Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2018, 12:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

My observation from having lived in both the PNW and the Midwest. There is definitely intolerance in both. It just manifests itself differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 12:46 PM

628 posts, read 818,273 times
Southern cities are generally more segregated than PNW and the bad parts of town are REALLY bad. You just can't compare the the neighborhoods of South Dallas, or North Charlotte to North or SE Portland and South Seattle.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I live in the PNW. I really like it here. I would never, ever live in the South.

Nor would I go back to The Midwest.

In many ways, I feel as if I’ve found my true home. If you can find a spot that feels that way to you, you should live there if you can.

I am not philosophically at home in the South.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:43 PM

628 posts, read 818,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Pacific Northwest. I don't know why, but Seattle, which I used to visit on month long vacations annually, qlways gave me a very Texas/DFW vibe.
This is the most unusual comparison I've ever heard! This is like comparing Alaska to Hawaii.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:31 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
Climate wise I'm not sure either region wins. Much of the PNW is overcast and drizzle for 6 months vs the Southeast's 6 months of hot and humid weather.

Also the COL argument is starting to not hold up anymore. Good areas in Nashville and Atlanta are getting becoming nearly the same price as good areas in the PNW (excluding Seattle Proper). Also much of the South's housing stock is cheap tract homes or older decrepit homes; many of which are in either bad crime and school districts. That just brings the median cost of homes way down.
I don't think this is true.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:05 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
At least the Pacific Northwest has two decently urban cities: Seattle and Portland. The Southeast doesn't have any cities that have a good urban form. I could easily see myself living in South Lake Union or Capitol Hill than in the suburban cities of the Southeast. The conservatism of the South is also a HUGE turn-off.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:53 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
This is the most unusual comparison I've ever heard! This is like comparing Alaska to Hawaii.
As I mentioned, it might be because of the suburban parts of the metros I have spent years in, cumulatively since I was very young. People in both come off as very genuinely kind, honest, tolerant and accepting, and considerate. Some may say this is how suburban life is everywhere, but it is different from what I have experienced in suburban parts of LA, the Bay Area, and Boston, among many other metros which I don't feel I have spent enough time in to make a strong judgment on in this regard. Not to say people there are worse, just different with seemingly different priorities and overall attitudes.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
What does Christmas have to do with religion? It's only slightly more religious than New Year's. For example it's the biggest holiday of the year to me. I don't care if people say merry Christmas, though happy holidays is obviously easier.

This is a great thread...the defenders of the South are arguing against each other. It's not different! It's ok to be different!

As for that assumption of christianity, it's not true in my blue Northwest city. And that's what I'm talking about. .
Are you Christian? Because I'm not and just as many people assumed I was when I lived in the PNW as anyplace in the Midwest. I got the same, "What are you doing for Christmas?"
"What did you get for Christmas? " "Are you going back East to see your family for Christmas?"

People in this country are predominately Christian. Most assume everyone is Christian without giving it a second thought. This happens everywhere. I was even asked not what church did I go to when I lived in Portland but I can remember a couple of times when I was asked if I go to church.

But what's the big deal? I never thought anything of it in either region.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:40 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Did you miss the part about Christmas not being a religious holiday?

Old 11-14-2018, 09:48 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,264,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good point! I also prefer to live where I can be active outdoors in the summer, rather than having to hide out indoors with the A/C. But there may be pockets in the SE, up in the mountains, that don't get so hot, IDK. Still, in the NW, you can have a good climate AND be on the coast, within easy proximity of water sports, beach walks, etc., AND be close to the mountains, too, for hiking.
But the South has warmer waters to make those water activities more enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.