Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 09:49 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
Was that scene Atlanta? According to IMDB, most the movie was filmed in Utah and Colorado, with no mention of Georgia. To me the first scene looks like it was filmed in Salt Lake City. The sequel was filmed in Georgia.
I stand corrected. It was in Salt Lake City - Dumb & Dumber (1994) Filming Locations - The Movie District

Still, not even a close representation of Hope St. which looks a lot more like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8256...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 01:24 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I was down in Texas for the Alamo Bowl this winter, and we took back roads from San Antonio to DFW. The area between Waco and Dallas (Blackland prairies) was just shockingly similar to home (north Iowa) in terms of topography, and the heavy amount of row crop (especially corn) farming going on. The biggest difference was the lack of snow!

But seriously, you could have taken a picture of the countryside around there when the crops were at full bloom, tell me it was taken in the county where I grew up, and I would believe you.
That is very true. I drove from Minneapolis through Iowa on my way back to Oklahoma in October of 2017 and noted how much northern Iowa looked like parts of central Oklahoma and Texas at least that time of year.

Funny thing was the ISU football team followed me to Norman that very week and beat the Sooners that Saturday.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:50 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I did a study of Vancouver locations standing in for Seattle, and it is amazing...

Made for TV movies: 341 films that were set in Seattle, and filmed in Vancouver

Theater movies: 47 films that were set in Seattle, and filmed in Vancouver

I wonder how Vancouverites feel about this?

My sister has lived in Vancouver since the 1980s and my brother-in-law is a native. Vancouver landmarks show up in an endless series of movies. "Chicago" in I, Robot. The new Planet of the Apes movies. The infrastructure is all there to shoot footage without the huge expense of location shots where there's no infrastructure and you have to fly the crew in and pay their travel expenses. Personally, I don't have a problem with it.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:45 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
That is very true. I drove from Minneapolis through Iowa on my way back to Oklahoma in October of 2017 and noted how much northern Iowa looked like parts of central Oklahoma and Texas at least that time of year.

Funny thing was the ISU football team followed me to Norman that very week and beat the Sooners that Saturday.
We were down in Stillwater for ISU/OSU in 2014 and thought pretty much everything once you got past the Flint Hills until the Stillwater exit on 35 looked like home. Once the crops are off and you get into that fall stage where things dry out and die off, the topography and natural plant life are very similar.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:36 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
"Little House on the Prairie" had an episode "Jonathan's Mountain" where Ernest Borgnine was a hermit living on a mountain.
There are no mountains in southern Minnesota.

Also, the show was set in the 1880s, and yet the village doctor had a telephone. Telephones were only invented in 1876 or 78? and in the 1880s, only existed a couple of large eastern cities. It was much too expensive to string lines in rural areas. Another episode showed Nellie Oleson recording Laura Ingalls gossiping on a recorder. Gramophones had barely been invented, and certainly no one in a prairie village would have one. There would have been no electricity, in fact many rural areas of America didn't get electricity until the 1940s. Another episode in one of the last seasons, showed Laura traveling to Arizona to take a university class and meeting Ralph Waldo Emerson. But, Arizona at that time was a rough primitive territory. I can't imagine a poor teacher from Minnesota traveling that extreme distance, using multiple trains, just to take a class.

Laverne and Shirley in their sitcom, had metropolitan New York accents, though the show was set in Milwaukee. The movie "Rocky" had Sylvester Stallone speaking in a New York accent. Philadelphia, although nearby, has a very different accent (which is described in detail on Wikipedia under "Philadelphia accent").

The Patty Duke show
was set in Brooklyn Heights, NY, according to the words of the theme song. But the wholesome, white-bread characters all seem like they could be from someplace like Utah. The same way with the sitcom "Family Affair" where the family, including children, lived in a high-rise in Manhattan, yet seemed so wholesome, slow-spoken, and polite.
Patty Duke is from NYC. Not sure what her natural accent sounded like, but maybe she downplayed her NY accent for her career. OTOH, lots of wealthy people from NYC had a transatlantic accent that you hear in lots of old movies. She sounded kind of like that to me, but in her case it was probably taught.

In Family Affair, the kids were from Terra Haute Indiana so that explains their accent. That was mentioned many times on the show.

Last edited by JMT; 09-16-2019 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: North America only

Old 09-16-2019, 07:46 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
LA is making a comeback for filming, but for a decade or more, most movies set in LA were filmed in Vancouver, Louisiana, or Atlanta.

On the flip side, downtown LA stands in for pretty much downtown anywhere USA. Whenever you're watching a movie with a city scene, look and see if you see red curbs. If so, it's probably LA or at least California.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:44 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
[b]The movie "Rocky" had Sylvester Stallone speaking in a New York accent. Philadelphia, although nearby, has a very different accent (which is described in detail on Wikipedia under "Philadelphia accent").
I dunno about this one. Having dealt with many, many people from Philly over the years I can say with confidence that his accent was pretty much spot on to some of them. It's not quite an NYC accent either. I'd say it's a little more Jersey.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:38 PM

127 posts, read 111,696 times
This one is about climate, not topography, but I guess that counts as geography, too.

I remember one episode of How I Met Your Mother, it was a winter episode (show is set in NYC, Manhattan specifically).

Robin is the only Canadian character there and she grew up in Vancouver, BC.
Ted grew up in Cleveland, Marshall in St. Cloud, MN and Barney and Lilly both in NYC area (Barney Staten Island, Lilly LI, I think).

All of those places, including where they are now, are way way colder and snowier than Vancouver, yet they made a joke about Robin going out in a skirt or something like that and the rest were freezing to death.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
We do? Maybe that’s just what you thought and assumed everyone else thought the same.

While I won’t make a blanket statement like your’s, I’m guessing many know of Houston’s reputation for hot and humid weather and it’s location on the Gulf of Mexico, both of which don’t scream desert. I saw enough of it growing up in movies like Urban Cowboy and Reality Bites before ever setting foot there to know it wasn’t a desert.

As for the rest of the state, to me at least, it seems to be portrayed more as the Great Plains than desert once outside its major cities. I’m willing to bet most people (even here in California) think of it this way as well.
And considering that east Texas has the most people per square mile in Texas, that's really ironic because East Texas looks about like Georgia. I'm talking about nearly half the state of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.