Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 10:30 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times

Advertisements

American Horror Story: Roanoke was supposed to be set in eastern North Carolina near the coast. In one scene it showed the guy supposedly driving back from Raleigh and there were mountains along the way. Not happening, not in ENC!! Filmed in SoCal of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 01:36 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Yes, I grew up near the Appalachians and Delaware water gap. Absolutely beautiful country, nothing like the parking lot stereotype of NJ
I still say out of all 50 states NJ gets the rawest deals in portrayal.

NY, CA, WV, TX, and LA are all commonly stereotyped unfairly, but nothing has as rotten a reputation as New Jersey, and for no good reason really.

Northwest Jersey is just like anywhere in eastern rural upstate NY or PA. Complete with Appalachian foothills. Southern Jersey has a lot of very pleasant farm country and coast.

People think Jersey is all cartoony guidos and NYC runoff.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:40 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,449 times
Chicago is one due to lack of lakefront life/activity that is represented in media. The lake here is a huge component both from a natural standpoint and from a cultural standpoint. IMO during the summer the lakefront has to be one of the busiest waterfronts in the country with beaches, boating, trails, waterside cafes, etc. Yet, one would never think that based on what the media portrays.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
I am guessing Houston would be among the tops? Most people out here in California think all of Texas, even Houston is a desert, and are shocked to learn that Houston has a very similar climate and landscape to Florida.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:01 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
And obvious Vancouver locations standing in for Seattle.
This is one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of...se_(1995_film)

Grey's Anatomy slips constantly with CA seeping into the background while it plays Seattle. There was also an episode where snow/ice was an overbearing theme and I felt they went overboard with it.

Took place in CA, filmed so obviously in GA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Family

But sometimes film/TV makers do a good job. The Sandlot takes place in the San Fernando Valley of the 1950's, and Salt Lake City did a fine job IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Dumb and Dumber was the first movie I ever noticed issues with a filming location. Minor thing, but the opening scene with the limo and the "That's a lovely accent you have... New Jersey?" exchange was set on Hope Street in Providence, but clearly was not filmed there (it was filmed in Atlanta). Hope St. is a fairly narrow, classic New England urban st. that cuts through Providence's East Side (by Brown U). Hope St. in the film was wide and suburban. As a kid I knew that was wrong.
Early in the road trip portion of the film there are a few shots of western-style mountains in the background. Kills it. And when the FBI is tailing them, one of the agents says they were seen "heading west on I-80 towards Colorado". I-80 never enters Colorado.

The proper sequel failed a ton too, everything looks like Georgia. Everything. Even El Paso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This is the Golden Girls house. Notice it's in Los Angeles, not Miami:

https://goo.gl/maps/jrYLjT5rjDBEeNyS7
My life is ruined.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:24 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
American Horror Story: Roanoke was supposed to be set in eastern North Carolina near the coast. In one scene it showed the guy supposedly driving back from Raleigh and there were mountains along the way. Not happening, not in ENC!! Filmed in SoCal of course
Maybe he stopped in to Asheville not he way home to Raleigh.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:08 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I am guessing Houston would be among the tops? Most people out here in California think all of Texas, even Houston is a desert, and are shocked to learn that Houston has a very similar climate and landscape to Florida.
We do? Maybe that’s just what you thought and assumed everyone else thought the same.

While I won’t make a blanket statement like your’s, I’m guessing many know of Houston’s reputation for hot and humid weather and it’s location on the Gulf of Mexico, both of which don’t scream desert. I saw enough of it growing up in movies like Urban Cowboy and Reality Bites before ever setting foot there to know it wasn’t a desert.

As for the rest of the state, to me at least, it seems to be portrayed more as the Great Plains than desert once outside its major cities. I’m willing to bet most people (even here in California) think of it this way as well.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
We do? Maybe that’s just what you thought and assumed everyone else thought the same.

While I won’t make a blanket statement like your’s, I’m guessing many know of Houston’s reputation for hot and humid weather and it’s location on the Gulf of Mexico, both of which don’t scream desert. I saw enough of it growing up in movies like Urban Cowboy and Reality Bites before ever setting foot there to know it wasn’t a desert.

As for the rest of the state, to me at least, it seems to be portrayed more as the Great Plains than desert once outside its major cities. I’m willing to bet most people (even here in California) think of it this way as well.
Agreed, I think most people realize that Houston is a steamy gulf coast town. If for no other reasons the number of hurricanes that hit that part of Texas.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Houston was misrepresented in a few old movies or TV shows. Maybe an old western or Texas revolution/pioneer production.

As for the "great plains" part of Texas. It is certainly different than the great plains to the north. If somebody tried to portray that part of Texas without a mesquite tree in the shot I'd cry foul.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:41 PM

434 posts, read 1,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Dumb and Dumber was the first movie I ever noticed issues with a filming location. Minor thing, but the opening scene with the limo and the "That's a lovely accent you have... New Jersey?" exchange was set on Hope Street in Providence, but clearly was not filmed there (it was filmed in Atlanta). Hope St. is a fairly narrow, classic New England urban st. that cuts through Providence's East Side (by Brown U). Hope St. in the film was wide and suburban. As a kid I knew that was wrong.
Was that scene Atlanta? According to IMDB, most the movie was filmed in Utah and Colorado, with no mention of Georgia. To me the first scene looks like it was filmed in Salt Lake City. The sequel was filmed in Georgia.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:55 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Agreed, I think most people realize that Houston is a steamy gulf coast town. If for no other reasons the number of hurricanes that hit that part of Texas.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Houston was misrepresented in a few old movies or TV shows. Maybe an old western or Texas revolution/pioneer production.

As for the "great plains" part of Texas. It is certainly different than the great plains to the north. If somebody tried to portray that part of Texas without a mesquite tree in the shot I'd cry foul.
I was down in Texas for the Alamo Bowl this winter, and we took back roads from San Antonio to DFW. The area between Waco and Dallas (Blackland prairies) was just shockingly similar to home (north Iowa) in terms of topography, and the heavy amount of row crop (especially corn) farming going on. The biggest difference was the lack of snow!

But seriously, you could have taken a picture of the countryside around there when the crops were at full bloom, tell me it was taken in the county where I grew up, and I would believe you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.