Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:19 PM

57 posts, read 44,446 times

Advertisements

I am:
- 24 year
- Salary >140k on SF tech salary
- Remote employee / running a biz
- Single and like dating

I value the following:
- Dating scene (very important)
- Fitness (very important)
- Maximizing my remote salary (e.g. No taxes, low COL)
- Events
- Beach (People are just happier, fit, chill when they live near a beach)
- Public transportation (I like walking since I work from home)
- Tech (no so important as I hate techies but I am one)
- Friendly people (After seeing the Seattle Freeze - Seattle was a big NOPE)
- Food (The food in Chiang Mia was soooo good and cheap)

I'm considering the following cities:

- Chicago River North - #1 on my list. I keep looking at condos in River North over looking the river. Probably the BEST city for dating outside NYC. Cold as **** and no beach. I see <300k condos that overlook the river and I predict the property would rise year over year.

- Fort Lauderdale Beach Front or Miami - FtLaud has low COL, FL has no state income. The dating scene does looks bad. I would likely get a beach front condo. And I would have to drive which I'm not a fan.

- Las Vegas Strip - Possibly good dating scene? Cheap COL, 70$ flights anywhere. Infinite entertainment. Hyped. Sketchy outside the strip.

- NYC - Expensive, but I could afford it. Seems like a more expensive version of Chicago that isn't worth the extras.

- LA - Expensive. I don't know much here.

- San Diego - I keep hearing good things about SD. (But that 13% Cali tax)

If there's a city I'm missing, please recommend let me know.

I am open to moving outside the US too. Possibly Chiang Mia, Phuket, Barcelona, Paris.

Last edited by partypartyparty; 12-02-2018 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 06:34 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Davis, WV. Cool little hipster Mecca that was a former coal mining town. Set among the mountains, with hiking, camping, and skiing nearby. Cute/hip restaurants coffee shop, boutiques, music venues. Be part of bringing back a cool place that almost became a ghost town. When the town was first built in the 1800s it attracted people from all over the world to work in the mines, so the architecture is very eclectic.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:06 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Chicago does have beaches and the beaches are in the city itself. They're freshwater beaches, but Lake Michigan takes up the horizon and some of the beaches are quite large. Different beaches attract different crowds and activities.

Miami's transit system isn't the worst and it's sufficient to get around along with rideshare. I like Miami a lot, but it did strike me that my mental of Miami didn't originally have as many obese and overweight people before I actually visited.

Honolulu can fit a lot of what you're saying, but it is very remote and off by itself.

As for traveling/living abroad, do you speak any languages aside from English or have dual citizenship?

Old 12-03-2018, 07:13 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Davis, WV. Cool little hipster Mecca that was a former coal mining town. Set among the mountains, with hiking, camping, and skiing nearby. Cute/hip restaurants coffee shop, boutiques, music venues. Be part of bringing back a cool place that almost became a ghost town. When the town was first built in the 1800s it attracted people from all over the world to work in the mines, so the architecture is very eclectic.
It looks like nearby Thomas is similar in that regard: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1502...7i13312!8i6656

Old 12-03-2018, 07:16 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times
When people post these things it’s hard to give a truly good recommendation because it depends on what you like, your personality, etc. personally, WV would be a huge no for me regardlesss of how cool the town is.

I’d go with NYC but that’s just me. Maybe Chicago but NYC would be my number one.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:47 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It looks like nearby Thomas is similar in that regard: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1502...7i13312!8i6656
Oops, I meant to say Thomas. We stayed in Davis when we went, but Thomas was definitely the cooler town.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:11 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times
Quote:
I am open to moving outside the US too. Possibly Chiang Mia, Phuket, Barcelona, Paris.

You'd need a visa and/or work permit for many places outside the US, for sure in Europe. Also cities like Paris are not cheap at all. Your rent and daily expenses would be in Euros. Also you'd need a good CPA for taxes. Some European countries will tax you while you live there ON TOP of Uncle Sam back home who still wants his cut.

To answer your original question. Chicago might be a good fit. I always consider it as a city where you get quite a lot for buck. With 140K you should be pretty comfortable there as a single young man.

Perhaps also Philadelphia, of course there is no beach. If the beach is a concession you can make, then the big 3 in Texas might also be an option. Or Atlanta, in other words you selection would increase quite a bit.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:51 AM

492 posts, read 536,080 times
I would consider Atlanta.. It was ranked the best city for singles 2 times in the last 5 years. >140k will fetch you a decent lifestyle there.. There are plenty of fish in the pond and the weather is bearable compared to Chicago or NY most of the winter..

If you have the flexibility of living outside US, I would highly recommend looking at Spain, Portugal, Thailand, Colombia, Brazil, India etc. Your salary will go a long way there and once you start making friends there, you will have a vibrant social life there.. Life in the US is mostly geared towards work and family and the social part of the life is pretty much non-existent after college. I worked remotely for several years and life was miserable and I really missed that social interaction. I relocated to India after a couple of years as my company had a development center there. I was still working remotely there but was able to go out and make a lot of friends and loved the experience. Made a lot of friends, dated several women, most of Asia was within a couple of hours of flight so I travelled all over Asia - India, Nepal, Himalayas, Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand, China etc. Had to comeback after a couple of years for other reasons, but I highly recommend it to anyone young and single with the opportunity to work remotely. The pace of life is quite laid back in these countries and you will have the opportunity to experience other ways of living, cultures and cuisines. Honestly it was a very enlightening experience for me.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:55 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Live in Mexico, rent a workspace in a border US city to get around the work visa issue.

https://theoutline.com/post/2219/the...=1&zi=7ozp35sd

Old 12-03-2018, 12:38 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partypartyparty View Post
Rethink this. The US taxes its citizens no matter where they live in the world, only one of 3 countries to do so, regardless of where you earn the salary. The rest of the world taxes by residency (that would be you). The US only allows exemption for $104k per year; so, expect some taxation in both countries regardless. But consider this: some countries don't even have a tax treaty with the US, so double taxation on your US income and there:Countries with and without Income Tax Treaties with the U.S. – South Florida – Tax – Asset Protection – Attorney – Palm Beach County – Boca Raton – Corporate – Lawyer – Estate Planning – Tru
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.