Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 03:36 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times

Advertisements

If you don't dig the Winter, why not live in Chicago from say May to October and then live in Miami, Tampa or similar from November to April? Best of both worlds.

As mentioned, Chicago has some kick azz beaches. And an hour or so drive puts you in the Indiana/Michigan Dunes, which offer even more awesome beaches/dunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhJ2mZN5x1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHLjzCLECo

Last edited by flamadiddle; 12-05-2018 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 05:57 PM

57 posts, read 44,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
This is a great position to be in. Why not try moving around a bit, test out a few different options? Try 6 months in San Diego, 6 months in Miami, etc. You're only 24!! If you don't want to make those kinds of commitments, then why not take little mini "vacations" at each spot to get a general feel for the place.
I have been and I'm exhausted of doing it. It might be more enjoyable if I had the right girl to tag along.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
I guess the question is are you dating just to get laid to or find someone to settle down with. Given your user name the former seems more likely. If the purpose of your dating is to find "the one" then you need to think about where you want to be long-term because most women want to be near their family and network when they want to have children and start their own family. It sounds like you have the bait to attract women in general so it probably doesn't matter where you go but clearly the bigger the city the better the chances of meeting more women whom you find attractive and vice versa.

Maybe you should think about where you want to be long-term and what kind of life you want to live. If you meet the woman of your dreams you might end up stuck there. Miami, Tijuana and Vegas are fun places but for a lot of people aren't great places to raise a family. The job you're in now might not last forever but given the fact that you're in tech it might make sense to think about the potential to get a job and career wherever you settle down (if you do).

Of your criteria the beach is the toughest one to fill. It sounds like maybe the fitness is more important characteristic while the beach is supporting. The preference for a not so car based lifestyle in daily life eliminates a lot of places.

Personally if I were in your situation my short-list would be San Diego, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, DC, New York and Boston
Fitness is #1 for sure.

As for your list, I'd never do Seattle or Portland. I gave Seattle a chance because of tech and it was a nightmare.

SD seems awesome, but I don't want to die single.

Denver is def could be good. I'm not sure about Boston or DC.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
If you don't dig the Winter, why not live in Chicago from say May to October and then live in Miami, Tampa or similar from November to April? Best of both worlds.

As mentioned, Chicago has some kick azz beaches. And an hour or so drive puts you in the Indiana/Michigan Dunes, which offer even more awesome beaches/dunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhJ2mZN5x1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHLjzCLECo
I am considering this but I want to buy in Chicago. I need a home and a steady gym.
And possibly pay double rent during the bad winter months. November to April is a big stretch. I'm thinking more of March and April.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:08 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times
Every city has plenty of steady gyms. No need to worry there.
Overall I think Chicago is a pretty safe bet. You get a lot with for your dollar, you even kind of have a beach. Diverse and cosmopolitan population and many option career wise in tech, should the need arise.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Every city has plenty of steady gyms. No need to worry there.
Overall I think Chicago is a pretty safe bet. You get a lot with for your dollar, you even kind of have a beach. Diverse and cosmopolitan population and many option career wise in tech, should the need arise.
But isn't NYC better in every way besides CoL??

Old 12-05-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Forgive my bias, but it seems like women have a far easier time dating than most men do. Heck, my average-looking female friend gets tons of matches on dating apps. For me and many other guys, it's often radio silence. Dead air. Nothing. Since you know you're a "catch", you could stand in the Sonaran desert and there'd prolly be dudes running out to meet you.

Although I tried to give OP some good vibes, as a fellow guy I understand where he's coming from. It feels harder to find someone as a guy, and thus a greater imperative to stack the odds in our favor by finding imbalanced cities. It's just not the same, imo. I do feel like OP is overthinking the demographics a bit though. As long as he's not in Man Jose, he's fine.
Look at a population map of ages between 21-34. Men vastly out number women. It's significantly harder for men to date in 99% of the US. Every little detail counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Wow, searching out dating ops via city sex ratios. How mechanical. If you're worth dating, ratios don't mean squat. When I was your age I lived in a medium sized city with a large military population with more guys than women and never lacked for dating opportunities. I wasn't rich or gorgeous either.

Didn't you just go through this exercise about six months ago? I doubt things have changed drastically from the recommendations you got then.
I totally disagree with you. Demographics are a significant contributor of the dating / number game. I feel that you are much older than me, dating is a struggle for 99% of men and was for me until I figured it out. At the moment, I have no interest in committing to a single girl and no interest in competing with a chick texting 10 other guys.

And yes, I did ask this 6mo ago because I do my research.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:09 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partypartyparty View Post
But isn't NYC better in every way besides CoL??

Yes, but isn't that a big one?

After all you stated:

- Maximizing my remote salary (e.g. No taxes, low COL)

That will not be the case in NYC. Your 140K salary will be much less impressive there. But if that no longer is an issue, and of course can make NYC more that work with that salary, then NYC it is.

After all NYC is top dog in the US and among the top cities on the planet. If it is in contention then frankly I'm not sure why you would even consider other locations.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:45 PM

481 posts, read 423,171 times
Hey OP, to lift your spirits, I found a slightly more intensive map that looks accounts for 'single' status as well.

The New, Interactive Singles Map.

Enjoy

Old 12-05-2018, 09:13 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partypartyparty View Post
Look at a population map of ages between 21-34. Men vastly out number women. It's significantly harder for men to date in 99% of the US. Every little detail counts.

I totally disagree with you. Demographics are a significant contributor of the dating / number game. I feel that you are much older than me, dating is a struggle for 99% of men and was for me until I figured it out. At the moment, I have no interest in committing to a single girl and no interest in competing with a chick texting 10 other guys.

And yes, I did ask this 6mo ago because I do my research.
Totally disagree back at you. I admitted I was older. You use that keen observation as part of your dating routine? I live in one of those big blue dots. Dating was never a problem. Ever. At a significantly lower income level too. If you need that level of detail for successful dating, then you haven't really figured it out.

I'm thinking the Jersey shore is well suited to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.