Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 03:47 PM

6,811 posts, read 4,246,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The Office. There are a few scenes where the Californian mountains are too obvious. Scranton is surrounded by the Appalachians, so there are mountains and hills, but they are not dry, dusty, brushy desert mountains.

Pretty much every outdoor shot on that show is very obviously in L.A., you don't even have to see mountains. I don't know if they originally ever intended to do outdoor shots at all, after all the classic sitcom format doesn't really ask for it, but they clearly just didn't even care. And really..it's about the humor of it, not realism...the whole show is crazy anyway.

It's different with drama where the atmosphere and scenery matter more as you want people to take things seriously. I believe with Dexter they went out to Miami to shoot some stuff early on so they'd have some shots of Miami landmarks with the characters seen to establish credibility..but after that it was shot all in Long Beach/L.A.. Long Beach has some Miami-looking areas and is far from the mountains and desert, so I think it actually worked pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 04:23 PM

700 posts, read 422,416 times
People outside of NYC really think NYC’s land is 100% buildings.

I had an argument with a lady from Virginia who tried to argue with me that NYC has no houses with backyards.

For a second I thought perhaps this person is seriously uneducated but then I can’t blame her. The NYC media is strictly based on Manhattan and Northern Brooklyn.

With the ghetto images mostly focused in the South Bronx.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:32 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,547,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Pretty much every outdoor shot on that show is very obviously in L.A., you don't even have to see mountains. I don't know if they originally ever intended to do outdoor shots at all, after all the classic sitcom format doesn't really ask for it, but they clearly just didn't even care. And really..it's about the humor of it, not realism...the whole show is crazy anyway.
True, though buildings fall better under suspension of disbelief than terrain and biome.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:48 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,468,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Not necessarily movies but half of Texas nonsense merchandise (think keychains and such) show saguaros when saguaros clearly do not grow that far east by El Paso or even towards San Antonio. As an Arizonan that really grinds my gears. I’m sure if I dig deep enough I could find a TV show or movie referencing El Paso or New Mexico with saguaros in it. Or Vegas, or Palm Springs...

Honestly though, I do wish saguaros DID grow in Texas and New Mexico as well as southern Nevada. They're the coolest! Speaking of cacti (and your username), I recently bought a little prickly pear which I named "Captain Howdy." There were definitely lots of prickly pear where I lived throughout Texas.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
My favorite is the one where they are doing a 5k or some sort of fun run and they are jogging past fences covered in Bougainvillea. I think it was filmed somewhere in the Valley. Not exactly native vegetarian for Scranton.

There are plenty of palm trees in Texas. Just go to Houston or anywhere else near the Gulf Coast. They're more the Florida type palms than the California palms though.

Yea but Arlen, where the show takes place, is portrayed to be much further north than the coast. When the characters DO go to the coast (like South Padre, Port Aransas etc.) they DO show palm trees. In episodes where they go further west, they show desert scenery. They do a pretty good job of showing the Texas landscape in animation. Also, having lived in northern Texas, the very few palms that are obviously non-native, don't look very healthy lol.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This is the Golden Girls house. Notice it's in Los Angeles, not Miami:

https://goo.gl/maps/jrYLjT5rjDBEeNyS7

Not terribly out of place, though. When I was in LA a few years back I kept thinking on how similar it looks to Miami, aside from the brownness and mountains in the distant. Miami isn't as green (in terms of trees) as most of Florida. I wonder if its cuz of the natural setting or something else. The Everglades naturally don't have many trees.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Anytime a film or tv show mentions Mississippi, start rolling eyes.

Mississippi Damned - Not even in the state.

What about Mississippi Burning? Seemed pretty accurate to me.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
New Orleans is often poorly portrayed. They may get the scenery correct by actually filming there, but the accents are either totally wrong (Gone With the Wind type Southern) or weirdly exaggerated (locals using French expressions).

Things set in the South are often poorly done accent-wise. Most people in the South don't have a Lower South/Old Money South/Plantation accent. A fake drawl is really easy to spot.

I'm pretty well at telling an upper south, deep south and western south (TX and OK) accent. Texans are often the most accurately done in movies but thats probably because there's a higher amount of actual Texans in the film industry.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:25 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What about Mississippi Burning? Seemed pretty accurate to me.
The internet says that it was filmed in Mississippi and Alabama so it was accurate.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
This always bothered me too!

Okay... sorry if these were already mentioned.

That 70's Show. Takes place in Wisconsin. The scenes where they go to the cabin in the mountains... yeah. So I suppose the cabin could be in the rugged driftless region, but I am pretty sure it is supposed to be far northern Wisconsin. So... why is the backdrop a photo of the Rockies? What really gets me about this is that it's not even filmed in the wild. It is in a sound stage. So why is the background so wrong?

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. The opening sequence. Unless they literally drove all the way to western Montana from Chicago to get a tree, that is definitely not ANYWHERE near Chicago, or Illinois even.

The Scary Stories movie. A new one! Takes place in Pennsylvania, in a town called Mill Valley. Valley being the keyword. But there is one long scene where they are standing and speaking in an open gravel area. You can see that the terrain around them for miles is flat, and the forestry is suspiciously not northeastern.

The Walking Dead. Too many areas in "Virginia" are obviously still Georgia. I am a tree and landscape nerd, I can't help but to notice.

Any work of fiction that puts mountains in Florida or Mississippi. :/

The Office. There are a few scenes where the Californian mountains are too obvious. Scranton is surrounded by the Appalachians, so there are mountains and hills, but they are not dry, dusty, brushy desert mountains.

Yea I remember that about Christmas Vacation. So many pine trees and not like what you'll see anywhere in Illinois. Even here in Minnesota you have to go pretty far north to see scenery like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.