Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 10:17 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,409,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
What does that have to do with any of this? Are you deflecting? Times change and people change and it's all past history now. Thanks to a federal law.
Yes my point is you are making case south is much more religious but even in blue states like CA and MA , a majority of voters voted down gay marriage and then it went to their state supreme courts.

Do you think the pro-life position on abortion is religious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 10:19 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,699,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Yes my point is you are making case south is much more religious but even in blue states like CA and MA , a majority of voters voted down gay marriage and then it went to their state supreme courts.
You're deflecting.. I presented data showcasing that the South is indeed more religious so logically it makes sense that alot of forumers are stating religion as a reason they prefer PNW. It ends there bc now you're grasping at straws.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
You're deflecting.. I presented data showcasing that the South is indeed more religious so logically it makes sense that alot of forumers are stating religion as a reason they prefer PNW. It ends there bc now you're grasping at straws.
I don't understand how pointing out blue states voted against gay marriage is deflecting.

I think the main reason some people on this forum are often talking about the south and religion are the gay marriage and abortion issues.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't understand how pointing out blue states voted against gay marriage is deflecting.
Yawn....

Old 11-16-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Yawn....
It has always been interesting to me how people with your politics kind of ignore that fact.

Right off the top of my head I don't recall anybody asking me if I go to church other than a few people in downtown Greenville that were passing out pamphlets to their church. I don't have a problem talking to people about religion. I typically ask them some tough religious questions and they seem to like that.

It would be incredible to me if a person moved to the south and couldn't meet numerous non religious people and/or liberals, and regardless the size of the town.

I went to Clemson in the late 90s and I remember being ridiculed by beautiful young ladies for my pro-life stance and yet Clemson is often classified as a very conservative college.

I worked at the small company of about 9 employees in 2006 in Greenville and all of them were liberals except me and the office manager, and they would gang up on us.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-16-2018 at 10:37 PM..

Old 11-17-2018, 08:24 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,686,133 times
Quote:
Sorry but I'm from the area and have never heard of anyone claiming to be Southern. In todays terms the culture, accents, local cuisine, urban layout, voting patterns, sweet tea line etc... none of them point to it being Southern. You can choose to go off old arbitrary delineations if you want but NO. The locals disagree with you.
The sweet tea line is south of Richmond and Tidewater. This line isn’t new either, the urban crescent of VA was never a sweet tea area.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
The sweet tea line is south of Richmond and Tidewater. This line isn’t new either, the urban crescent of VA was never a sweet tea area.
why don't you go ask all of the Southerners in the "Southern city tiers" thread why none of them is including DC?

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-tiers-38.html

Old 11-17-2018, 11:25 AM

923 posts, read 666,057 times
Quote:
Go ask them. Usually theres a "contact us" link on their webpage. Last I checked there is no Southeast region according to the census but you should ask. Let us know what you find out.
I asking because this comes up time and time agian but in most regin designatins,D.C. is n the Southern or Southeastern region.

I said nothing about culture,only geographic designation.
Now I could understand if we were talking culture but we are not.

Its strange how sometimes its called the Mid Atlantic region which includes Virginia,DC,Maryland, and Delaware.

Most people would not deny Virginia is in the South.Maryland DC and Delaware is where there is much division begins.
Either way its just not a logical argument to exclude D.C. as they were literally carved out of Virginia and Maryland.
So how can you be so insistent without any other supporting evidence other than you just ranting on against it based on your own prejudices?

Old 11-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
I asking because this comes up time and time agian but in most regin designatins,D.C. is n the Southern or Southeastern region.

I said nothing about culture,only geographic designation.
Now I could understand if we were talking culture but we are not.

Its strange how sometimes its called the Mid Atlantic region which includes Virginia,DC,Maryland, and Delaware.

Most people would not deny Virginia is in the South.Maryland DC and Delaware is where there is much division begins.
Either way its just not a logical argument to exclude D.C. as they were literally carved out of Virginia and Maryland.
So how can you be so insistent without any other supporting evidence other than you just ranting on against it based on your own prejudices?
My original comment regarding DC not being Southern was in relation to it's culture.
Quote:
Sorry but I'm from the area and have never heard of anyone claiming to be Southern. In todays terms the culture, accents, local cuisine, urban layout, voting patterns, sweet tea line etc... none of them point to it being Southern. You can choose to go off old arbitrary delineations if you want but NO. The locals disagree with you.
Also, geographically DC is above the midline of the East Coast. Also, you'll notice that anyone that claims DC to be Southern is never actually from DC.. look at the national weather or news and you'll notice DC never gets lumped on with the south or southeast it's always about heavy rain etc.. in the midatlantic or northeast.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:47 AM

923 posts, read 666,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
What does Christmas have to do with religion? It's only slightly more religious than New Year's. For example it's the biggest holiday of the year to me. I don't care if people say merry Christmas, though happy holidays is obviously easier.

This is a great thread...the defenders of the South are arguing against each other. It's not different! It's ok to be different!

As for that assumption of christianity, it's not true in my blue Northwest city. And that's what I'm talking about.
Only when another religion like Islam is threatening do you see how "Christian" they are in the PNW.
People may not talk about religion as much but there views about other religions is as bad or worse than anywhere lese n the South.
This notion that just because no one ask you where you go to church means that there is more tolerance is ridiculous.
Liberal and conservative are just alike when they want to control their narratives.They intimidate,shame,and harass people who dont see the way they do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.