Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 11:34 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times

Advertisements

Seattle politics have definitely gone nutty on the left end lately. Thankfully the most recent general election moved things toward the moderate left, though the worst offender wasn't up for reelection unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 02:27 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Yellowhammer View Post
As someone who grew up in Alabama and has spent the last decade in WA, I'm going to disagree. Specifically with "live-let-live is more widespread in the South than in PNW". You used Seattle and Portland in every example. That's like forming your argument against the SE on Atlanta, New Orleans, and Houston.

"Live and let live" is a pretty core ethos in the PNW, outside of the aforementioned cities and a few college towns.
Seattle and Portland aren't "live and let live". They have no tolerance for (and often an open hostility towards) views that are different from liberal ideology.

The interior Northwest is more live and let live. Yes it is conservative but it is not pushed on you. Nobody cares what you think about politics, religion or anything else. People here generally don't have an interest in learning anything about you. You will be ignored. It can be kind of isolating but it is definitely "live and let live".

Old 11-22-2018, 09:58 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Im just saying there are traces of Southern identity in DC.That does not equal to it being Southern.I only said DC is in the South and you vehemently objected .I think there is room in the middle.
This popped up on my feed and thought it was entertaining hehe
https://youtu.be/VIrj9KHLrYw

Old 11-22-2018, 10:00 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Im just saying there are traces of Southern identity in DC.That does not equal to it being Southern.I only said DC is in the South and you vehemently objected .I think there is room in the middle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
As a person of color and native of the Northeast, the Southeast is way more appealing to me than the PNW. More amenities, better suited for my career, close to home, direct flights to places I frequent, similar/same culture, etc.

This is interesting. Is that dark blue metro in the NE, Philadelphia?
Yes.. that's Philly.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Yes.. that's Philly.
It's probably Scranton-Wilkes Barre actually.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:18 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

PNW. Better scenery and weather. The cities are more urban and the wilderness is more wild. I also don't like the protestanty, baptisty culture that you get in the south. Oh, also better beer and more of it.
That's kind of funny from where I sit, because I can have most of that . . . in the south.

Right now, I'm in the mountains of North Georgia and my summer high temperatures average in the mid-80s.

However, I plan to move to a higher altitude town in the North Carolina mountains - 3,500 to 4,000 altitude in the town itself - with higher peaks around. My summer highs in that town will be in the 70s. Very wild wilderness in the only temperate rain forest in the east and over 200 waterfalls. Lakes. Fabulous restaurants in the town since it's a second home enclave of movers and shakers. Asheville will be about an hour away and was designated "Beer City" for all the beer made there.

No one bothers me about religion.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:08 PM

37 posts, read 43,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Seattle and Portland aren't "live and let live".
I guess you missed where I said "Live and let live is a pretty core ethos in the PNW, outside of the aforementioned cities". Seattle and Portland where the "aforementioned cities".

Old 11-22-2018, 11:24 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Yellowhammer View Post
I guess you missed where I said "Live and let live is a pretty core ethos in the PNW, outside of the aforementioned cities". Seattle and Portland where the "aforementioned cities".
I figured that out after shortly after I posted but it was too late. Oh well look at my post as confirmation of what you were saying.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:34 AM

923 posts, read 665,413 times
The South is the fastest growing region.Period.It will continue to do so for the foreseeable future and beyond.
The conservaive nature of many of the states like Virginia,Georgia,North Carolina and yes Florida(mainly Norhern),have already began to be far less conservative.
Atlanta in particular hasnt been conservative in 40 years or so.Miami used to be very Catholic leaning but no more .
Charlotte and Nashville while not like the others still are not bastions of religion.

Its quite interesting to me how so many people in this forum have used religion to justify not wanting to be near people who have religious principles.
Unless you are living in a very small city no one is going to bother you about religion.Even then its not a given.This is totally an overblown exaggeration but it matters little as I said before there are enough people who prefer the Southeast than the PNW in real life rather than here own CD
Some of my extended family moved from Bellvevue WA 25 years ago as even then it was too expensive.They raised there kids here and they never looked backed.They dd love it for the beauty but that simply wasnt enough.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:50 AM

923 posts, read 665,413 times
i should have dropped out long ago but my curiosity as to why so much animosity led me to carry on. Finnally had enough as it was just too much negative energy to deal with certain posters.

Its just over blown anyway.Most people live in cities now and its very seldom these types of questions happen and when they do,it not meant to be insulting but inviting or a way to get to know people.
Anytime you take your sensibilities to another region you learn to adapt.
Its rude to go to another region and do things in a manner not common in that region.Its like the "ugly American" tourist.

Religion is one of the reasons people are so much friendlier in the South.Its something brought up over and over again by people I meet from all over the world in the SE.
Only people who find this off putting are those who thinks everyone has ulterior motives.
Religion in the South is tied to civility in which "manners" or etiquette if you will, are very important in Southern culture.
"Love thy Neighbor"
I have broken down in the middle of Jackson MS when I was in my 20's with very little money and people fed me,helped fixed my car and even gave me rides back and forth from mechanic to the hotel where I was staying. Im talking complete strangers both black and white.

So while in some cases it can be intrusive depending on the person,its just a way to familiarize themselves with someone they are trying to know more about.
It really stupid to get offended at such a basic question if indeed one is asked .Its no different than someone asking where you went to high school or college.
Most people dont go beyond where you go.I mean they dont then asked how much do you pray or start quoting Bible versus

These people complaining are doing nothing but judging.Many of you all have very little knowledge of the South other than TV or what others say who know little themselves.

As a person of color ,Ill take living in the South ANY-DAY a thousand times over than living in the PNW because I feel like im apart f the community and growth as I see people who look like me in every aspect of society.And teh amount people of African descent of all nationalities would suggest that something must exist in the South for so many to move here than other places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.