down in the middle of Jackson MS when I was in my 20's with very little money and people fed me,helped fixed my car and even gave me rides back and forth from mechanic to the hotel where I was staying. Im talking complete strangers both black and white.

So while in some cases it can be intrusive depending on the person,its just a way to familiarize themselves with someone they are trying to know more about.
It really stupid to get offended at such a basic question if indeed one is asked .Its no different than someone asking where you went to high school or college.
Most people dont go beyond where you go.I mean they dont then asked how much do you pray or start quoting Bible versus

These people complaining are doing nothing but judging.Many of you all have very little knowledge of the South other than TV or what others say who know little themselves.

As a person of color ,Ill take living in the South ANY-DAY a thousand times over than living in the PNW because I feel like im apart f the community and growth as I see people who look like me in every aspect of society.And teh amount people of African descent of all nationalities would suggest that something must exist in the South for so many to move here than other places

I'm not sure I'm following your post here. On one hand you point out the exaggeration and how overblown the sentiment is that religion in the south still holds a very high place in what is valued and everyday life.
But then you go on and launch this staunch defense of religion in the south and even equate it as the reason the south is more friendly than the rest of the country.

But what troubles me most is this statement:

Its rude to go to another region and do things in a manner not common in that region.Its like the "ugly American" tourist.

Are you saying if one is not very religious and moves to the south he/she would be "rude" cause they would do things in a way not common to the region. Also why would that as point entirely be rude, unless one breaks a law or otherwise breaks common decency?

Perhaps I misunderstood your entire post but the way I read it actually only validates most of the stereotypes about the deeply conservative and religious nature of the south or "bible-belt".

Old 11-25-2018, 05:12 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
The South is the fastest growing region.Period.It will continue to do so for the foreseeable future and beyond.
The conservaive nature of many of the states like Virginia,Georgia,North Carolina and yes Florida(mainly Norhern),have already began to be far less conservative.
Atlanta in particular hasnt been conservative in 40 years or so.Miami used to be very Catholic leaning but no more .
Charlotte and Nashville while not like the others still are not bastions of religion.

Its quite interesting to me how so many people in this forum have used religion to justify not wanting to be near people who have religious principles.
Unless you are living in a very small city no one is going to bother you about religion.Even then its not a given.This is totally an overblown exaggeration but it matters little as I said before there are enough people who prefer the Southeast than the PNW in real life rather than here own CD
Some of my extended family moved from Bellvevue WA 25 years ago as even then it was too expensive.They raised there kids here and they never looked backed.They dd love it for the beauty but that simply wasnt enough.
If you look at growth % the fastest growing region is the West with Idaho, Nevada, Utah Washington and Arizona the fastest growing states. In raw numbers maybe the South is the fastest growing..especially with Florida and Texas.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:49 PM

58 posts, read 79,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
PNW, but by a sliver.

The overall climate quality of both areas are equal in my opinion - cloudy most of the year in the PNW vs hot humid summers in the SE.

Economic opportunities may abound more in the SE but Seattle is one of the biggest hubs for Machine Learning and Data Science jobs, my area of work although Atlanta is also getting there. The SE still wins in COL but I find my personality more compatible with urban PNW culture.
The climate quality is definitely not equal. Even though it's cloudy it's still not humid, which is what makes being outside unbearable.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:50 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStat View Post
The climate quality is definitely not equal. Even though it's cloudy it's still not humid, which is what makes being outside unbearable.
I think it is safe to assume that ragnarkar mean't in his or her opinion for his or her preference, while your post is in your opinion for your preference..

Old 11-25-2018, 09:52 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStat View Post
Atlanta is 1,000 feet plus above sea level. The humidity here isn't remotely like the Coastal South, and we get multiple breaks every Summer with cooler air 'wedges' that settle over the southern Appalachians.

It's very comfortable here the majority of the year.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:15 PM

923 posts, read 665,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
I'm not sure I'm following your post here. On one hand you point out the exaggeration and how overblown the sentiment is that religion in the south still holds a very high place in what is valued and everyday life.
But then you go on and launch this staunch defense of religion in the south and even equate it as the reason the south is more friendly than the rest of the country.

But what troubles me most is this statement:

Are you saying if one is not very religious and moves to the south he/she would be "rude" cause they would do things in a way not common to the region. Also why would that as point entirely be rude, unless one breaks a law or otherwise breaks common decency?

Perhaps I misunderstood your entire post but the way I read it actually only validates most of the stereotypes about the deeply conservative and religious nature of the south or "bible-belt".
As I stated before,I am a product of the South.I grew up with Church being very important in my life and that of my family.
I am no longer religious but consider myself spiritual.I live my life among good people.Not black but people.
That said as a black male I believe religion was and is to a lesser extent .key to African American existence.
So much of what we have today is due to the social structure of church in the black community.

No I never said its rude to accept any disrespect to individual freedom of religion or from religion.
I was referring to posters who were saying that's what they hate about the South when asked.Its been made abundantly clear that its not apart of PNW culture but if you are in the South,why get offended if you know this is just apart of the culture in the South?Or why think it was anything more than just someone being friendly?

Its also rude not to speak to someone when you enter a room.Its rude to not hold a door open for person behind you.
Its rude not address elders as Mr or Mrs or Mam or Sir.
All these things are common mainly on the South.Its no law but more of a lack of social norms or graces.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:20 PM

923 posts, read 665,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Atlanta is 1,000 feet plus above sea level. The humidity here isn't remotely like the Coastal South, and we get multiple breaks every Summer with cooler air 'wedges' that settle over the southern Appalachians.

It's very comfortable here the majority of the year.
Its amazing to me these generalizations.It gets hotter and humid many times as much in Chicago than cities like Atlanta or Charlotte.Even then late August to November is really great weather,

the hottest parts of Summer is mainly June ,July and a part of August
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.