Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 11:13 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Clarksville, TN may be one to keep an eye out for. It has grown quite a bit, but doesn't really get much press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 11:42 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Clarksville, TN may be one to keep an eye out for. It has grown quite a bit, but doesn't really get much press.
Wow, yeah. A 308k MSA and I couldn't tell you anything about it. I thought it was a small town.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:54 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some of the growth is overflow from Nashville, as Clarksville has a lot of affordable newer housing. There is a state university and large army base as well.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:56 PM

2,918 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Fresno/Visalia/Merced/Bakersfield

The larger SJ valley cities are going to be transformed in the near future, for the better.. However, I'll focus on Fresno.

A billion dollar fund has been created to improve the park system in Fresno. Fresno has one of the worst park systems in the country, but in a few years it will be above average in parks, because of this infusion of cash. You're going to see city wide/river trails, urban trails, pedestrian bridges, new large parks, etc. It's going to dramatically change the city.

New uc hospital is being built in Fresno, new airport terminal is coming, homeless housing is being built, large cleanup projects are happening, mixed use projects are being built, and reinvestment in the most 'ghetto' parts of fresno is going on. All these improvements will bring in more white collar jobs into the city. Eventually, you'll see new high/mid rises being built. With regards to the skyline, the city is focused on fixing up older buildings at the moment.

Oh yeah, this little project called high speed rail is getting built. People can laugh at the project all they want, but it's going to get completed.

Lastly, Fresno is also one of the few cities that will be truly become more beautiful in the upcoming years. You can build more skycrapers in nashville, chattanooga, austin, tulsa, etc, but it's not going to make the cities anymore beautiful - the cities are what they are.
High speed rail and electric cars, however, are going to give cleaner air to fresno, and in turn, make it a more scenic place to be. Now, You might be thinking that people care too much about gas cars in the valley to switch, but gas isn't cheap and it will be skyrocketing in price soon. Once you see cheap teslas/e-suvs, thats a wrap, ppl will switch as soon as possible.

Edit:
Fresno skyline from the highway
Yes, all those old buildings are slated to be fixed. And, this isnt the most flattering angle for the skyline

https://i.ibb.co/T1FWRck/IMG-20210207-114728.jpg

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 02-19-2021 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-19-2021, 05:06 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post

The larger SJ valley cities are going to be transformed in the near future, for the better.. However, I'll focus on Fresno.

A billion dollar fund has been created to improve the park system in Fresno. Fresno has one of the worst park systems in the country, but in a few years it will be above average in parks, because of this infusion of cash. You're going to see city wide/river trails, urban trails, pedestrian bridges, new large parks, etc. It's going to dramatically change the city.

New uc hospital is being built in Fresno, new airport terminal is coming, homeless housing is being built, large cleanup projects are happening, mixed use projects are being built, and reinvestment in the most 'ghetto' parts of fresno is going on. All these improvements will bring in more white collar jobs into the city. Eventually, you'll see new high/mid rises being built. With regards to the skyline, the city is focused on fixing up older buildings at the moment.

Oh yeah, this little project called high speed rail is getting built. People can laugh at the project all they want, but it's going to get completed.

Lastly, Fresno is also one of the few cities that will be truly become more beautiful in the upcoming years. You can build more skycrapers in nashville, chattanooga, austin, tulsa, etc, but it's not going to make the cities anymore beautiful - the cities are what they are.
High speed rail and electric cars, however, are going to give cleaner air to fresno, and in turn, make it a more scenic place to be. Now, You might be thinking that people care too much about gas cars in the valley to switch, but gas isn't cheap and it will be skyrocketing in price soon. Once you see cheap teslas/e-suvs, thats a wrap, ppl will switch as soon as possible.

Edit:
Yes, all those old buildings are slated to be fixed. And, this isnt the most flattering angle for the skyline

All of those are still the most polluted cities in the US, year-round. I would rule out that entire area personally based on that factor alone, in the absence of evidence that pollution levels are meaningfully decreasing. Maybe it’s not an issue for most people but I would be highly concerned about that level of exposure long term if I lived in any of those areas. I highly doubt everyone in SF will be driving a Tesla by 2030.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:07 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post

Edit:

I can see this with Fresno. While I’ve honestly only passed though it a few times, it does have a nice location in the center of the state about equal distance to both San Francisco and Los Angeles. I think this will be huge for those that can work from home, but still want to be within ~3hrs if need be for meetings, etc.

I could be wrong, but I’m sure I’ve seen it on several lists recently for some of the highest increases in real estate prices (and rent) this past year, and I think the aforementioned WFH has something to do with it?

It is off the coast a ways, and it will get toasty in the summer, but the backdrop of the Sierras (and proximity to them, Yosemite, Sequoia, etc) does make for a beautiful settings.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:02 PM

2,918 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
All of those are still the most polluted cities in the US, year-round. I would rule out that entire area personally based on that factor alone, in the absence of evidence that pollution levels are meaningfully decreasing. Maybe it’s not an issue for most people but I would be highly concerned about that level of exposure long term if I lived in any of those areas. I highly doubt everyone in SF will be driving a Tesla by 2030.
The air quality is barely worse than phoenixs, and nobody makes a big deal about phoenix's air.

Of course improvements have happened. You couldn't even see the mountains 20 years ago, now you can see them at sunrise/sunset for much of the year.

Counties/cities are starting to fight sprawl and are looking at building up. While cities outside of CA are still sprawling like crazy. Expect those places to start topping air quality lists(phoenix)

California is the number one market for electric cars, and it will just be extending that lead in the near future.

What does sf have to do with anything?

Old 02-19-2021, 07:23 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Some of the growth is overflow from Nashville, as Clarksville has a lot of affordable newer housing. There is a state university and large army base as well.
I've been interested in Tennessee for awhile, I just don't like the cold winters.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:27 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Birmingham
I've been thinking about Birmigham for awhile. I hope to take a trip to the South soon, exploring the Deep South especially Mississippi and Alabama. Likely I'll start my sojourn in New Orleans and drive up north exploring.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:44 PM

3,889 posts, read 2,202,603 times
What about the Trip Cities area of Tennessee (Kingsport, Bristol and Johnson City)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.