Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 01:03 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Much of the movie takes place in and around Muncie, Indiana. So why are there scenes of freeways with toll booths shown? Muncie is nowhere near the Indiana or Ohio Turnpikes.
Also, during the UFO chase scene, the characters are seen driving along the treacherous mountain roads of Muncie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 07:09 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Washington DC is very regularly misrepresented in various TV shows and movies. First off, DC does not have any skyscrapers as building height restrictions prohibit anything higher than the Washington Monument. Yet in movies like Transformers you see streets lined with towering skyscrapers, and you see this too in Homeland which was filmed in Charlotte. Transformers also had a scene in Dulles Airport outside DC that was filmed in Arizona with desert mountains in the background. There was a seen in 24 Season 7 supposedly set in Washington DC with desert mountains because that was filmed in California. I do think Arlington Road and 24 Legacy actually did a good job subbing the Houston suburbs and the Atlanta suburbs for the DC area.

Now here are the WORST movies for poor filming locations ......

1. Transformers - see above
Transformers (was it Transformers 2?) may be the most jarring for me, especially that desert scene. I believe they were supposed to be at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in DC, but, but what was actually displayed was the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles (like you mentioned). I get that it's a nitpick, but they're two entirely separate facilities (albeit under the same umbrella). And then as you pointed out, the Transformer steps outside and is clearly in the Arizona desert. This goes way beyond cinematic suspension of belief in my opinion.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:05 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Connecticut is always represented as ultra rich suburbia. Hollywood has decided CT doesn't exist outside of Fairfield County. Much of the state is small towns, even pretty redneck.
I remember reading this essay that noted that the fictional Connecticut town in Gilmore Girls (Stars Hollow) basically doesn't look like anything in Connecticut, because unlike Massachusetts or New York, Connecticut has real dearth of cutesy walkable small towns which weren't ruined by streetside parking lots and the like.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:50 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I remember reading this essay that noted that the fictional Connecticut town in Gilmore Girls (Stars Hollow) basically doesn't look like anything in Connecticut, because unlike Massachusetts or New York, Connecticut has real dearth of cutesy walkable small towns which weren't ruined by streetside parking lots and the like.
If you want to walk through Stars Hollow take the Warner Bros studio tour in Los Angeles (Burbank). It’s all there and is cool if you’re a fan of the show (my wife is, ok maybe I am too). It’s also Hazard from “The Dukes of Hazardâ€, and a slew of other places I grew up watching. Highly recommended.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:04 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
In the movie "The Internship" with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, they were partying in San Francisco through the night all the way until the sun started to come up. The group of them was just outside the city in the Marin headlands as the sun was starting to rise for the day...except that the sun doesn't rise over the Pacific Ocean. That's where it sets.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:09 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
In a lot of Cop shows they’ll get across LA is like 7 minutes or go from Manhattan to the Poconos and back in like an afternoon.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:35 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,746 times
There was a movie where Mel Gibson was a Boston Cop, but he went to Northampton or Amherst and the people there still had a Boston accent.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:50 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
This always bothered me too!

Okay... sorry if these were already mentioned.

That 70's Show. Takes place in Wisconsin. The scenes where they go to the cabin in the mountains... yeah. So I suppose the cabin could be in the rugged driftless region, but I am pretty sure it is supposed to be far northern Wisconsin. So... why is the backdrop a photo of the Rockies? What really gets me about this is that it's not even filmed in the wild. It is in a sound stage. So why is the background so wrong?

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. The opening sequence. Unless they literally drove all the way to western Montana from Chicago to get a tree, that is definitely not ANYWHERE near Chicago, or Illinois even.

The Scary Stories movie. A new one! Takes place in Pennsylvania, in a town called Mill Valley. Valley being the keyword. But there is one long scene where they are standing and speaking in an open gravel area. You can see that the terrain around them for miles is flat, and the forestry is suspiciously not northeastern.

The Walking Dead. Too many areas in "Virginia" are obviously still Georgia. I am a tree and landscape nerd, I can't help but to notice.

Any work of fiction that puts mountains in Florida or Mississippi. :/

The Office. There are a few scenes where the Californian mountains are too obvious. Scranton is surrounded by the Appalachians, so there are mountains and hills, but they are not dry, dusty, brushy desert mountains.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:52 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
There was a movie where Mel Gibson was a Boston Cop, but he went to Northampton or Amherst and the people there still had a Boston accent.
ooooof Accents is another bag of cats entirely!

Nobody EVER gets New Orleans right, or upstate NY.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:07 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKcJ-0bAHB4

Now I like to joke about Alabama as much as the next guy but this isn't accurate of the state as a whole. However if the writings were something negative about the Crimson Tide Football team it would be At least the Auburn fans would offer protection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.