Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 04:49 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Lol.
Explain please
Theres nothing to explain. DC isnt Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 09:01 PM

923 posts, read 665,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Theres nothing to explain. DC isnt Southern.
So its not on the Southeastern United States?
Why does the Census say so?

Old 11-16-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
So its not on the Southeastern United States?
Why does the Census say so?
Go ask them. Usually theres a "contact us" link on their webpage. Last I checked there is no Southeast region according to the census but you should ask. Let us know what you find out.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:12 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
The PNW forever, for me.

There is very little I find desirable about the south. Its characteristics are almost a categorical opposite to my preferences. I don’t like bugs, sweet tea, religion, humidity, heat, swamps, hurricanes, tornadoes, conservative culture, flooding, or sprawling cities. The few enclaves I would remotely consider would be New Orleans, Savannah or Charleston, all very hurricane-prone, and buggy/humid. It’s just not my cup of tea, at all. Sure, I could tolerate, and maybe even enjoy, one of those three cities for a few years, but I wouldn’t spend too many of my remaining days there. The rest of that region is out of the question.The PNW is just a better fit for me, for too many reasons to count.

One other exception may be Asheville, but it’s so different than your garden variety southeast city.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:23 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
PNW. The Southeast's climate, physical and otherwise, does not appeal to me. I have moved to the right politically, on some issues, but I am not religious and basically culturally liberal, whether I like it or not.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:26 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
You don't have to be religious to live in the south. I don't understand where this notion comes from that everybody in the south is religious.

There's no requirement you drink sweet tea. It is only an option on menus at restaurants.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:36 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
You don't have to be religious to live in the south. I don't understand where this notion comes from that everybody in the south is religious.

There's no requirement you drink sweet tea. It is only an option on menus at restaurants.
It’s more an issue of it being the dominant culture. I know, in large cities not so much the case. But as a whole, it is the dominant culture.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:41 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
@ClemVegas: You were not addressing me specifically, but I'm from the Philadelphia area, and not used to a cultural environment which is so religious. And on the other hand, as an apostate Methodist preacher's kid, the whole subject is touchy after having been nagged by family members to return to the flock, and after having siblings shove their beliefs in my face at family get-togethers, etc.

On a positive note, I think I would like the mix of architecture in the South more. There is more historically interesting architecture there.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:41 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
I'm currently living in a small town in SC and I never hear anybody talk about religion outside of a religious radio station.

I can't even remember the last time I went to church.

I don't understand how some people being religious and going to church dominates the people who aren't religious and don't go to church.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I'm currently living in a small town in SC and I never hear anybody talk about religion.

I can't even remember the last time I went to church.

I don't understand how some people being religious and going to church dominates the people who aren't religious and don't go to church.
That's all fine and dandy but clearly it's not the same experience for everyone. Even when I lived in Atlanta, I remember being asked about church pretty frequently and random talks of prayers etc.. and how so many conversations would involve God this or bless that. Noone was pushy or rude about it but it was definitely a presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.