Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
New Orleans is often poorly portrayed. They may get the scenery correct by actually filming there, but the accents are either totally wrong (Gone With the Wind type Southern) or weirdly exaggerated (locals using French expressions).

Things set in the South are often poorly done accent-wise. Most people in the South don't have a Lower South/Old Money South/Plantation accent. A fake drawl is really easy to spot.
Amen to that and it drives me CRAZY.

However, in defense of films set in New Orleans, I have to give a shout out to two that did it well - The Big Easy and Love Song for Bobby Long. Wow, they are both evocative and well done. Also, the miniseries Treme. Wow, it is by far the most realistic show about New Orleans that I have ever seen - and I love it.

Sandra Bullock nails a southern accent - but she has deep southern roots. Same with New Orleans native Harry Connick, Jr., and native southerners Morgan Freeman, Andie McDowell, Dolly Parton, Dennis Quaid, Julia Roberts, Octavia Spencer, Reese Witherspoon, Renee Zellweger, and Matthew McConaughey.

Their accents are music to my ears. Now, Reba McEntire also has a southern accent but she has Oklahoma roots and WOW those are some twangy accents (those and those of Arkansas tend to really twang). A bit much for me to stomach and I'm FROM the south!

I lived in Georgia for ten years through high school and college and went back there for a class reunion a few years ago and all my friends were like, "Oh mah GOODNESS, you hay-ave such a Texas TWANG now. Y'all come listen to her!" There are lots of regional differences between southern accents. The thing I noticed about east Texas accents when I first moved here was that words like "light," "bright," "right," etc sound like "lahght," "brahght," "rahght," etc. I like it but it's different. In Georgia I think people speak more slowly but it's also more melodic. Louisiana has it's own thang going the further south you go! Alabama, Mississippi, and SC sound a lot like Georgia to me. Tennessee to me sounds like a cross between Georgia and Texas. NC and VA don't have as slow a speech pattern as Georgia or SC but I think they still have a genteel sort of drawl to them. The accents in the Appalachians and the Ozarks are both different from the "lowland" accents. Just my personal take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 09:53 AM

858 posts, read 681,295 times
Almost any western movie or TV show set in Texas.
They almost always show vast mountain ranges!

Old 08-21-2019, 10:13 AM

349 posts, read 244,103 times
A few days ago my husband and I watched Sgt Will Gardner. Towards the end of the movie, the main character travels from NM to Arlington National Cemetery. Before going into Arlington, there’s shots of him riding into DC - the Capitol, etc. Then all of the sudden is in Arlington. Which is in Virginia. Why drive into DC just to ride back out again (facepalm)

Another classic is Die Hard 2. It’s set at Dulles airport but looks nothing like it, and on top of it Bruce Willis uses a Pacific Bell payphone, lol!

Old 08-21-2019, 10:45 AM

795 posts, read 482,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen to that and it drives me CRAZY.

However, in defense of films set in New Orleans, I have to give a shout out to two that did it well - The Big Easy and Love Song for Bobby Long. Wow, they are both evocative and well done. Also, the miniseries Treme. Wow, it is by far the most realistic show about New Orleans that I have ever seen - and I love it.

Sandra Bullock nails a southern accent - but she has deep southern roots. Same with New Orleans native Harry Connick, Jr., and native southerners Morgan Freeman, Andie McDowell, Dolly Parton, Dennis Quaid, Julia Roberts, Octavia Spencer, Reese Witherspoon, Renee Zellweger, and Matthew McConaughey.

Their accents are music to my ears. Now, Reba McEntire also has a southern accent but she has Oklahoma roots and WOW those are some twangy accents (those and those of Arkansas tend to really twang). A bit much for me to stomach and I'm FROM the south!

I lived in Georgia for ten years through high school and college and went back there for a class reunion a few years ago and all my friends were like, "Oh mah GOODNESS, you hay-ave such a Texas TWANG now. Y'all come listen to her!" There are lots of regional differences between southern accents. The thing I noticed about east Texas accents when I first moved here was that words like "light," "bright," "right," etc sound like "lahght," "brahght," "rahght," etc. I like it but it's different. In Georgia I think people speak more slowly but it's also more melodic. Louisiana has it's own thang going the further south you go! Alabama, Mississippi, and SC sound a lot like Georgia to me. Tennessee to me sounds like a cross between Georgia and Texas. NC and VA don't have as slow a speech pattern as Georgia or SC but I think they still have a genteel sort of drawl to them. The accents in the Appalachians and the Ozarks are both different from the "lowland" accents. Just my personal take.

I collectively love the accents of the south!! I love Reba McEntire's accent ☺ as well.

She is not from the South, but I love Maggie the Cat's (Elizabeth Taylor) accent in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:12 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulll View Post
I love Reba McEntire's accent
Quite frankly, even most Oklahomans wonder where Reba got her accent.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Quite frankly, even most Oklahomans wonder where Reba got her accent.
I think it is intentionally exaggerated. I've never met anyone who talked like her.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:10 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,760 times
Connecticut is always represented as ultra rich suburbia. Hollywood has decided CT doesn't exist outside of Fairfield County. Much of the state is small towns, even pretty redneck.

I recently binge watched The Office. I kept noticing it was the sunniest Scranton, PA imaginable. Seemingly every outdoor scene was sunny. I looked it up and......yep, it was filmed in LA.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:34 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I recently binge watched The Office. I kept noticing it was the sunniest Scranton, PA imaginable. Seemingly every outdoor scene was sunny. I looked it up and......yep, it was filmed in LA.
Conversely, I was watching “Den of Thieves” on the plane last year and LA looked so dark and cold. Something didn’t seem right? It wasn’t until a chase scene when all the trees were bare that I realized my instincts were right. Taxiing to the gate I looked it up and it was filmed in Atlanta.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:43 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luo2013 View Post
A few days ago my husband and I watched Sgt Will Gardner. Towards the end of the movie, the main character travels from NM to Arlington National Cemetery. Before going into Arlington, there’s shots of him riding into DC - the Capitol, etc. Then all of the sudden is in Arlington. Which is in Virginia. Why drive into DC just to ride back out again (facepalm)

Another classic is Die Hard 2. It’s set at Dulles airport but looks nothing like it, and on top of it Bruce Willis uses a Pacific Bell payphone, lol!
They move landmarks a lot in cities.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:51 PM

885 posts, read 624,546 times
In the 1986 film, "Something Wild", there is a traffic sequence in which Melanie Griffith and Jeff Daniels drive from New Jersey into Pennsylvania.

The film shows them on a highway with a roadside sign indicating that their characters were leaving NJ and entering PA.

But, NJ and PA have the Delaware River as the entire length of their common border. So, these characters would have had to drive on a bridge and cross over the Delaware in order to leave NJ and enter PA.

For posters who are film buffs, this movie was Ray Liotta's screen debut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.