Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 09:49 PM

481 posts, read 422,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypartyparty View Post
Age 21-29

Miami is 1.01
LA - 1.04
SD - 1.16 (Damn wtf... I this was a choice)
NYC - 0.93
CHI - .97

Well it looks like CHI and NYC are the only ones.

That being said, Tampa is looking alright. Is it big enough though?
You're an outgoing extrovert making bank with a lot of freedom. Besides SD, don't overthink it. Fellas like me have to worry about gender ratios lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 11:03 PM

57 posts, read 44,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
I would consider Atlanta.. It was ranked the best city for singles 2 times in the last 5 years. >140k will fetch you a decent lifestyle there.. There are plenty of fish in the pond and the weather is bearable compared to Chicago or NY most of the winter..

If you have the flexibility of living outside US, I would highly recommend looking at Spain, Portugal, Thailand, Colombia, Brazil, India etc. Your salary will go a long way there and once you start making friends there, you will have a vibrant social life there.. Life in the US is mostly geared towards work and family and the social part of the life is pretty much non-existent after college. I worked remotely for several years and life was miserable and I really missed that social interaction. I relocated to India after a couple of years as my company had a development center there. I was still working remotely there but was able to go out and make a lot of friends and loved the experience. Made a lot of friends, dated several women, most of Asia was within a couple of hours of flight so I travelled all over Asia - India, Nepal, Himalayas, Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand, China etc. Had to comeback after a couple of years for other reasons, but I highly recommend it to anyone young and single with the opportunity to work remotely. The pace of life is quite laid back in these countries and you will have the opportunity to experience other ways of living, cultures and cuisines. Honestly it was a very enlightening experience for me.
I've been doing the digital nomad / traveling the world thing and it's hard to date. Girls often write me off when I tell them I'm only here temporary. It would be nice to do with a girl. I still have much of Europe and Asia to visit.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:19 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
You're an outgoing extrovert making bank with a lot of freedom. Besides SD, don't overthink it. Fellas like me have to worry about gender ratios lmao
I'm a single woman in this demographic and the last thing I worry about is if I'm going to find a man in my city. Except maybe if I ever moved to DC where there is an extreme imbalance. I know I'm a catch and anyone worth dating will see that too. It doesn't matter how many single men are in a city, as long as there is 1 that I'm interested in who is interested in me too. I'm not planning on dating all of the thousands of single men at any given time in my city.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:27 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partypartyparty View Post
Age 21-29

Miami is 1.01
LA - 1.04
SD - 1.16 (Damn wtf... I this was a choice)
NYC - 0.93
CHI - .97

Well it looks like CHI and NYC are the only ones.

That being said, Tampa is looking alright. Is it big enough though?
No offense, but if you’re seriously worried about a difference of 1.16 vs .93 in a M/F ratio you probably aren’t gonna have much luck dating anywhere you go. San Diego is filled with beautiful women, and men too for that matter, and it’s a fun place to be young and single.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:32 PM

481 posts, read 422,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I'm a single woman in this demographic and the last thing I worry about is if I'm going to find a man in my city. Except maybe if I ever moved to DC where there is an extreme imbalance. I know I'm a catch and anyone worth dating will see that too. It doesn't matter how many single men are in a city, as long as there is 1 that I'm interested in who is interested in me too. I'm not planning on dating all of the thousands of single men at any given time in my city.
Forgive my bias, but it seems like women have a far easier time dating than most men do. Heck, my average-looking female friend gets tons of matches on dating apps. For me and many other guys, it's often radio silence. Dead air. Nothing. Since you know you're a "catch", you could stand in the Sonaran desert and there'd prolly be dudes running out to meet you.

Although I tried to give OP some good vibes, as a fellow guy I understand where he's coming from. It feels harder to find someone as a guy, and thus a greater imperative to stack the odds in our favor by finding imbalanced cities. It's just not the same, imo. I do feel like OP is overthinking the demographics a bit though. As long as he's not in Man Jose, he's fine.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:17 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,389,750 times
Wow, searching out dating ops via city sex ratios. How mechanical. If you're worth dating, ratios don't mean squat. When I was your age I lived in a medium sized city with a large military population with more guys than women and never lacked for dating opportunities. I wasn't rich or gorgeous either.

Didn't you just go through this exercise about six months ago? I doubt things have changed drastically from the recommendations you got then.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:22 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Anywhere really. pick the city that has the climate and scene that you like.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:51 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
With the exception of Chicago and LV (can't stand the thoughts of living in LV, lol), all of the places you mentioned are expensive. I'd look at the Tampa/St. Petersburg area. Lots to do, I've found the people to be very friendly, my favorite beaches anywhere, and on your salary, your $$$ will go a long way. Plus no state income tax.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:03 AM

483 posts, read 354,052 times
I guess the question is are you dating just to get laid to or find someone to settle down with. Given your user name the former seems more likely. If the purpose of your dating is to find "the one" then you need to think about where you want to be long-term because most women want to be near their family and network when they want to have children and start their own family. It sounds like you have the bait to attract women in general so it probably doesn't matter where you go but clearly the bigger the city the better the chances of meeting more women whom you find attractive and vice versa.

Maybe you should think about where you want to be long-term and what kind of life you want to live. If you meet the woman of your dreams you might end up stuck there. Miami, Tijuana and Vegas are fun places but for a lot of people aren't great places to raise a family. The job you're in now might not last forever but given the fact that you're in tech it might make sense to think about the potential to get a job and career wherever you settle down (if you do).

Of your criteria the beach is the toughest one to fill. It sounds like maybe the fitness is more important characteristic while the beach is supporting. The preference for a not so car based lifestyle in daily life eliminates a lot of places.

Personally if I were in your situation my short-list would be San Diego, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, DC, New York and Boston

Old 12-05-2018, 02:45 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
This is a great position to be in. Why not try moving around a bit, test out a few different options? Try 6 months in San Diego, 6 months in Miami, etc. You're only 24!! If you don't want to make those kinds of commitments, then why not take little mini "vacations" at each spot to get a general feel for the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.